Winalign
Thread poster: Ulrike Möller (X)

Ulrike Möller (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:52
English to German
+ ...
Jun 3, 2009

I have aligned two very large documents and am now correcting the alignment. However, some of the target text ended up far away from the equivalent source. I cannot align them because when I drag the line the screen is not scrolling at the same time - I don't know how else to explain this. Is there a way to "fix" the source side of the document and keep scrolling in the target side?

Thanks in advance.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I know what you mean!! Jun 3, 2009

I know what you mean and can feel the same you are feeling about this, as it has happened to me many times in the past. Indeed when this happens, Winalign's interface can be cumbersome to use because you cannot always shift the two sides of the alignment as far as you need. It is easy to get lost.

My advice is to disconnect the affected segments, copy the text from the original source/target documents to new source/target Word documents containing just that piece,add that pair of files to the alignment project and align that content separately so that you don't lose that text.

I know it sounds a bit like giving up, but I somewhat feel that giving up and using an alternative on that fragment will save you time.

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Uncheck "Synchronised documents" Jun 3, 2009

I use the french version, thus I don't know the English wording, but in the options, select the "Interface" tab and uncheck the box "Synchronised documents" (the first one in my version).

Hope it helps,
Sylvain

Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Disconnect Jun 3, 2009

This happens only when you start scrolling while some connected segments are visible on the screen. If you disconnect all unconfirmed segments (or at least manually disconnect all segments till the needed one), you can scroll down to the target segment without losing sight of the relevant source segment.
It's very inconvenient , but this is the only solution I found so far.

Sometimes it helps to connect all "simple" segments first and then search in only few unpaired segments.

Ulrike Möller (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Jun 3, 2009

Thanks Tomás, that will be my last resort.
Thanks Sylvain, I found it and it works.
Thank you, too, Natalya. Good idea!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Winalign

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search