Opening text as segments strikes text through
Thread poster: Alexandra Beisl

Alexandra Beisl  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:07
English to German
+ ...
Jun 3, 2009

This is a fairly new problem I keep having with Trados Workbench (SDL Trados Version 7.5) in conjunction with Word 2002. When opening a segment, Trados seems to strike through all the text. When I then restore the source all text appears in capital letters. In other words the formatting gets completely mangeled up. Working around this problem by pasting the text into a new file does not work, especially if I want to paste over the formatting. The only thing that seems to kind of solve it is pretranslating the text with the option "segment unknown sentences" and then overtyping the english in the target segments, which is of course not ideal. The clean-up function does not seem to affect the file afterwards. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Word Jun 3, 2009

Hi,
as Word itself is very vulnerable and prone to mistakes, I always suggest that translators use TagEditor to avoid problems.

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Does your Tag Editor open Doc files? Jun 3, 2009

I don't remember in which version TE started supporting DOC's, so if yours does, I highly recommend this option.

Alternatively, I recommend either:
1) not worrying about the format changes for now, or
2) removing all formatting from the document and translating that.

Once you're done, you could auto-translate the document again, as it seems that this option doesn't ruin your document. You might want to use a lower than 100% match treshold for the auto-translation or reset the format penalty to 0. Just in case, keep "Segment unknown sentences" selected.

You might also examine the styles in the doc, modify, and/or reapply them before the translation. It's quite likely that some of the styles are defined with strikethrough and all caps, so Trados uses the default settings for those styles.

Alexandra Beisl  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor is often not an option Jun 3, 2009

because many of my clients are agencies that want segmented colour coded word files back in which 100% and fuzzy matches have certain colors to facilitate editing. So this is a really big problem for me. Plus, I have found that TagEditor does not always keep the formatting when converting the file back into word. So this is kind of frustrating. What worries me is that as opposed to before (i.e. a few weeks ago) it suddenly keeps happening more and more often. No idea why.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening text as segments strikes text through

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search