Thread poster: megane_wang

megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 3, 2009

Hello,

I have been using Trados 2007 and Word 2003.for a long time without major problems.

Three days ago, a customer sent a Word document "ready to work with Trados" (texts marked as translatable / non translatable, and a few segments already translated).

To my surprise, when I opened a segment EVERYTHING WAS CONVERTED TO UPPERCASE (argg), both in the source and target segments. When I closed the segment, EVERYTHING REMAINED IN UPPERCASE + ITALICS (yuk!!!). When I opened and closed the segments again, everything went back to normal caps, but in Italics.

If I have a look at the styles that are being applied, the font is set to Uppercase. No matter how I modify the styles, every time I open a segment EVERYTHING IS BACK TO UPPERCASE (Ayeeee!).

This is driving me crazy. Even worse, now it happens to all my documents, so I think that there may be a damaged template somewhere (?). I have tried to put the trados .dot file again on it's place without success.

Now I don't know how I could recover my old styles.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Ruth @ MW

Alexandra Beisl  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:29
English to German
+ ...
Sounds a bit like my problem posted below Jun 3, 2009

I have since also found out that the problem can be worked around with pasting the text of the file into a new empty document either as "unformatted text" or "formatted text (RTF)" and saving the file under its original file name. But then this changes the font when opening the segments with Trados, an old problem that has occured with my versions of Trados and Word for years now. By the way, in my case this only happens with heavily formatted word files. So far, I have however, not encountered a solution.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

All text formats damaged while working in Word + Trados 2007

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search