Unknown error in Tag Editor with PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml
Thread poster: Joanne Parker

Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:50
Member (2002)
German to English
Jun 3, 2009

Hello,

I am receiving error messages with Tag Editor.

Operating system: Windows Vista
Trados version: 8.3.0.863 SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance
Microsoft Office 2003

Yesterday I was able to work on Word files using Tag Editor. nToday, I receive the following error messages:

1. Unknown error when reading plug-in filter management file:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SDL International\Filters\PluginFileFi
... See more
Hello,

I am receiving error messages with Tag Editor.

Operating system: Windows Vista
Trados version: 8.3.0.863 SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance
Microsoft Office 2003

Yesterday I was able to work on Word files using Tag Editor. nToday, I receive the following error messages:

1. Unknown error when reading plug-in filter management file:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SDL International\Filters\PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml

2. Failed to retrieve tag toolbar settings for plugin file format: Unknown error when reading plug-in filter management file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SDL International\Filters\PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml. Filter definition not found: Trados Word Filter 1.0.0.0.

Steps taken to try to resolve this:

1. Repair Trados. Error messages still displayed.
2. Uninstall and reinstall Trados. Error messages still displayed.
3. Call Trados for support. Told to install upgrade (from SDL Trados 2007 Freelance to SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance ). Upgrade installed. Error messages still displayed after a cost of £148.

My only other option now is to purchase a support contract with SDL Trados, which I am willing to do, but they are being extremely slow in arranging this for me. Meanwhile, I am £148 lighter with the same error message as before, and am unable to work.

Please can anyone help me? I have been battling with this since 9am, so apologies if I have missed out any vital information.

Thank you.
Collapse

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:50
Member (1970)
English
Try this... Jun 3, 2009

Hi Joanne,

We have an article within the SDL knowledge base which should fix this issue. Please read the following article and follow all the instructions provided:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1643&p=1

I understand that you have already repaired the installation however I highly recommend you try the other steps as well.
... See more
Hi Joanne,

We have an article within the SDL knowledge base which should fix this issue. Please read the following article and follow all the instructions provided:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1643&p=1

I understand that you have already repaired the installation however I highly recommend you try the other steps as well.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2009-06-03 13:31 GMT]
Collapse

Member (2002)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Also done this Jun 3, 2009

Hello Gareth,

Many thanks, I have seen this report and also followed the steps. It did not solve the issue.

I have now spent a further £119 on a support contract with SDL.

Fernando Williams
Argentina
Local time: 03:50
English to Spanish
Had same issue Jul 26, 2009

Hi Joanne,

Have the same problem with my software. It happens randomly; sometimes it works perfect and some other times it just stops functioning.

What I always do is the following:

1. Close all SDL programs.
2. Go to Start - All programs - SDL International - SDL Trados 2007
3. Click on "Register Trados SDL 2007". A window opens.
4. I wait for the program to finish the process (the window will close by itself).
5. Done.

... See more
Hi Joanne,

Have the same problem with my software. It happens randomly; sometimes it works perfect and some other times it just stops functioning.

4. I wait for the program to finish the process (the window will close by itself).
5. Done.

It always works for me... hope it helps. Remember it's very important to close all SDL programs first.

By the way, in Windows Vista, I usually get an error while doing this, something like "Microsoft Register has stopped working" (don't remember the exact words, though). If it happens to you, just click on "Close program" and keep waiting till the process ends.

Best of luck!!!
Collapse

henrique cotrim  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
worked for me Jul 27, 2009

hi fernando and joanne!

i was having the exact same problem as joanne... till fernando came along with the solution i needed.

i did as he said, and no more frigging error message on my screen: tageditor is working beautifully.

thanks

Member (2002)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Vista-specific problem Jul 27, 2009

hi,

I had already tried the solutions that are suggested here. Unfortunately, my problem was more complex and was related to Vista-specific issues. The problem was actually related to account user settings, more specifically the problem was that Vista did not think that I was the administrator of the PC when I actually was.

the problem was fixed by turning offthe user account control settings, which has solved the problem and enable travellers to be reinstalled correctl
... See more
hi,

I had already tried the solutions that are suggested here. Unfortunately, my problem was more complex and was related to Vista-specific issues. The problem was actually related to account user settings, more specifically the problem was that Vista did not think that I was the administrator of the PC when I actually was.

the problem was fixed by turning offthe user account control settings, which has solved the problem and enable travellers to be reinstalled correctly. The only downside of this workaround, is that Vista tells me every day that these user settings are off and that they should be reset. However, I just ignore this.

I hope this information helps people who have the same problem in future specifically with Vista.

Kind regards,

Joanne
Collapse

ahjolink
Local time: 08:50
English to Dutch
+ ...
Worked for me too on Windows 7 Mar 6, 2010

I had the same problem with opening the settings file. After registering, the settings file could be opened. Thanks for the help

Erik

Fernando Williams wrote:

Hi Joanne,

5. Done.

It always works for me... hope it helps. Remember it's very important to close all SDL programs first.

By the way, in Windows Vista, I usually get an error while doing this, something like "Microsoft Register has stopped working" (don't remember the exact words, though). If it happens to you, just click on "Close program" and keep waiting till the process ends.

Best of luck!!!

Amanda Nascimento
Brazil
English to Portuguese
Vista-specific problem Aug 16, 2011

Hello Joanne,

Many thanks for sharing the solution here. As you, I had tried all the solutions suggested and nothing worked. With you help, I just turn off the user account control settings and now it seems to work.

Kind regards!

Amanda Nascimento

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unknown error in Tag Editor with PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search