Thread poster: Michael Harris

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:42
Member (2006)
German to English
Jun 3, 2009

Hello everyone,

I need some urgent help. I have been trying to translate some files exported from indesign in TagEditor. The first file I opened, I only had a few problems with TagEditor shutting down for no reason. Since then, I cannot open the file any more and when I try to open the original file again or the file already saved as ttx, I only get the message that TagEditor does not work any more and that was it!
I have received new indesign files and ttx files saved by my customer, but I still have the same problem.
There are also copyright and TM symbols in the document (dont know if they are a disturbance).

I have the update Build 863 installed from the beginning of this year. I am working (unfortunately) on Vista Home Professional.

As I only have this problem with indesign and sometimes with ppt files, I just wanted to find out if anyone else had experienced the same and if not, maybe someone else has a suggestion.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:42
English to Russian
You can't open an .inx file in TagEditor Jun 4, 2009

That's probably the cause of your problems.
To translate InDesign files in TE they should be first exported into the special export format (InDesign Interchange format -*.indd) from the original source file while opened in InDesign. Path: Menu> File> Export, then select InDesign Interchange format. Your client should do this for you, if you don't have InDesign. Then, before translating you should open this file in TE and save it in the same folder with the *.indd file. After translating try to clean it. It should esily convert into the *.indd file, ifyou have not changed any of the tags.
I also work in Windows Vista Home Premium and have no problems.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:42
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
You can read in inx files in TagEditor Jun 4, 2009

Hi Alexey,
thanks for your reply. You can actually read in .inx files in TagEditor, or at least it is an option and I use it quite often.
It is only something that I experience when the files are too large or there may be text overlapping, etc. But this seems to be difficult to elliminate when exporting from Indesign??
Have no experience.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When reading in an indesign inx file...

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search