Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:42
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 4, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I'm having a problem with a bilingual (already translated, I am proofreading it) RTF file. It was the last file I worked on yesterday night, and today it won't open anymore in Word. Other files open, the same file opens in Notepad, but I can't get it to open in Word. I tried from the File>Open menu, I tried double-clicking the file, I tried right-clicking and opening it, nothing worked. Word opens up, but the file doesn't show.

I also tried making a copy of the original translated file, which I then ran through the TM. Auto translate caused all kinds of question marks and stuff in the German segments. So I went through with a combination of Translate to Fuzzy and Get Translation. It all worked fine, but after I closed the file, the same problem occurred: I can't open it anymore.

Do you have an idea what I could try next?

I work with SDL Trados Translator's Workbench 8.0.0.826 (Build 826) and Microsoft Word 2002.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Stefanie

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
You could try opening the file in Open Office Jun 4, 2009

You may lose Trados styles, but you should be able to restore them later in Word using wildcards - this is tricky, but it might work.

Cordula Didion
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TagEditor Jun 4, 2009

Hi,

have you already tried opening the original file in TagEditor and autotranslating it there? It seems easier to handle large files in TagEditor than in Word.
Just an idea ...
Good luck!

Cordula

[Edited at 2009-06-04 13:32 GMT]

SoDi
Germany
Wild guess Jun 4, 2009

I wouldn't think that this could happen while you work with an RTF in Word (it would have to be some kind of software error which I've never experienced), but who knows?

IIRC, at the beginning of an RTF file, there should be some information about the document format: That it is an RTF, what kind of character encoding is used etc. This information is only visible in a text editor, of course.
If something in this area is damaged, Word should not be able to recognize the file as an RTF.
Do you happen to still have an older version of the document? I would try and compare the information at the start of that file with the one you've worked with to see if changes have been made that aren't permissible.

[Edited at 2009-06-04 16:13 GMT]

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:42
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I second Open Office option Jun 4, 2009

It had saved me countless times -even today when certain Word files- each file contained only plain text and then only some 30 words long, but it caused my Word 2003 to crash on each attempt of saving the files (after changing the Properties - removing personal info from them).

Uldis

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

You may lose Trados styles, but you should be able to restore them later in Word using wildcards - this is tricky, but it might work.

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor and Open Office Jun 4, 2009

Thank you all for your input so far.

The file does not open in TagEditor. I tried two times, both times it took ages to load but nothing happened, so I quit the startup process of TagEditor.

As to Open Office, I do not have it on my computer and I am a bit reluctant to try it out in the middle of this large project that I am working on. Especially when this might be a tricky option, as Adam put it.

I guess I'll have to ask my client for advice or search around some more for another solution. Please keep your ideas coming if you can think of something else that I could try.

Thank you.

Stefanie

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Try another Word version Jun 4, 2009

You can ask someone with another Word version to try to open and save it for you. It could be me - I have Word 2003, so if you're interested, just e-mail me. I don't speak German, so your doc will be safeicon_smile.gif

Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Nothing tricky there Jun 4, 2009

Download and installation takes some 10 minutes, it's free, just install it (not whole set, just part needed for text files - options are obvious on installation), open your RTF in it and save as Doc. Might help... and might not, but wouldn't do any harm either.

Uldis

Stefanie Sendelbach wrote:
As to Open Office, I do not have it on my computer and I am a bit reluctant to try it out in the middle of this large project that I am working on. Especially when this might be a tricky option, as Adam put it.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2009-06-04 21:20 GMT]

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
It's not that easy with OO Jun 4, 2009

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Download and installation takes some 10 minutes, it's free, just install it (not whole set, just part needed for text files - options are obvious on installation), open your RTF in it and save as Doc. Might help... and might not, but wouldn't do any harm either.

The "trickiness" is in the fact that OO does not preserve Trados styles, including those of segment delimiters. They may look the same, but Trados won't recognize them, and you'll need to reapply the tw4winmark style to them.

Plus, the conversion is not perfect, except for fairly simple documents.

Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yes, but just trying wouldn't cause any harm Jun 5, 2009

If you save the files with different filenames- in order not to loose the original ones. As Russian proverb goes: "It wouldn't cause any harm, not to mention any improvement"...icon_wink.gif

And trying OO is not painful, doesn't cost any money and very little time. (Computers IS NOT exact science, you knowicon_biggrin.gif ) Of course, the results are unpredictable, but you wouldn't get any worse by trying- OK, you may loose 10 minutes of your time.

With today's files I mentioned earlier in my posting- it worked, but I would have gone grey-haired if I'd tried to find the fault in Word source code- and with 101% probability I wouldn't have any results to boast about...

Uldis

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:
The "trickiness" is in the fact that OO does not preserve Trados styles, including those of segment delimiters. They may look the same, but Trados won't recognize them, and you'll need to reapply the tw4winmark style to them.

Plus, the conversion is not perfect, except for fairly simple documents.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2009-06-05 00:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RTF file not opening in Word

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search