S-Tagger crashes, not converting target files back
Thread poster: SoDi

SoDi
Germany
Local time: 21:20
Jun 4, 2009

While I'm at it, here's a related S-Tagger question, this time S-Tagger for Interleaf, for a translation from German to Russian:

I'm trying to reconvert RTFs back to ILDOC.
There had been some errors due to the different fonts that could be fixed manually (replacing Umlauts and ß within tags with ae, oe, ss etc., both in source and target files). When everything had been fixed - verification = no more "error" - files were run through the conversion process.

Problem:
S-Tagger crashes every time & doesn't indicate why ("The program has found a problem and has to be closed" [translated from German]).
Not sure why, but it seems that the target RTFs concerned also sometimes disappear when S-Tagger crashes like this.
Does anybody have a solution for this?

And btw: In your experience, are German characters like Umlauts in source paths or other file paths a problem for S-Tagger conversion? At least I didn't get an error message, but still ..


 

jfuller
United States
S-Tagger crashes, not converting target files back - same problem Jun 9, 2009

Hello SoDi,

I apologize but I do not have a solution for you, yet. I am experiencing the same problem with another language.

I am converting files which were translated from English to Korean back into ASCII (the QuickSilver file which S-Tagger for Interleaf uses, similar to the ILDOC from Interleaf) format and experience the same problem where "The program has found a problem and has to be closed". I have converted the same file which was translated from English into several other languages including Chinese, Japanese, French, German and Russian with no problems at all.

In one other instance where I experienced this problem, again with English to Korean I was able to resolve the issue by resaving a new ASCII file from QuickSilver, re-converted to TTX format with S-Tagger (I use the TTX format instead of RTF to use TagEditor), reapplied the translations and then the TTX file successfully converted back to the ASCII format.

I've tried that in this new case without success and am searching for a resolution. Since other languages with this same file converted successfully my theory is that it has something to do with a character in the translated text. I'll keep researching this and let you know what I find out.


 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you select "Ancillary" for the back conversion too? Jun 9, 2009

If yes, simply don't select the file and the problem will be gone.
If not and S-Tagger is still crashing, so I'm sorry but I can't help.

Best regards
Jerzy


 

SoDi
Germany
Local time: 21:20
TOPIC STARTER
A workaround Jun 10, 2009

EDIT: Hmm, looks as if this is what you meant, jfuller - I hadn't understood that when writing this down first ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, trying it without the ancillary file didn't change the situation.
However, I've been given a workaround for the situation (this might mean quite some work when the file is large):

NB - For this, you need the original file in the source language.

Make a copy of the problematic target RTF (the one that makes S-Tagger crash).
Open Translator's Workbench and create an empty TM with the languages of your source/target documents. Using this TM, clean the copy of the target RTF.
Then, leave the TM open!
Create new source and target folders.
Open S-Tagger. In S-Tagger settings, mark TTX as the STF format.
Convert the source file.
Open the freshly created target TTX.
In this TTX, open the first translation unit and click "Translate to Fuzzy". Use this function to translate the whole document and convert the TTX into Quicksilver format.

[Supposedly, you already know this, but as a newbie, I found it important to learn that translate to fuzzy stops
a) when it's found a fuzzy match, i. e. for some reason, it hasn't found a 100 % match in the TM - so even if a translation is inserted, one should check in the TM window if it's correct
b) when tags are missing/added in the target language - one should have a quick look if that's OK, too, before going on]

This approach, as I understand it, avoids possible trouble caused by tampering with the tag structure as it may happen in RTFs, doing so by just "harvesting" the translation units from the target RTF.
Still, it meant a lot more work to me than simple conversion.

[Edited at 2009-06-10 14:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-10 14:37 GMT]


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

S-Tagger crashes, not converting target files back

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search