Karel Tatransky  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 06:14
Member (2007)
German to Czech
+ ...
Jun 5, 2009

Hello,
I have a problem with activating my SDL Trados Studio 2009 copy. I was using the RC1 version until yesterday. After the official version was released, I uninstalled the RC1 and installed the new one. I could activate and start Studio successfully. After that, I have returned the RC1 license (my licenses for 2007 and current release of Studio remained). After this, every time I start Studio, the SDL Product Activation dialog is displayed. I choose "I have purchased a license..." and then "Activate online". I type in my license number and the activation runs successfully. After that, nothing happens. If I try to run Studio again, the same dialog appears. In the License Manager, I can see the License for Studio 2009 FL Plus - AutoSuggest Add-on in the View Activated Licenses window.
Any ideas how to solve this?
Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
same problem with Beta Jun 5, 2009

I had the same problem when trying to install the Beta version. Unfortuantely, I forgot what I did to solve the problem.

I can think of three things I may have done:

1. Unistall all Trados versions you have on your PC and make sure you delete the hidden SDL folders in
C:\User\yourname\AppData\Local\
and
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\
Then try re-installing SDL Studio.

2. If you are running a browser other than IE, make IE your default browser

3. Fresh install OS (takes a few hours, but usually solves problem)

Sven De Clercq
Belgium
Member (2008)
German to Dutch
+ ...
same here Jun 5, 2009

I have exactly the same problem (with a fresh installation, no beta or RC).
I've tried deleting and uninstalling but it won't work. I'm not to keen about formatting my hard drive and installing my OS (Vista) and other software all over again..

I've contacted SDL but I expect I won't receive an answer shortly. Does anybody know of any other solutions?

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 07:14
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Any difference between RC1 and the official version? Jun 5, 2009

Karel Tatransky wrote:

I was using the RC1 version until yesterday. After the official version was released, I uninstalled the RC1 and installed the new one.

I hope you will be able to solve the activation problem.

RC1 installation file was 165 MB, what about the official (final) version?

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Same here Jun 5, 2009

And I would'nt like ta have to reinstall all, as the installation process is very longicon_frown.gif

Hope there will be a solution very soon...

Alessandra Martelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
No problems here Jun 5, 2009

I didn't have RC1 version, but yesterday I downloaded the install file (Mozilla is my browser) and had no troubles. The only thing I had to do was double online activation for SDL Multiterm.

Hope you'll fix the problem soon!
Aless

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
SDL Webinar on Tuesday Jun 5, 2009

I have downloaded 2009 and I'll be logging on to the SDL webinar on Tuesday to hear what the experts have to say about installing and activating it:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/news/events/june2009/installing-and-activating-sdl-trados-studio-2009-09-06-09.asp

There might be a few useful hints and wrinkles.

Giles

Czech Republic
Member (2007)
German to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jun 5, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Karel Tatransky wrote:

I was using the RC1 version until yesterday. After the official version was released, I uninstalled the RC1 and installed the new one.

I hope you will be able to solve the activation problem.

RC1 installation file was 165 MB, what about the official (final) version?

Hi Selcuk,
the final version is 168 MB.

I also tried reinstalling Studio - no change, though.
I will wait for SDL to come up with a solution. I hope to avoid the reinstall-everything step.
Karel

Anhilgen  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
same here Jun 5, 2009

The same error is happening to me and I am not very keen on uninstalling and re-installing either. Let's hope - against experience -that SDL will come up with a solution.

And, somehow, it makes me feel better knowing I'm no the only one ...

Karel Tatransky wrote:

Hello,
I have a problem with activating my SDL Trados Studio 2009 copy. I was using the RC1 version until yesterday. After the official version was released, I uninstalled the RC1 and installed the new one. I could activate and start Studio successfully. After that, I have returned the RC1 license (my licenses for 2007 and current release of Studio remained). After this, every time I start Studio, the SDL Product Activation dialog is displayed. I choose "I have purchased a license..." and then "Activate online". I type in my license number and the activation runs successfully. After that, nothing happens. If I try to run Studio again, the same dialog appears. In the License Manager, I can see the License for Studio 2009 FL Plus - AutoSuggest Add-on in the View Activated Licenses window.
Any ideas how to solve this?
Thank you!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Support Team... Jun 5, 2009

Hello Karel et al,

I recommend you read the following topic for some more clarification on these licensing questions:

Title: SDL Trados Studio 2009 Release - Questions

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/136801-sdl_trados_studio_2009_release_questions.html

To sum this up, you will need to return your original SDL Trados 2007 license first and you will then receive your SDL Trados Studio 2009 license, your new SDL Trados 2007 Suite license and your AutoSuggest add-on activation code.

To confirm that the upgrade is available to you, please log in to your online SDL account and go to the "My Licenses" section. You should see a label next to the SDL Trados 2007 Freelance link which will state that "You have upgrades available for this product." This means that your SDL Trados Studio 2009 upgrade is available.

Please select the link to view the activation code and you will then see another link on the right-hand side: "1 purchased upgrade available to activate »". This will then give more information on what you have to do.

I'd like to explain that Activation code users will need to return their activation code from their computer. Please follow these instructions if you require help in doing this:

1. Please select Start -> All Programs -> SDL International -> SDL TRADOS 2007 -> License Manager

2. Click “View Activated Licenses”

4. Select the SDL Trados 2007 license you wish to return and click “Return License”

5. When the License has been returned select “OK” then select “Close”

Customers using a license file can return their license from their account. For more information on how to return your licenses, please view the following tutorial:

https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/mylicenses/upgradedemo/default.htm

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Czech Republic
Member (2007)
German to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jun 5, 2009

Gareth, thanks for your assistance, Studio works now!
Just one thing confuses me: after upgrading the licenses, the Trados 2007 license is due to expire in June 2010. Why is this? Does it mean I cannot use 2007 after this date?
Thanks again.
Karel

[Edited at 2009-06-05 16:09 GMT]

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
here Jun 5, 2009

Karel, read at the link provided:

"2. The reason for the time limited license is because we will be replacing this version of SDL Trados Studio 2009 within twelve months with one that will not require any of the legacy functions we use from SDL Trados 2007 Suite and to ensure that all upgrading users can continue to use their legacy product until they have had time to get used to all the features of the new one. At this point the upgrade will leave you only with SDL Trados Studio 2009. If we believe that an extension is required to these twelve months, we will make this extension available to all users."

Frankly, I don't like the idea. I bought the upgrade with no indication during the purchase process that this will disallow you to use the old version at some point in time. If I buy any software, I'd suppose I can run the old version and - if I wish - the upgrade, too, but can still get back to the old version any time I want.

EDIT - Hm, actually they have it treated in their EULA:
"To use a Product identified as an upgrade, Customer must first be licensed for the product identified by SDL as eligible for the upgrade. After upgrading, Customer may no longer use the product that formed the basis for Customer’s upgrade eligibility. This Agreement also applies to updates or supplements to the original Product provided by SDL, unless SDL provides other terms along with the update or supplement."

[Edited at 2009-06-05 17:50 GMT]

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
How is it? Jun 6, 2009

Tomas Mosler wrote:

After upgrading, Customer may no longer use the product that formed the basis for Customer’s upgrade eligibility. This Agreement also applies to updates or supplements to the original Product provided by SDL, unless SDL provides other terms along with the update or supplement."

[Edited at 2009-06-05 17:50 GMT]

Can somebody tell me how much cost Trados if someone decide to buy Studio 2009 now and all the yearly updates in the next 10 years?

Regards

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Annoying!!! Jun 6, 2009

Hi all,
this is most annoying! I've been reassured that my SDL Trados 2007 license will not be affected by the upgrade!

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
off-topic Jun 6, 2009

Uh, sorry, but why is "Stanislav Pokorny" shown as the last poster here on the main "Trados support forum" page, while here in the thread it is me? Confusing...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 Installation/Activation Problem

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search