Thread poster: RWS Community
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:33
English
Jun 5, 2009

Dear ProZ Users,

Yesterday we released the new version of our translation software, SDL Trados Studio 2009, and it’s plain to see that we have much confusion around licensing, activation and installation. We have been investigating this feedback this morning and at the moment I think most of the problems seem to relate to a lack of clear instructions in our Customer Center (the “My Account” area).

We have run an extensive Beta programme over the last five months
... See more
Dear ProZ Users,

Yesterday we released the new version of our translation software, SDL Trados Studio 2009, and it’s plain to see that we have much confusion around licensing, activation and installation. We have been investigating this feedback this morning and at the moment I think most of the problems seem to relate to a lack of clear instructions in our Customer Center (the “My Account” area).

We have run an extensive Beta programme over the last five months and in terms of functionality once you get started we are confident that we have created a product that will really help you all to get more from the tools in addition to resolving many long standing problems that we could not easily fix in the legacy products.

However, all of this is not going to help you if you can’t get started!

We are working on improving the clarity over how to license the new product, as we have also introduced a change to our upgrade policy at the same time and this has added to the confusion. I hope there will be more on these changes during the course of today. In the meantime, I will try to clarify a few things.

1. If you are upgrading you have to return your old license first. This will then be replaced by two licenses: one for SDL Trados Studio 2009 and one for a time limited SDL Trados 2007 SUITE.

2. The reason for the time limited license is because we will be replacing this version of SDL Trados Studio 2009 within twelve months with one that will not require any of the legacy functions we use from SDL Trados 2007 Suite and to ensure that all upgrading users can continue to use their legacy product until they have had time to get used to all the features of the new one. At this point the upgrade will leave you only with SDL Trados Studio 2009. If we believe that an extension is required to these twelve months, we will make this extension available to all users.

3. If you are purchasing a new license and not upgrading then of course any other license you own will remain intact. So this change only affects upgrading.

4. There is a demo on the “My Licenses” section of the “My Account” area that you may want to review before you start the licensing and installation process. This demo (although not clearly marked yet) will explain the process quite well. It is currently based on a Professional License (this will change today) but the principles are the same. It is the one under the “My Licenses” title marked as follows

* To activate your upgrades expand the relevant line item and select the license type. For more help view a quick demonstration.

5. There is a also an installation guide available that you will find after the link to your download for the SDL Trados Studio 2009 product in the “My Downloads” section.

We will post back later today but if you do have specific questions you should be able to get a quick answer through the live chat facility that can be found on the right hand side of this page - http://www.translationzone.com/en/contact/

Kind regards

Paul Filkin
Client Services Director
SDL Trados Technologies
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:33
English to Turkish
+ ...
Any demo version Jun 5, 2009

First of all, thanks for the clarification.

What about a demo version of SDLTrados Studio 2009? All CAT tools offer demo versions enabling the translators to test the tool before buying/upgrading it?

Selcuk

Sophie Govaere McConnell
Sophie Govaere McConnell
France
Member (2008)
English to French
Demo/screenshots Jun 5, 2009

I agree, I'd like to see a demo of the product because the description doesn't really give a clear idea of why the upgrade would be interesting. Could we at least see some screenshots?

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
2 diffrent activation codes for SDL Trados Studio 2009 and for Auto Suggest ? Jun 5, 2009

Thanks for the clarification, though it is still a little bit confusing.

So, I have returned my SDL Trados 2007 Suite licence and reactivated the same product with the new activation code in order to be able to continue working with it. Am I right?

I activated SDL Trados Studio 2009 too but here I'm a bit puzzled, since I have a code for SDL Trados Studio and a different licence for AutoSuggest Creator Add-on Plus. On my account, both codes are given as "activated". Wha
... See more
Thanks for the clarification, though it is still a little bit confusing.

So, I have returned my SDL Trados 2007 Suite licence and reactivated the same product with the new activation code in order to be able to continue working with it. Am I right?

I activated SDL Trados Studio 2009 too but here I'm a bit puzzled, since I have a code for SDL Trados Studio and a different licence for AutoSuggest Creator Add-on Plus. On my account, both codes are given as "activated". What shall I do with the latest ?

Thanks in advance !
Sylvain
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Parallel? Jun 5, 2009

I thought it would be possible to run the 2007 and 2009 versions in parallel? I have clients who require the use of TeamWorks and TeamWorks is pretty 'sensitive' to the version of the creation tool use to create the files. The slightest version discrepancy can cause errors.

Or is it that I have to return my 2009 license every time I want to use version 2007, and vice versa?

Edit: or is it that I have to use that new 2007 license, due to expire next year? It won't be pos
... See more
I thought it would be possible to run the 2007 and 2009 versions in parallel? I have clients who require the use of TeamWorks and TeamWorks is pretty 'sensitive' to the version of the creation tool use to create the files. The slightest version discrepancy can cause errors.

Or is it that I have to return my 2009 license every time I want to use version 2007, and vice versa?

Edit: or is it that I have to use that new 2007 license, due to expire next year? It won't be possible to use the 2007 version after this date, then?

This morning everything was all fine and dandy, I still had a 2007 license available, but now that I have to return it, I'm a bit puzzled...

[Edited at 2009-06-05 17:00 GMT]
Collapse

psicutrinius
psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What if I want to keep Studio 2007? Jun 5, 2009

SDL Support wrote:

1. If you are upgrading you have to return your old license first. This will then be replaced by two licenses: one for SDL Trados Studio 2009 and one for a time limited SDL Trados 2007 SUITE.

2. The reason for the time limited license is because we will be replacing this version of SDL Trados Studio 2009 within twelve months with one that will not require any of the legacy functions we use from SDL Trados 2007 Suite and to ensure that all upgrading users can continue to use their legacy product until they have had time to get used to all the features of the new one. At this point the upgrade will leave you only with SDL Trados Studio 2009. If we believe that an extension is required to these twelve months, we will make this extension available to all users.

Kind regards

Paul Filkin
Client Services Director
SDL Trados Technologies

If my read of this is right, this means that the Suite 2007 will no longer be useable in twelve months, because its license will be terminated for anybody upgrading?

Why cannot I keep my suite?

And, by the way, is multiterm extract (as-is) FULLY compatible with multiterm 2009?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
What if I do not buy or activate the 2009 version? Jun 5, 2009

If I do not buy the 2009 verison, or do buy but do not activate, will my 2007 version remain active forever?

Antonin

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:33
Spanish
+ ...
Previous editions after the upgrade Jun 5, 2009

I could be wrong but I think it was mentioned that for those who'd upgraded, SDL Trados would still be available without any time limit. How can you assure a real Studio compatibility with other previous editions? I mean, what will be added.

One of the major problems I find in Studio is that there's no separate analysis tool (at least I haven't found it). In order for Studio to analyse a file, it first has to be entered as a project. That is not a quick process. Workbench, on the ot
... See more
I could be wrong but I think it was mentioned that for those who'd upgraded, SDL Trados would still be available without any time limit. How can you assure a real Studio compatibility with other previous editions? I mean, what will be added.

One of the major problems I find in Studio is that there's no separate analysis tool (at least I haven't found it). In order for Studio to analyse a file, it first has to be entered as a project. That is not a quick process. Workbench, on the other hand, can analyse several files in a breeze.

Also, like Marie-Claude, I occasionally use Trados GXT, which I think requires Workbench in order to work.

How about bilingual files like the ones in Word or SDLX files? Sometimes a client wants a bilingual file with all the tags or the itd file to proofread or edit the translation. Can (will) Studio be able to produce these files?

The point is, how can you assure a real Studio compatibility with other previous editions? The idea of upgrading, so in twelve months some of the existing features won't be available anymore sounds absurd. Why would SDL do that?
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
agree Jun 5, 2009

One of the major problems I find in Studio is that there's no separate analysis tool (at least I haven't found it). In order for Studio to analyse a file, it first has to be entered as a project. That is not a quick process. Workbench, on the other hand, can analyse several files in a breeze.

Yes, this is something that bothers me too. Ideally it should be possible to right-click on any compatible file and have it analysed. Having to create a project to do this is far too time-consuming.

Valerie35 (X)
Valerie35 (X)
German to English
Contact Jun 5, 2009

Is there an e-mail address for support? All I can find is the chat function - and no one is staffing it apparently.

I returned my licenses, and now I can't license 2007 Suite or 2009 Studio. I also noticed that SDL Trados put my upgrade under the older 2007 product - not 2007 Suite (which I upgraded from).

Other companies have hotlines and a lot more help, and a lot of other companies try to reduce confusion and trouble for the user, not increase it.

[Edited at 2
... See more
Is there an e-mail address for support? All I can find is the chat function - and no one is staffing it apparently.

I returned my licenses, and now I can't license 2007 Suite or 2009 Studio. I also noticed that SDL Trados put my upgrade under the older 2007 product - not 2007 Suite (which I upgraded from).

Other companies have hotlines and a lot more help, and a lot of other companies try to reduce confusion and trouble for the user, not increase it.

[Edited at 2009-06-05 20:10 GMT]
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Comments about Multiterm in the release notes Jun 5, 2009

Hi!

I read in the release notes that Multiterm 2007 will be completely incompatible with Studio 2009. However, I assume there must be some way of taking over the contents into fresh Studio 2009 termbases. What is the procedure for this, then? I cannot install Studio 2009 until I know how to install my existing termbases so that they work with it, because I cannot translate without them.

Many thanks for clarification.

Oh, the other matter is all the threats
... See more
Hi!

I read in the release notes that Multiterm 2007 will be completely incompatible with Studio 2009. However, I assume there must be some way of taking over the contents into fresh Studio 2009 termbases. What is the procedure for this, then? I cannot install Studio 2009 until I know how to install my existing termbases so that they work with it, because I cannot translate without them.

Many thanks for clarification.

Oh, the other matter is all the threats about Studio 2009 being thoroughly incompatible with 64-bit Vista, which is what I have. What do I do about that, then? Anything?

Astrid
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Step change time Jun 5, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

The idea of upgrading, so in twelve months some of the existing features won't be available anymore sounds absurd. Why would SDL do that?

Looking at this from SDL's point of view, or at least from what as an outsider I suppose might be that particular angle, I imagine that SDL's programmers are hoping that within the next twelve months they will have enabled Studio 2009 to export uncleaned Word files, as well as some of the other options required by freelancers who work for agencies that still work with 2007 or earlier versions of Trados.

SDL has already stated that it will consider extending the transition period if its programmers aren't up to the task (or words to that effect).

I'm quite excited about some of the features in the new Trados release but since I don't have any agency clients, there is no compelling reason for me to go down the Trados path if I don't have to. Actually, I'm also quite tempted by the Linux/Open Office/OmegaT option, which would be good enough for nearly all of my current customers. And I've also got my old DVX licence.

Don't you just love competition?

Giles

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Whatever is wrong with the Studio 2009 Installation Guide? Jun 5, 2009

I have made several attempts to download the Studio 2009 Installation Guide from my account, and doing so just freezes up my computer every time. I download it, see the front page of it opened up in Adobe Reader, and then I cannot scroll down, or click any buttons, make anything work within it, or even move the cursor within it. The first time that I downloaded it I managed to save it to my computer, but could not subsequently open it, as it is apparently "damaged".

An undamaged cop
... See more
I have made several attempts to download the Studio 2009 Installation Guide from my account, and doing so just freezes up my computer every time. I download it, see the front page of it opened up in Adobe Reader, and then I cannot scroll down, or click any buttons, make anything work within it, or even move the cursor within it. The first time that I downloaded it I managed to save it to my computer, but could not subsequently open it, as it is apparently "damaged".

An undamaged copy of the installation guide, that can actually be read, might be extremely useful as a first step!

Evidently it is a good idea to stick to Studio 2007 for a bit longer yet.
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:33
English to French
+ ...
Just one question Jun 5, 2009

I find Paul Filkin's message a bit confusing, especially because with the number of new versions over a short timespan, it is hard to keep up with the different versions. So, in order to avoid having to explain it all further, let me ask one simple question.

If I upgrade from SDL Trados Freelance 2007 (not SUITE) to SDL Trados Studio 2009, will I be able to keep my licence for SDL Trados Freelance 2007 without any time limits?

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Upgrading since Trados 3 Jun 6, 2009

(or was it 3.5?)
And now you tell me that I won't have any rights in a product I've bought?
I've been unsuccessfully trying to install Trados Studion in y second PC, as when I did so in the PC I use for translating, it really created a complete mess... The product I have (Trados 8) works absolutely fine, and you are saying me that I'm obliged to return the license to you? When I paid for it I was sure that I was buying it, not leaning it.
I don't like this policy, sorry.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2009 Release - Questions

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »