Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:55
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 5, 2009

Hello,

I have "SDLX Lite" and a potential client wants to know if it supports Trados files. Does it?

(By "support" I mean: Would I be able to use SDLX Lite to work as a translator on a Trados job in some way?)

Thanks,

Thomas

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Only itd files Jun 5, 2009

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Trados files', but the Lite version of SDLX only works with SDLX files (*.itd). All other formats must be converted first.

Peru
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 5, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Trados files', but the Lite version of SDLX only works with SDLX files (*.itd). All other formats must be converted first.

Thank you, Claudia!

Peru
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
itd files Jun 5, 2009

By the way, are these SDLX (.itd) files files which Trados can generate for Trados projects?

Thomas

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Probably not Jun 5, 2009

Thomas Johansson wrote:

By the way, are these SDLX (.itd) files files which Trados can generate for Trados projects?

Thomas

In TagEditor, under Save as>Bilingual file, there's are three formats, ttx, itd and biff. But bilingual files are saved only as ttx. I also tried renaming the *.ttx file as *.itd but , logically, it didn't work. I think you can only create itd files with SDLX and up (non-free editions). You can still translate SDLX (.itd) files with Trados. I'm not sure if that answers your question.

Claudia

Peru
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about TRADOStag Document (.ttx) files then? Jun 5, 2009

In TagEditor, under Save as>Bilingual file, there's are three formats, ttx, itd and biff. But bilingual files are saved only as ttx. I also tried renaming the *.ttx file as *.itd but , logically, it didn't work. I think you can only create itd files with SDLX and up (non-free editions). You can still translate SDLX (.itd) files with Trados. I'm not sure if that answers your question.

Opening my SDLX Lite and selecting File > Open Translation, it appears that there are 3 file types that can be opened by it:
- SDL Edit Files (.itd)
- SDL Work Flow (.wtd)
- TRADOStag Documents (.ttx)

The last one, the .ttx, is a Trados file, no? So wouldn't I then be able to work with such files with the SDLX Lite?

(I don't know anything about Trados.)

Thomas

[Edited at 2009-06-05 18:28 GMT]

Giuseppe Medico  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:55
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
SDLX Lite Jun 5, 2009

Hi Thomas,

With the full freelance version of SDLX, you can open TTX files with SDL Edit.

I don't think you can do the same with SDLX Lite, as it is a free program which should only work with ITDs prepared with SDLX Elite. Anyway, you can always try to open it if they send you a TTX file.

Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:55
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
SDLX Lite works with .ttx Jun 6, 2009

I remember I have worked on .ttx files in SDLX Lite (build 6010). You need to pre-translate files in Trados (check "segment unknown sentences) to produce "bilingual" .ttx files first. When you try to open a .ttx file in SDLX Lite, a window will pop up, and you click on the drag down menu at "file type." There you have three options: .itd, .ttx, all files. Select ".ttx" or "all files," you will be able to open your ttx file! Remember, it must be a pre-translated .ttx file with both target and source segments.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does SDLX Lite support Trados files?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search