Thread poster: Heike Behl, Ph.D.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:20
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 6, 2009

I'm trying to analyze a partially translated Word doc; WB gives me the following error message:

File cannot be processed as TTX as file is saved as bilingual Word doc.

That's something new... Does Trados 2007 Suite already refuse to work with bilingual Word documents? Or is the installed, but not yet officially activated Studio on my laptop interfering in some mysterious ways? icon_frown.gif

Technical setup:
Vista Home 64 bit
Office 2007, file saved in compatibility mode (97-2003)

BTW, the version I use according to WB is - as it should be - Trados 2007, build 863.

[Edited at 2009-06-06 03:04 GMT]

---------------------------------

I can analyze the original source files. However, the numbers I get are extremely odd!

Here are two analysis results. The first was done in Trados 7.5 before starting the translation; the second one on my other laptop in Trados 8 Suite after having worked on one of the files for a while.

Analyse Total (2 files):

Match Types Segments Words Percent Placeables
Context TM 0 0 0 0
Repetitions 216 1,550 12 1
100% 87 94 1 0
95% - 99% 4 15 0 0
85% - 94% 12 16 0 0
75% - 84% 9 17 0 0
50% - 74% 226 712 5 0
No Match 994 10,567 82 2
Total 1,548 12,971 100 3

Chars/Word 5.53
Chars Total 71,788

Analyse Total (2 files):

Match Types Segments Words Percent Placeables
Context TM 0 0 0 0
Repetitions 201 1,599 7 2,266
100% 50 53 0 0
95% - 99% 2 4 0 9
85% - 94% 30 104 0 177
75% - 84% 26 100 0 197
50% - 74% 232 775 3 1,175
No Match 1,060 21,881 90 33,485
Total 1,601 24,516 100 37,309

Chars/Word 2.94
Chars Total 72,270

The analysis in Suite has almost twice the amount of words, but the length of words has shrunk correspondingly. Somehow, Suite is splitting words. However, the number of repetitions remained almost unchanged and the number of 100% matches actually went down quite a bit, although I've been working on that file for a while (my guess would be around 700 words). And what's it with those 37,309 placeables???

The source texts in questions are converted PDF files, which might contribute to these differences. Or maybe it has to do with the different Word versions (2000 on old laptop, 2007 on new one). Interesting... I wonder if my client would be willing to negotiate my total rate based on the new word count!? icon_biggrin.gif

[Edited at 2009-06-06 04:00 GMT]

David Terhart  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:20
English to German
+ ...
First Clean into TM or update the TM, then analyze again Jun 6, 2009

Hi Heike,

I suggest the following:

1. Make sure all pre-translated parts are in the TM, either by using CleanUp or by opening/closing all segments that are pre-translated.

2. Remove all TRADOS tags in the Word document, for example:
a) Make a backup copy of the Word file
b) Show/hide whitespaces in Word so you can see the tags
c) Open each segment and click "Restore Source" in Trados (ALT-Del). Be aware that you might lose target text if it's not in the TM, though!

3. When all segments are removed, save the file again as *.doc. Then you should be able to analyse the file with all pre-translated parts being in the memory.

Hope that helps
David

Valentina Viganò  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Guess: language settings on Word document? Jun 6, 2009

Not v. familiar with Trados yet, but if somehow it pulls information from the Word document, could it be that you need to set the language on your Word document to 1 language only?
Could be a silly guess, but sometimes programmes are silly.

United States
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you're kidding, right? ;-) Jun 6, 2009

David Terhart wrote:

Hi Heike,

I suggest the following:

1. Make sure all pre-translated parts are in the TM, either by using CleanUp or by opening/closing all segments that are pre-translated.

2. Remove all TRADOS tags in the Word document, for example:
a) Make a backup copy of the Word file
b) Show/hide whitespaces in Word so you can see the tags
c) Open each segment and click "Restore Source" in Trados (ALT-Del). Be aware that you might lose target text if it's not in the TM, though!

3. When all segments are removed, save the file again as *.doc. Then you should be able to analyse the file with all pre-translated parts being in the memory.

Hope that helps
David

Open and restore each segment manually?icon_eek.gif

I said that I can analyze the original source file. However, the analysis results are unusable. The issue is two-fold:
1. I can't analyze bilingual Word files. This was no problem in the past (at least until version 7.5; I only recently installed version 8 and usually work in TagEditor, so I can't swear that it work with 8). Since I still can translate within Word (and usually, I prefer TagEditor, but this converted PDF file contains still too many tags even after clean-up), I would expect the analysis function to work as well.

2. The numbers that Trados gives me after analyzing the original, monolingual source file are absolutely ridiculous. The 100% matches actually decrease the more I translate. Although this could be due to the way Word 2007 interacts with the tags of a converted PDF file, but I'd expect the word count to reflect the translation progress at least to some extent.

This is not so much a "cry for help" as a "what the heck is happening" post. icon_wink.gif

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Settings... Jun 6, 2009

In Trados Workbench go to Options / Translation memory options / Tools and make sure that "TradosTag XML Worflow" is OFF for the type of files you work on (to be safe, better turn off both settings: rtf saved as doc may go undetected...).

United States
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
crash Jun 6, 2009

Jabberwock wrote:

In Trados Workbench go to Options / Translation memory options / Tools and make sure that "TradosTag XML Worflow" is OFF for the type of files you work on (to be safe, better turn off both settings: rtf saved as doc may go undetected...).

Thanks for the tip, but then the analyzer crashes during the conversion from doc into rtf...
... with the bilingual file, I should add.

The monolingual file gets analyzed just as before with the ridiculous numbers.

[Edited at 2009-06-06 21:10 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Convert... Jun 6, 2009

Heike Behl, Ph.D. wrote:

Thanks for the tip, but then the analyzer crashes during the conversion from doc into rtf...
... with the bilingual file, I should add.

Maybe try to convert the doc to rtf in Word and analyse that?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't analyze bilingual Word doc

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search