How to incorporate a glossary in MS Excel into Trados?
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:49
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jun 6, 2009

I am a new user of Trados (version 7.0). One of the translation agencies for which I work has
given me the memory and a glossary which I should use for its project. There is no problem with the memory but could you tell me how to incorporate the glossary, which is in Excel, into my Trados memory as the agency wants that I should do so.

Thank you in anticipation.

Regards,

Chopra

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use MultiTerm Convert Jun 6, 2009

It's a separate tool in the Trados/SDL Suite.

It allows you to import glossaries into MultiTerm from a variety of formats, including Excel spreadsheets.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:19
English to French
Workaround Jun 6, 2009

In such circumstances (Excel glossary), I usually search it separately from Trados, converting it to csv and using SR32 from Funduc.

As Steven says, you can also use Multiterm to have any entry in the glossary pop up when working in Trados.

If you are not a Multiterm expert or don't have it, the other possible way is to paste the glossary (assuming a plain 2-column layout, otherwise make it so in Excel) into Word and make up a Trados bilingual document by converting the table into text and searching/replacing tabs and paragraph breaks with the appropriate tags in order to get {0>source< }0{ >target< 0} (spaces added for displaying purposes). Note that the fonts and styles of tags, source text and target text are irrelevant in this process.
Then, after messing about to make sure that all tags are properly placed, clean the resulting file into Trados: you now have a translation memory (TM) including all the glossary entries, which you can retrieve using concordance.

A goods idea is to flag those TUs as glossary entries with a Text field aptly named Glossary, so that you know they're from the glossary.

If the agency want you to have the glossary in the TM, why don't they provide you with an appropriate TM, huh?

Have a good weekend,
Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to incorporate a glossary in MS Excel into Trados?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search