Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:22
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2009

Hi all,

I have successfully installed both SDL Trados Studio 2009 and SDL MultiTerm 2009.

Both programs appear to be working correctly, however, I cannot use the "term recognition" functionality in either Studio 2009 or Trados workbench 2007.

In WB 2007 I am getting this message:

"(2147418113): (2147418113): Search failed. Possible connection issue with remote termbase."

In Studio 2009 I am getting "No results available", even though I can successfully open the termbases in MultiTerm 2009.

I should also just point out that the termbases I am trying to use are on my local machine, not on a remote server, but the software appears to be behaving as though I want to connect to remote termbases.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul

[Edited at 2009-06-08 10:41 GMT]

Jim Shanks
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:22
Dutch to English
Same problem! Jun 8, 2009

Sorry its not a reply which will help, but it may confirm the problem! This is very urgent as I now have to start a job using workbench in suite 2007 and will have to uninstall Multiterm 2009 and reinstall 2007 to complete the job. The termbase is vital in the job I want to work on. I know that 2007 was still working as I have been through this uninstall and reinstall once before this weekend!
This has been overtaken by events as I have now uninstalled 2009. A thought has occurred to me though, I am having licensing problems and have not managed to activate SDL Trados Studio 2009 (or use the upgrade licence) and wonder if this may be the problem here?

[Edited at 2009-06-08 18:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-08 18:19 GMT]

France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't have any problems with the licence... Jun 9, 2009

Hi Jamwis,

I didn't have any problems with the licence as far as I'm aware, so as far as I can tell something else must be wrong. But what? The software all seems to be working fine apart from this one problem.

I'm waiting for a reply from SDL Trados Support and I'll post here to share the solution as soon as I manage to get it. They seem pretty busy at the moment though!!

Good luck!

Jim Shanks
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
Problem solved here Jun 11, 2009

I got a licence sorted out (dont think that was the real problem) and then installed Studio 2009 and Multiterm 2009 in that order - this was recommended by the technician dealing with my licencing problem. Did you install Multiterm first? If so this might be the reason. The webinar (did not catch most as I had no sound) also recommended deleting a number of directories if you already have them on your computer before installing again. I dont have the list in a handy format but have a screenshot of the slide. For what it is worth!

diegee72
Here the same problem Jun 11, 2009

Hello Paul,

I have exactly the same problem with my Termbases in Trados and get the same message...
Can you let me know when Trados has figured out a solution.

Thanks,

Dieter

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
My main big legal termbase is not recognised Jun 11, 2009

It is my main termbase for working with, and none of the terms in it will come up.

However, it is not the case that there is no term recognition. Terms from my much smaller termbases are being recognised.

France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I did install MultiTerm first Jun 12, 2009

Interesting.

For the moment I've had to uninstall so that I can carry on working.

When I re-install I'll do so in the opposite order.

I seemed to think I'd read somewhere that installing Multiterm first was recommended?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Jun 12, 2009

Hello Paul et al,

If you have recently used the SDL Trados Studio 2009 Beta software or the Early Access program then I would highly recommend you uninstall both SDL Trados Studio 2009 and SDL Multiterm 2009 and then follow the instructions in the following article:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2724&p=1

This explains in further detail about preparing your computer for the SDL Trados Studio 2009 installation.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try that Jun 12, 2009

I'll try that, thanks Gareth.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, you did Jun 12, 2009

Paul Malone wrote:

I seemed to think I'd read somewhere that installing Multiterm first was recommended?

That's what they told us last time we upgraded, sometime last year.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Multiiterm/Trados installation order... Jun 12, 2009

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Paul Malone wrote:

That's what they told us last time we upgraded, sometime last year.

Generally, it was true up to Multiterm 2007 without SP1.

The problem is the Trados 2007 SP2/Multiterm 2007 SP1 combo is somehow unpredictable, it's partially due to the fact the Java version provided with Multiterm 2007 SP1 is newer than the version shipped with Trados 2007 SP2 (1.5.0.12 vs 1.5.0.10), so theorically, it's better to install Trados first but for some obscure reasons sometimes, in this case, you can't make Trados-MT work together.
It's the reason why, for critical machines, I prefer a heavily tested crazy upgrade procedure I posted in the thread
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/129365-cannot_install_synergy:_net_framework_problem.html
Hereby, another time, I put a virtual red hot iron in the corporate arses of Multiterm programmersicon_smile.gif

As Trados 2009 contains some basic Multiterm 2009 components, you should install Trados 2009 Studio first.
BTW, I think Multiterm 2009 is a huge progress, the guys did some fundamental changes which make it finally compatible with basic Windows programming guidelines (I withdraw the red hot iron...), so no more really stupid issues, I hope...

Cheers
GG

Mindaugas Kiaupas  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:22
Member (2006)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
is there any solution to get Multiterm working? Jun 16, 2009

Hello Paul,

I have encountered exactly the same problem with the Multiterm not working in the Studio 2009 though I have installed it as per the instructions. It is a shame that Studio 2009 does not work as it is advertised.

Just wondering if you got any response from Trados support or if you somehow solved that problem?

Kind regards,
Mindaugas

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Always cumbersome Jun 16, 2009

SDL Support wrote:
If you have recently used the SDL Trados Studio 2009 Beta software or the Early Access program then I would highly recommend you uninstall both SDL Trados Studio 2009 and SDL Multiterm 2009 and then follow the instructions in the following article:

Gareth, I do appreciate the information. Now, I keep wondering why I can install and uninstall big, complex software, even "invasive" software like antivirus without a glitch and even without resetting my computer, but always have problems when I install a new version of Trados. I must always fear (and my fears get confirmed time and time again) that something will go wrong that will make me lose working time.

In the Trados 8 installation you had to install Multiterm first, and most professional translators use Multiterm. So why didn't you do something as simple as informing the user about the order of installation in the setup program?

Also, about the Talisma document you mention, why doesn't the setup procedure of the commercial version include that check and those deletions??? Why do we have to find out, know, read, and do it all ourselves??? I find this most upsetting. We are supposed to be translating, not fixing the mess! I am sorry to be so blunt, but it's the plain truth.

Can't you Trados people make a better setup system that checks and does the installation correctly without us having to spend time looking for information in fora etc.? I just don't get it! You had three years to make a better setup!

I fear 2009 will pose plenty of problems when I install it, so I am really reluctant and waiting until I have nothing to do for a couple of days. Honestly, you must improve the setup procedure!!!!!

[Edited at 2009-06-16 04:16 GMT]

France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Issue still not resolved Jun 16, 2009

Hi Mindaugas, Gareth and everyone,

I still have not managed to resolve this issue.

I followed the procedure suggested by Gareth, but unfortunately I still have the same symptoms. I think it is possible that something needs to be changed or deleted in the Windows registry following the initial installation, but I'll wait to get more information on that from Trados Support.

For the moment I've uninstalled the SDL Trados Studio 2009 completely as I need to work with term recognition with 2007.

Because of time pressure and workload I will come back to this issue when I have time and I'll post the information here when I find the solution.

Kind regards,
Paul

Jim Shanks
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
More details on how sorted. Jun 18, 2009

Hi Paul,

I got the licencing sorted and installed it on my laptop. Today I have installed it on my PC and the same problem occurred. After uninstalling and deleting all folders left over that I could positively identify as being from Suite 2009 only (both Suite and Multiterm) I reinstalled and it is now working on my PC. All I can say is make sure you get rid of any folders left over from previous installations and keep your fingers crossed. Good luck.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 - Term recognition not working

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search