Thread poster: Simon Hollingsworth

Simon Hollingsworth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:08
Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2009

I have been asked to correct a very large text in Word that has been translated using Trados. The document covers 1000 words and this is just the first part. I could ignore Trados and use Find and Replace in Word to blanket-correct mistranslations and insert the client's preferred terms, but this would not help in updating the TM.
For example, I want to replace the term 'hermetically-sealed door' with 'pressurized door' and there may be 300+ instances where this is required throughout the document. Is there a quick way to do this in Trados?
Many thanks for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:08
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Search and replace Jun 8, 2009

You have to remove protection in Tageditor. After that you use the Cntrl+H -function like in Word. But it is not so intelligent like in Word, so you have to replace words with a capital letter separately. If the target is English, its a piece of cake, could even do "Replace all".
After the operation you run through the text and confirm the changes, which will update the TM.
But 1000 words is not much, did you mean 10 000?
Regards
Heinrich

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
pages, not words! Jun 8, 2009

Thank you, Heinrich. I meant 1000 pages (in fact the document will run to some 6000 pages eventually). 1000 words and I would not have worried!

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
Global search and replace Jun 8, 2009

then update memory.
Whether you are using word or tageditor, that's how I would do it.
Gillian

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: global search and replace Jun 8, 2009

Thank you, Gillian.
When you mention a global search and replace, how would you do this, to then be able to update the TM. Sorry if this is a daft question, but I am just trying to get my head around it.

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:08
English to Hungarian
Try this Jun 8, 2009

Use Find and Replace All in Word, when you are ready just save the new version. (You don't have to confirm each change). In Translator's Workbench choose Tools/Clean up - here Add the name of the new file and select "Update TM" (only), then start cleaning.

In Translator's Workbench you can check the changes of TM at File/Maintenance where TM appears. In Tageditor, first you have to uncheck "Protect document" in Tools/Options/Protection. Hope this works.

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Try this Jun 8, 2009

Thank you, Istvan, I will give this a try.

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
That's exactly what I meant: Jun 8, 2009

István Hirsch wrote:

Use Find and Replace All in Word, when you are ready just save the new version. (You don't have to confirm each change). In Translator's Workbench choose Tools/Clean up - here Add the name of the new file and select "Update TM" (only), then start cleaning.

In Translator's Workbench you can check the changes of TM at File/Maintenance where TM appears. In Tageditor, first you have to uncheck "Protect document" in Tools/Options/Protection. Hope this works.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Correcting repeating errors in large Word doc using Trados

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search