What is "SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-on Plus", and where do I find it?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:45
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2009

I am asking because I have discovered in my SDL account that I have an activation code for it, although I do not have an activation code for Studio 2009 as a whole (due to a technical problem of having successfully returned a licence, according to the software, but the return not having registered with SDL).

Since I do not have an activation code for the main part of the software yet, but found an activation code for a program called "SDL Autosuggest Creator Add-on Plus", I thought
... See more
I am asking because I have discovered in my SDL account that I have an activation code for it, although I do not have an activation code for Studio 2009 as a whole (due to a technical problem of having successfully returned a licence, according to the software, but the return not having registered with SDL).

Since I do not have an activation code for the main part of the software yet, but found an activation code for a program called "SDL Autosuggest Creator Add-on Plus", I thought I may as well activate that and try it out. However, I do not know where to enter the activation code, as there only seem to be two components to the 2009 software, i.e. SDL Trados Studio 2009 and SDL Multiterm 2009. It seems really odd to have an activation code only for a program that I do not have, or cannot find. Can anyone enlighten me, please?

Astrid
Collapse

Yeti_fr
Yeti_fr
Local time: 16:45
English to French
A feature included in Studio Jun 8, 2009

AutoSuggest Creator allows you to create your own AutoSuggest dictionnaries. AutoSuggest dictionnaries are used to autocomplete a word you have started to type.

So there is nothing to download, it's a feature included in Studio 2009 that needs a supplementary licence.
You enter the activation code in SDL Licence Manager, just like you will enter the activation code for studio 2009 when you will (hopefully) get it.

delfish
delfish
Polish to French
urgent further question Mar 2, 2010

Hi,

I'm buying SDL Trados Suite 2009 today (thanks to the group buy) but they offer to sell "SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-on" if I give them 100 euros more....

Do I need this "SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-on" in addition to SDL Trados Suite 2009??
Is it not included? Is it worth it? I mean I'm in the group buy to make an econmy and 500 euros is already expensive.... but I want something complete and they say that this "add on" is worth 200 euros without the promotio
... See more
Hi,

I'm buying SDL Trados Suite 2009 today (thanks to the group buy) but they offer to sell "SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-on" if I give them 100 euros more....

Do I need this "SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-on" in addition to SDL Trados Suite 2009??
Is it not included? Is it worth it? I mean I'm in the group buy to make an econmy and 500 euros is already expensive.... but I want something complete and they say that this "add on" is worth 200 euros without the promotional offer....

Could someone knowlegdable and kind respond fast... I have until this evening to use this offer....
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I'd go for it Mar 2, 2010

Hello,
the AutoSuggest (AS) Creator allows you to create AS dictionaries from larger TMs (at least 25,000 TUs). It will extract single words as well as multiple-word phrases and offer them as sub-segment or fragment matches as you translate.
AutoSuggest is a function in Studio which has multiple providers/sources: the termbases, AutoText entries and AutoSuggest dictionaries generated with the AS Creator. Without the AS Creator, you will only be able to use AS dictionaries generated f
... See more
Hello,
the AutoSuggest (AS) Creator allows you to create AS dictionaries from larger TMs (at least 25,000 TUs). It will extract single words as well as multiple-word phrases and offer them as sub-segment or fragment matches as you translate.
AutoSuggest is a function in Studio which has multiple providers/sources: the termbases, AutoText entries and AutoSuggest dictionaries generated with the AS Creator. Without the AS Creator, you will only be able to use AS dictionaries generated for you by other users.
In my experience, AS dictionaries can be a huge time-saver, provided you have translation memories that are large enough to generate dictionaries.
From my point of view, I would definitely go for it. But this is my personal opinion, the final decision is up to you.

[Upraveno: 2010-03-02 14:46 GMT]
Collapse

Roy OConnor (X)
Roy OConnor (X)
German to English
A good feature Mar 2, 2010

When Studio 2009 came out, one of the beta testers remarked that it speeded up his translating by 30 percent. I was initially very sceptical of this, but when I started using the program myself, I too found considerable time savings.

You need to "feed" the Creator with plenty of Translation Memory volume to start it off. The increase in speed which you then obtain depends on this volume and your own typing abilities. If you already type with 10 fingers the gain in speed will not be
... See more
When Studio 2009 came out, one of the beta testers remarked that it speeded up his translating by 30 percent. I was initially very sceptical of this, but when I started using the program myself, I too found considerable time savings.

You need to "feed" the Creator with plenty of Translation Memory volume to start it off. The increase in speed which you then obtain depends on this volume and your own typing abilities. If you already type with 10 fingers the gain in speed will not be as much as someone who only uses the two-finger "hunt and peck" method. I type with ten fingers and find that I do not get tired so quickly.

All in all, I would't be without it!

Rgds,
Roy
Collapse

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 06:45
English to Portuguese
AutoSuggest gives even more... Mar 3, 2010

When Studio 2009 came out, one of the beta testers remarked that it speeded up his translating by 30 percent.

I remember I said that (among others), and I was conservative!!! Sometimes the productivity gains reach 60%!!!!

AutoSuggest was THE differential feature for my work: technical, lots of updates to existing stuff and/or similar subjects, memories above 25,000 TUs. Even if you have smaller memories than that, you can import all subject-related smaller ones until you get a 25k memory to create an ASD.

It really speeds you up and also helps showing some alternative translations that may be hidden in the memory hit list and you don't remember, because it puts the most probable options directly in front of you...

ASD is truly helpful and "addictive": you see that when you have to work on legacy Trados Tag Editor and surprise yourself expecting the suggestions to appear at the cursor

Cheers

Edric

[Edited at 2010-03-03 13:14 GMT]

Umang Dholabhai
Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:15
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Cannot enable Autosuggest Oct 6, 2010

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

I do not know where to enter the activation code, as there only seem to be two components to the 2009 software, i.e. SDL Trados Studio 2009 and SDL Multiterm 2009.
Astrid

I tried the licence manager, but it only manages the licence codes for Studio 2009. I have the Trados Freelance plus edition. I went to the tools menu and enabled Autosuggest. It just doesnt work. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
There is a separate activation code for AutoSuggest Oct 6, 2010

If you have purchased the AutoSuggest add-on, you will find an additional activation code for this add-on in your customer account.

To activate the feature, launch the Licence Manager, click on Activate online and enter the code for Autosuggest (which is different from the one for Studio). On successful activation, AutoSuggest will be enabled.

Walter

Umang Dholabhai
India
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Status Quo Oct 6, 2010

Thank you Walter - I did as instructed. The code was well accepted. The TM has already been converted into a bpm file which is supposedly an Autosuggest dictionary file, and yet I am stuck with no autosuggestions. I wonder whats going wrong.

Just to add that I re-checked the tools menu>Autosuggest and everything seems to be in order and yet..does it also mean that there is an additional code other than the one that came along with Freelancer plus licence?

[Edited at 2010-10-
... See more
Thank you Walter - I did as instructed. The code was well accepted. The TM has already been converted into a bpm file which is supposedly an Autosuggest dictionary file, and yet I am stuck with no autosuggestions. I wonder whats going wrong.

Just to add that I re-checked the tools menu>Autosuggest and everything seems to be in order and yet..does it also mean that there is an additional code other than the one that came along with Freelancer plus licence?

[Edited at 2010-10-06 19:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-10-06 19:33 GMT]
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Did you assign the ASD to your project? Oct 6, 2010

No, there is no additional code required.

Check your project settings: did you assign the AutoSuggest dictionary to your project? Simply checking the function is not enough, you need to tell Studio which AutoSuggest dictionary it should use (as you may have many different ones). It is thze same procedure as for TMs.

Walter

Umang Dholabhai
India
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Yes I did try to no avail Oct 6, 2010

Firstly let me thank you Walter, for the interest you have been taking to sort my difficulty.

I tried to assign it but it asks for autoTxt extension files whareas Trados has converted the TM's into bpm extension files in the ASD folder. Now I have to try and find a way to convert bpm's into autoTxt's?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
How to add your autosuggest dict to a project Oct 6, 2010

.bpm is the correct format. You do not need to convert this dict file into anything else.

To add an autosuggest dict go to
Tools>options>language pairs>(your lang pair)>autosuggest dictionary. Then in the window on the right, click on Add and there you need to browse to where your dictionary is located. The only possibility here is a .bpm file, which is what you have.

If you have already created a project, you need to add it to that particular project by going to
... See more
.bpm is the correct format. You do not need to convert this dict file into anything else.

To add an autosuggest dict go to
Tools>options>language pairs>(your lang pair)>autosuggest dictionary. Then in the window on the right, click on Add and there you need to browse to where your dictionary is located. The only possibility here is a .bpm file, which is what you have.

If you have already created a project, you need to add it to that particular project by going to project settings>language pair>(your lang pair)>autosuggest dictionary as above.

HTH.

[Edited at 2010-10-06 22:28 GMT]
Collapse

Umang Dholabhai
India
English to Gujarati
+ ...
At Last! Oct 7, 2010

Thank you Emma. I had done everything except adding the nbm's to that particular project. Walter did point it out earlier but the fact is that I had to be spoonfed.

Happy at last!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is "SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-on Plus", and where do I find it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »