Local time: 15:51
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jun 8, 2009

Good news! No more tags in Trados

http://www.translationzone.com/en/Products/sdl-trados-freelance/
Clean, tag-free environment
Intuitive and easy-to-use translation environment lets you focus on translating and accelerates project completion.

English is my not my native language, so please correct me if I am wrong. Tag-free means no tags, right?

But unfortunately, there are tags. There are those purple tags even in Word documents!

Any comments?

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:51
Spanish
+ ...
Those are internal tags Jun 8, 2009

The internal tags can't be written off the code. No system can automatically place internal tags in the target segment; you need to tell Studio where to put them.

But take a look at the recent conversations about Studio, you'll see that internal tags are the least important problem about Studio. SDL disdain for their customers, their refusal to help unless you pay annually for support, the fact you'll lose SDL Trados if you upgrade to Studio, the multiple and recurrent bug and bug-like problem.

SDL Trados Studio 2009 Release - Questions

[Edited at 2009-06-08 15:43 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Marketing Jun 8, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

The internal tags can't be written off the code. No system can automatically place internal tags in the target segment; you need to tell Studio where to put them.

As a user of many CAT tools, I know about it Claudia

So there is something wrong with the marketing of Studio. Tags-free means no tags, it does not mean less tags or only external tags.

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Tags vs. format highlighting Jun 8, 2009

There are many things wrong about Studio, so no surprises there But seriously, I personally prefer using internal tags than SDL or Transit multiple-colors format highlighting. But in Studio, at least for me, I think the easiest way is to use the Tag ID option.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 13:51
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
It's pathetic Jun 8, 2009

Claiming a tag-free environment is really pathetic in any CAT tool.

Frankly, I much prefer seeing and freely (within the syntax, of course) processing tags to beeing held in happy ignorance about them (such ignorance usually turns into somtheing rather unhappy in the end).

Btw, I do not much understand this

Claudia Alvis wrote:

...Transit multiple-colors format highlighting

There is multiple-colour highlighting in Transit, but it denotes other things, not tags - they are all in one colour, at least AFAIK. Or have I missed something interesting?

Antonin

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will not be surprised Jun 8, 2009

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

There is multiple-colour highlighting in Transit, but it denotes other things, not tags - they are all in one colour, at least AFAIK. Or have I missed something interesting?

Antonin

I will no be surprised if there were multiple-colour tags in Transit NXT, considering its new vivid, colourful interface. But at least Star's marketing is lie-free.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
You can switch them off Jun 8, 2009

You can switch the tags display off. It has worked nicely for me. Okay, these were native Word documents, no OCRed mess.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
That's my question Jun 8, 2009

I have been working with NXT on everyday basis, now for about half a year, so I would like to know what eye-candy I am possibly missing Anyway, I always work in settings which show me the real thing, not WYSIWYG, so it is just a matter of an academic interest to me, so to say.

Antonin

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
My mistake then Jun 8, 2009

I used Transit for a month and then for about a week, but that was a couple of years ago. I'm dead wrong then. It was so long ago, I must have mentally merged SDL with Transit and some other psychedelic CAT tool that only exists in my mind. Sorry.

By the way, I still can't thank you enough, Antonin. If it hadn't been for you, I couldn't have finished a very long project.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
You are welcome Jun 8, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

By the way, I still can't thank you enough, Antonin. If it hadn't been for you, I couldn't have finished a very long project.

My pleasure.

I have quite a few complaints about NXT, but it is my first choice for getting the work done all the same, mainly because it boosts my efficiency despite all the unresolved bugs it still has. The more so when I witness the nightmarish ado about the Trados upgrade licensing out there. Actually, I am recently buying the condemned upgrade (while the cost is more or less negligible) with the idea of not activating it for some time.

Antonin

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:51
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Tag-free is only Word :-) Jun 9, 2009

Presenly I'm updating a large project which was originally translated by me in 2004. Most of the changes are segments, where the author has decided to mark as bold some words or group of words. So not much to translate, only putting tags at their according places in Tageditor.
In Word it would be much easier, highlight and press control + B. But in a CAT environment without Word it takes much more keystrokes, sometimes one has to use the mouse and copy from source.
So I would prefer using Word for such tasks.

In SDLX I display tags as tags, it makes it much easier to keep track of them compared to colour coding.

The industry during the last few years has been busy to replace Word as the central environment for translation. The reason seems to be the changes Microsoft applied to their latest product Office 2007. Unfortunately MS spoiled a product that had become the de-facto standard for word processing.
Hope that Microsoft will soon publish a Word 2009 classic, which would be a follower for Word 2003 without major changes.

Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2009-06-09 10:54 GMT]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Tag-free environment: pros & cons Jun 9, 2009

Just like Antonín, I like working with tags displayed. Once you have learned to use them, you can see the document layout without using the target preview (sort of Matrix). Anyways, especially in the case of OCRed documents, you often receive a tag soup, no matter how hard you try to post-process the Word document between OCR and translation. Needless to stress that most of such redundant tags only determine letter spacing and similar s**t. In this case, working in a (more or less) tag-free environment could really be a great benefit to translators.

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing wrong with tags but ... Jun 9, 2009

Many translators working with CAT tools are used to see and handle different tags. Nothing wrong with them, we have learned to live with tags. But the problem is that SDL Trados Studio claims a tag-free environment. I wonder what SDL will do if some of those early birds ask for refunds.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Not exactly Jun 9, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

especially in the case of OCRed documents, you often receive a tag soup, no matter how hard you try to post-process the Word document between OCR and translation.

Here is my macro I apply to OCR-ed documents - it removes most unnecessary tags in the selection.

Sub normal_density_of_chars()
'
' normal_density_of_chars in FineReader output
'
'
With Selection.Font
.Spacing = 0
.Scaling = 100
.Position = 0
.Kerning = 0
End With
End Sub

HTH

Antonin

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Uiii! Jun 9, 2009

A thousand thank-yous, Antonín. Appreciated indeed!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 - Clean, tag-free environment

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search