Thread poster: Olena Mankovska

Olena Mankovska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:25
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2009

Hi!

This must be an easy one, but I don't know how to resolve it. I work with the ITD.file, using SDLX TM (.MDB file). Half of the project has been translated in ITD, but the other half - in Word (no Trados). I aligned the Word translated file, cleaned it up, and created a TM, but it has a .BAK file extension.

PLEASE ADVISE how I can use this TM to apply in my ITD file to complete the project.

I hope this explains.

Thanks and regards,
Olenka

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 16:25
English to Czech
+ ...
Rename Jun 9, 2009

Try to rename the .BAK file to an .MDB file and see if it really is the translation memory.

kangjian  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:25
English to Chinese
import the word TM into SDLX TM Jun 9, 2009

I guess the TM you created is trados format, then you could export it into a .tmx format;

next, import the .tmx into SDLX TM.

final step, apply the SDLX TM in your another half itd file.

Olena Mankovska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:25
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
does not work Jun 11, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Try to rename the .BAK file to an .MDB file and see if it really is the translation memory.

Thanks, Stanislav!

I tried this approach prior to posting my request, but it just did not work - the program kept asking for the MDB file.
Anyhow, I ended up aligning my project in SDL Align, resulting in an appropriate TM, and all worked well:)

Thanks anyway!

Armando Tavano  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 10:25
Member (2006)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
A BAk file is not a TM Jun 17, 2009

With the first cleaning you made with TW you updated a Trados TM, maybe an old one but you didn't use it. You thought that the BAK file was a TM but it was only the result of the cleaning. Instead you should create a Trados TM from scratch and import the result of the alignment that mustn't be cleaned. Afterwards you export it and have a txt file that can be easily loaded in a new or old SDLX TM, namely a mbd file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I use .BAK in SDL Edit?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search