Thread poster: Mark Osborne

Mark Osborne  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:42
French to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2009

Dear all,
I need to purchase a number of licences for our new agency, and was shocked at the prices for Professional licences.

Naturally, a freelance licence is not able to work in a network, but is it possible to use Studio Plus in a network with other Studio Plus licences? The SDL website talks about using the licence on several PCs, but not whether various licences can be used simultaneously...

Thanks!

Mark

Direct link Reply with quote

Agenor Hofmann-Delbor  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:42
English to Polish
TM sharing? Jun 9, 2009

You didn't say if it's a domain-based network. If so, then Professional version is the only option. Also, please note that both Freelance and Freelance Plus won't allow you to share a TM.
So technically yes - you can use several Freelance licenses simultaneously if you work in a peer-to-peer network, but none of the licenses will allow you to share a TM.

[Zmieniono 2009-06-09 19:05 GMT]

Mark Osborne  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Jun 9, 2009

Dear Agenor,

thanks for your help. I'm not sure about the nautre of the network - I'll have to check. But sharing a TM will not be crucial - I plan for each person to clean their work into a central TM after completion. Annoying, but a possible workaround to avoid spending GBP 12000 on licences. That's a bit steep for a start-up...

Do you happen to know if any of the other classic CAT tools are cheaper for network operations?

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 03:42
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
There are cheaper alternatives Jun 9, 2009

Mark Osborne wrote:

Do you happen to know if any of the other classic CAT tools are cheaper for network operations?

Hi Mark,

Deja Vu X Workgroup version seems a good alternative. And the Editor version is free
http://www.atril.com/

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Cheaper and sometimes better :) Jun 10, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Mark Osborne wrote:

Deja Vu X Workgroup version seems a good alternative. And the Editor version is free
http://www.atril.com/

Yep.
From several years ago, I use DVX Professional/Wokgroup in mixed Trados-DVX-Trados workflows.
I.e. I prepare the files for translation in Trados (generally, Trados has good and highly customizable filters for several file types), I translate in DVX and I make the final revision/QA in Trados.

In this case, Trados is only a pre- and postprocessing tool, you can buy only few licences for PMs and a bunch of cheaper tools for your internal translators.
This kind od approach is getting common as the Trados Pro prices are simply crazy.

BTW.
DVX Workgroup version is not a must, you can start with Pro, then upgrade if you like it.

You can implement this kind of workflow for several CAT tools, e.g. MemoQ or Swordfish, just take a look.
The list is not extensive, I mention only the tools I use.

Cheers
GG

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
12000 GBP? Jun 10, 2009

Oh my. I would think that a MemoQ server license, which comes with 5 distributable user licenses for a mere 4000 euros or so would be a much, much, much better deal. Check it out at www.kilgray.com.

I love DVX Workgroup and use it daily along with MemoQ. There are many things I can do with it that I cannot yet do with MemoQ, but there is no good server solution currently available. One can, however, share TMs, and I prefer the way the data are structured for multiple target languages with a customer.

If support is important to you, however, Kilgray's MemoQ is currently the best bet without question. And the pace of development for that product is nothing short of amazing. They already have a stable solution for what SDL promises to get sorted out by sometime next year

French to Polish
+ ...
Networks... Jun 10, 2009

Mark Osborne wrote:

thanks for your help. I'm not sure about the nautre of the network - I'll have to check.

If you have Windows server, it's 99% sure you have a domain.
Otherwise, you have P2P unless you have a Linux server emulating a domain controller.

BTW.
It's possible to "cheat" a little bit and use FL on domain based networks.
The machines should not be added to the domain and properly firewalled or insulated (IMHO the easier solution is to use managed LAN switchs in order to make these machines invisible for other FL machines, you configure the ports, you plug the wires and you forgot all the firewall stuff).
But it's only a palliative.

But sharing a TM will not be crucial - I plan for each person to clean their work into a central TM after completion. Annoying
quote]
Yes, it's annoying and may be counterproductive if your translators work on the same project, the synchronization may be a pain in the arse.
The TM subcategorization is a must.

Cheers
GG

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 03:42
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
DVXCOM+ Jun 10, 2009

Anybody using DVXCOM+ for networking?

http://www.necco.ca/dv/working_with_dvx.htm#networking

French to Polish
+ ...
DVXCOM+ vs file based DB sharing... Jun 11, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Anybody using DVXCOM+ for networking?

http://www.necco.ca/dv/working_with_dvx.htm#networking

Too few Workgroup licences
But this client/server approach should considerably speed up the operation.
During some batch tasks (e.g. pretlanslation) DVX writes/reads a lot of data in the TM(s)/termbase(s)/project file, up to 7-8 MB/s, so, if you simply share files over the network, you'll rapidly need a gigabit ethernet network and fast hard drives.
IMHO the simple file sharing works well up to 5 workstations if you heavily use such background batch tasks, especially for big projects.
The distributed DVXCOM+ should reduce the network traffic to some tiny amount and speed up the effective disk access (approx. 2, maybe 3 times, depending of your PC/network configuration).

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Trados 2007/9 Studio Plus in a network

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search