How many languages can you set in SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance?
Thread poster: Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:14
English to French
+ ...
Jun 9, 2009

Like many of us, I was browsing the SDL site today to figure out what I will get if I do decide to upgrade to Trados Studio 2009 Freelance. At http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdl-trados-professional/ under the Feature Comparison tab, I found a bit of information that I am definitely not liking, so I thought I would ask about it here, seeing as SDL support see... See more
Like many of us, I was browsing the SDL site today to figure out what I will get if I do decide to upgrade to Trados Studio 2009 Freelance. At http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdl-trados-professional/ under the Feature Comparison tab, I found a bit of information that I am definitely not liking, so I thought I would ask about it here, seeing as SDL support seems to be following this forum closely.

How many languages can I set in Studio Freelance? It says in the table referred to above that I can set one source language and five target languages. This is getting scary. Have SDL decided that a competent translator can't have more than one source language? I work with language combinations that involve only three languages, but two of them are source languages.

Please, tell me this isn't true!
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sure it's not the other way around? Jun 9, 2009

ViktoriaG wrote:

It says in the table referred to above that I can set one source language and five target languages. This is getting scary. Have SDL decided that a competent translator can't have more than one source language? I work with language combinations that involve only three languages, but two of them are source languages.

You can acquire as many second languages as you want (which is not the same as translating them), but being native to them (as TL) is limited.

I saw this much: "the Freelance version supports up to 5 languages (which are selected upon installation)"

That was available in earlier versions, too, wasn't it? I did choose 5.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:14
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quote Jun 9, 2009

You are right, it's the other way around. I quote the page I posted a link to in my previous post:
Languages: 1 source, 5 target

This is getting weirder and weirder... So, according to SDL, a translator can't have more than one source language, but any translator can speak up to five languages at native level?

It indeed looks like a mistake on their site...

[Edited at 2009-06-09 22:06 GMT]

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Creating projects Jun 10, 2009

This must refer to creating a project: you cannot create a project with more than 1 source language and more than 5 target languages.

Upon installation, I don't recall being asked to pick 5 languages like the previous versions of Trados (but I can be wrong...) and when I create a project, I can see pretty much all languages and language variants available...

[Edited at 2009-06-10 04:09 GMT]

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I got the impression that the number of languages is not limited at all any more Jun 10, 2009

I think I did create a test project and noticed that I could choose from an entire list of languages. I will be able to confirm the situation once I have looked at the software a little bit more.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
That makes more sense Jun 10, 2009

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

This must refer to creating a project: you cannot create a project with more than 1 source language and more than 5 target languages.

for PMs using a corporate licence, but not for freelancers.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Why not? Jun 10, 2009

Some freelancers are also outsourcers and it's not that uncommon for them to receive requests for translation into more than one target language.

In the case of multiple source languages, nothing stops you from entering 2 projects, one per source language.

As Astrid mentionned, the current limitation are not as set in stone as when you installed previous versions. In Studio (Freelance) you have the possibility to select from multiple languages when creating a project.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many languages can you set in SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »