Thread poster: Tomas Forro

Tomas Forro  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:42
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jun 10, 2009

Hello guys,
I would like to ask those early birds who already bought Trados 2009 if it is worth all the pain, possible software bugs, malfunctioning etc.?

In other words, are you satisfied with the new version? Is it even working? What are the ups and downs face to face the
"decades of translation technology experience and over $100 million invested into research and development to bring you the most innovative and revolutionary software on the market."?
[sic!]
(That was copied from SDL webpage )icon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

It's not that I'm dying to support the SDL, but I need to invest some money instead of giving it to the taxcollector this month...icon_smile.gif

Your experience/opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Tomas.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:42
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
I am asking myself the same question Jun 10, 2009

For the time being I plan to wait with an upgrade for another 6 months or even a year unless clients require it but I am curious what are opinions of those of you who have already upgraded - was it worth it?

Cheers
S

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
There are enough alternatives Jun 10, 2009

Hello Tomas,
for some 750 euros, I think that there are enough alternatives to SDL you can think about.

I bought Freelance 2007 last year and am now expected to upgrade to Studio 2009 if my PSMA (maintenance and support contract) is to be renewed. Too bad for me - and for SDL, as I had no real intention to upgrade anyway.

It nevertheless seems that some colleagues are going along fine with this new CAT tool, so I will leave it at that and let them express their opinion too.icon_wink.gif

Laurent K.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Upgrade Jun 10, 2009

Hi Tomas,
I've been using Studio for the past two weeks. Well, it's definitely much faster than TagEditor in the case of large files with lots of repetitions. On the other hand, I'm also experiencing a number of crashes: quite annoying, but nothing really serious in terms of losing two hours of work.
I recommend that you wait for the first patch that will probably resolve these issues. More or less...

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:42
Spanish
+ ...
Suite Jun 10, 2009

I'm still using the RC and besides the licensing debacle all the problems I've read about (the RC is very stable), I will probably upgrade because it's really a great product.

AutoSuggestions are very very useful (see http://spedr.com/3feqt for a brief description)

Managing and updating filters fields are also much easier and faster

Also, project templates can be saved, so I keep one for each client and sub-client

But my favorite feature by far is real time QA, which used to take me a lot of time after each translation. Studio will highlight any inconsistency based on your settings, terminology, etc, and display them while you translate.

By the way, is there any other CAT tool that has something like that, real time QA? I'm open to trying other tools.

[Edited at 2009-06-10 16:05 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:42
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
QA? Jun 10, 2009

Dear Claudia, could you explain to an ignorant what do you mean with QA? In practice? I never used such a function but nobody so far has complained. How would it improve my work?
Regards
Heinrich
PS quite satisfied with Trados 2007 on Vista.

Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
MemoQ Jun 10, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

By the way, is there any other CAT tool that has something like that, real time QA? I'm open to trying other tools.

You can try MemoQicon_smile.gif

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:42
Spanish
+ ...
MemoQ Jun 10, 2009

I've been meaning to check out MemoQ for a while now, I guess I'll move it up in my to-do list. Thanks.

Heinrich, I'll answer you in your other post.

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
I suggest you try Wordfast for Real time QA Jun 23, 2009

Real time QA in Wordfast is pretty good as well.

You simply have to tick a box in the glossary setup window to turn it on and you will be warned if Wordfast finds a source term in your glossary that is in the source text you are translating but fails to find the corresponding glossary target term when you attempt to validate the segment.

You can turn on/off MS Word spell and grammar check during your translation session (I prefer to run the spell check at the end as a separate process).

Wordfast also checks for missing punctuation, consistency with numeric values, double spaces, etc.

Finally, you can create easy to use blacklists: a simple text file with one or more words that shouldn't be used in the translation on each line.

There are many other more advanced features such as attribute penalties. I suggest you download the training guides from the WF website to find out more.

Good luck!

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 21:42
English to Portuguese
I am happy I bought Studio 2009... Jun 24, 2009

...although I am not using it in my work...icon_smile.gif

Studio 2009 has so many wonderful features that I am glad I purchased it, since I'll stay with Trados_been using it for 9 years_and the price I paid will be compensated in the next major upgrades.

I keep on using Suite Freelance 2007 because my clients demand Word bilingual files, and, unfortunately, Studio 2009 has not implemented_yet_some very important options when importing memories ("overwrite" and "leave unchanged" existing TUs).

Anyway, I was so excited with Studio 2009 that I "early adopted" it. SDL will round the sharp edges and, meanwhile, I rely on the trusted "Sweet Freelance" 2007. I knew Studio 2009 was still a work in progress, but what a work!!!!! Since I Beta-tested it, I said: "It will not replace 2007 immediately, but I must start using this...". Now it is running on my Windows 7 RC 64-bit along with 2007. Best of both worlds, and for just $160 I will not wait until someone says it's OK: I'll see it by myself.

Of course I recognize the complaints placed here are a great force to speed up the needed improvements... But the guys at SDL know all that, and they are working on it.

Cheers

Edric

Jaakko Heikkila  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2006)
English to Finnish
Any comments on 64-bit compatibility? Jun 24, 2009

I have also purchased the update, but have not yet installed Studio 2009 for quite the same reasons as Edric.

Edric Barbosa Filho wrote:

Now it is running on my Windows 7 RC 64-bit along with 2007. Best of both worlds, and for just $160 I will not wait until someone says it's OK: I'll see it by myself.

I would very much appreciate some comments on 64-bit compatibility. I am running on a 64-bit Vista system and was somewhat apprehended when SDL announced that they cannot give any guarantee on the functionality of Studio 2009 on 64-bit systems. With Suite 2007, SDL announced that all the other features should work on 64-bit systems, but compatibility for MultiTerm 2007 was limited and, I quote: "We are currently working on a version of SDL MultiTerm which will be compatible on a 64-bit operating system. "

I was pretty much expecting full 64-bit compatibility for Studio 2009, but now it seems that we've proceeded back to square one.

[Edited at 2009-06-24 07:22 GMT]

Tomas Forro  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I would appreciate that too! Jun 24, 2009

I agree with you Jaakko!
This is one of the issues I need to make clear about before buying Trados Studio 2009. When I realized in 2008 that Multiterm 2007 is not compatible with my 64-bit PC (and we are in 2009 now, mind you!), I got so mad!

I'm definitely not even thinking about buying it before some of my colleagues could confirm the 2009 Studio is 64-bit friendly.

Or maybe some of the ever-watching SDL Trados support staff would make any comment on this topic?
- After submitting this thread on proz, I got a few emails from the proz members who complained that their reply on Trados topics was censored by the forum watchdog. So contributing to our discussion might prove much more fruitful than simply banning the posts that are not in accordance with SDL policy.

Anyway, taking into account all I found out about Trados, I think I'm going to invest my money into some dictionaries instead of doing the rash shopping based solely on SDL marketing.

Michael Kazakov  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
Fuzzy auto-propagation in Studio 2009 Jun 24, 2009

Do I read correctly this knowledge base article?

My favorite part of the whole SDL package is SDLX, which I really like because of the auto-propagation feature: it will auto-propagate the translation units with the fuzzy matches where I can set the "fuzziness" level (normally 75%) and it will use both TM matches and the current translation.

Does the article imply that auto-propagation works ONLY with 100% matches?

I must be missing something somewhere, it just cannot be true, does not make any sense.

P.S. When I saw the first screenshots of the Studio editor it looked like very nicely polished SDLX Edit block, but if the above is true this is a serious hit of functionality...:(

Roy OConnor
German to English
Studio not fully tested under 64-bit Jun 24, 2009

In response to Tomas and Jaakko I can say that I put the 64-bit compatibility question to the panel at the Frankfurt roadshow. I have a 64-bit m/c currently running "Sweet 2007" and find that there is a loss of Multiterm functionality. When queried at the roadshow, the SDL developers said that 64-bit compatibility had not been fully tested. They were initially concentrating on the 32-bit version since this was the one used by most major customers.

The problem is that in electronic cash and carry shops 64-bit Vista is more or less the standard, particularly if you want 4MB or more of memory. If SDL don´t want to lose their freelance sales, they will soon have to do something as IMHO the future is 64-bit!

Derek Ferrari-Frankland  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
MemoQ is certainly the best and most versatile alternative around Jun 24, 2009

Mykhailo Voloshko wrote:

Claudia Alvis wrote:

You can try MemoQicon_smile.gif

Having tested MemoQ for a month I agree. Getting started is so simple and intuitive, no need to read hundreds of instruction pages. QA is extremely effective.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 - should I bother?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search