SDLX Suite and PowerPoint 2007: Are they really compatible?
Thread poster: Silvia GOMEZ

Silvia GOMEZ  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:01
English to Spanish
Jun 10, 2009

I have used SDLX to translate PowerPoint files for years. It was a fantastic tool to translate slides with images, tables and text in a user-friendly way.

But ever since I upgraded to Office 2007 and SDLX 2007 (SP3) working with ppt files has become a nightmare.

1) SDLX does not extract all the text in the file. For instance, it does not extract the text in tables, which is bothersome because when I convert the itd to ppt I have to translate the tables manually.

2) Last week, we tried converting the same file in two different PCs, one with SDLX 2007 and PowerPoint 2007 and the other one with SDLX 2006 and Office 2003. The result was 1,500 words more in the itd file converted using the older versions!!

3) When I convert the itd back to ppt, in most slides I see the translated text and the original text as well. Sometimes, they are even repeated up to three times!!

4) I've downloaded a patch from their website to no avail.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I received several comments from another list, but nobody seems to know how to fix it.

Since many people are experiencing this difficulty, I don't believe it's reasonable to pay for a service agreement when apparently it is a problem with the software itself.

I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

Silvia Gómez
silvia@centrad.com.ar

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX Suite and PowerPoint 2007: Are they really compatible?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search