How do I convert a bilingual Word file to monolingual using Trados?
Thread poster: Alan Frankel

Alan Frankel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:30
German to English
Jun 11, 2009

I have a bilingual Word (.doc) file that I want to convert to a target monolingual Word file. Is it possible to do this using Trados? I would think so, since it's a pretty obvious need, but I can't find any description of how to do it either within Trados help documentation or on the web. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Note that I've also posted a question in the Office forum about whether this can be done with Office.

Thanks,
Alan

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:30
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
TWB > Tools > Cleanup Jun 11, 2009

Hi Alan,

bilingual *doc file (translated with TWB in MSWord) have to be cleaned, i.e. on TWB click on Tools > Cleanup, then select the file you wish to clean.

Once cleaned, you'll have a *bak file (you can still open in MSWord), bilingual with all tags, and a *doc (or *rtf depending on the original format), only target.

If you use this way, your TM is updated.

Sometimes files cannot be cleaned via TWB's Cleanup, normally heavy formatted *doc with a lot of embedded objects/links etc.. It is possible to clean them directly in MSWord. Macro > TwainCleanmain. This way all tags and the source text are removed (sometimes not in footnotes, so that you have to do it manually, better checking the file once more before delivering). This way your TM will not be updated!

May I humbly suggest that you make yourself familiar with Trados main options? The online help (in TWB) is really shorticon_wink.gif

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-06-11 05:01 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:30
English to Czech
+ ...
RTM Jun 11, 2009

Alan Frankel wrote:

I have a bilingual Word (.doc) file that I want to convert to a target monolingual Word file. Is it possible to do this using Trados? I would think so, since it's a pretty obvious need, but I can't find any description of how to do it either within Trados help documentation or on the web. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Note that I've also posted a question in the Office forum about whether this can be done with Office.

Thanks,
Alan

Read the manual, before you start using ANYTHING for production purposes.

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Stanislav's suggestion Jun 11, 2009

I second Stanislav's motion!

Really, this is the fundamental reason for TRADOS to be, to produce clean target documents after translation and update the memory so it can be reused saving you time and effort. But it is not that simple. I also advise you to read, read and read again the manuals. TRADOS is too complex an application to treat it lightly and learn it by asking. After reading and understanding, practice, practice, and practice before accepting a job that requires TRADOS.

United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
The tw4winClean.Main macro worked, but wasn't in the help Jun 11, 2009

In fact, I have not only read the manual multiple times, but I've gone through the whole training, passed the exams, and have achieved the highest level of certification in using Trados. But I still find that some of the most basic operations are not covered in either the documentation or the training, and the help documentation is useless for troubleshooting many problems. What that means to me is that the manual and training aren't very good. Basically, they focus on making sure that every menu item is covered somewhere, but not on really explaining what needs to be done in order to accomplish basic tasks. So I know the process for converting Interleaf files, which I've never seen in my life, but when it comes to cleaning files that were not produced via TagEditor, I always hit a snag. In this case, the snag I hit when I tried to use CleanUp from TWB was the error message: "-2147467259: This file cannot be processed as TTX because it was saved as a bilingual document in Word." I have always seen that message, so I've given up on using that method, which is of course the most straightforward.

I had never heard of the tw4winClean.Main macro before (which is what Giuliana undoubtedly meant by twainCleanmain), but it did the trick perfectly. The only thing is that it's not in the documentation. Do you remember where you learned about this macro, Giuliana? Had the rest of you heard about it?

Thanks for the concrete reply, Giuliana. It solved my problem. In the meantime, I found out that the QuickClean macro from Wordfast (which, unlike Trados, has a menu of its own under Word) also does the trick. Even the demo version of Wordfast has this macro.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:30
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Possible reason why you get that error message Jun 11, 2009

Hi Alan,

(sorry for the typo in the macro name, I was in a hurry and didn't re-read my posting)

Well, I call Trados a sophisticated macro machineicon_biggrin.gif - a long time ago I simply scrolled all the macros available in MSWord and experimented with those, which looked Trados-like. Still, this forum is full of references to that macro (and many many more quick-fix suggestions)

BTW, had you said you knew how to clean, but couldn't, I'd have asked about the following...

As to why you can't clean *doc files in TWB (provided they are not heavily formatted, have a lot of images, graphics, embedded xy etc.), you can check following:

In TWB, Options > TM Options > Tools

- TRADOStag XML workflow for Workbench RTF files
- TRADOStag XML workflow for Word doc files

have to be unchecked AFAIK (at least, they are not and have never been checked in my TWB and I have never read that error message... got to read the oddest, had the funniest error messages over the years, but not this one)

Giuliana

United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, unchecking those options fixed the problem, Giuliana Jun 11, 2009

You're right, Giuliana. Unchecking those options allowed me to use the CleanUp function successfully. I would have loved it if the error message had told me to do that.

United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Word's Print Preview shows only the target language Jun 18, 2009

I also found out that Print Preview from within Word will only display the target language. This is very useful before you do the final step of clearing out the source language.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I convert a bilingual Word file to monolingual using Trados?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search