Bad paragraph in Word doc - translation units can't be closed
Thread poster: Alan Frankel

Alan Frankel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:26
German to English
Jun 11, 2009

I have a Word document that contains one "bad" paragraph. Whenever I open up one of the segments as a translation unit, I cannot close it. When I try, I get the following Microsoft Visual Basic error window:

:::

"Microsoft Visual Basic

Run-time error '5941':

The requested member of the collection does not exist.

[buttons:] Continue / End / Debug / Help

:::

"Continue" and "Debug" are grayed out. Clicking on "Help" brings up an empty help window. Clicking on "End" accomplishes nothing except dismissing the error window. Once I reach this point, I can no longer close the translation unit. If I try, I get the same error window as before. The only thing I can do at this point is to close Word and lose all unsaved changes.

There are only 4 contiguous segments with this problem.

I'm using Microsoft Word 2003 and Trados Freelance Suite 2007.

I could mail or upload a file containing only this paragraph -- there's nothing confidential in it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

ElliBe  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:26
French to German
+ ...
I's perhaps because of the end of paragraph tag Jun 11, 2009

Hello,
I had a similar problem with Trados. The source text contained 'odd' end of paragraph signs which appeared like the normal ones on the screen but Trados wouldn't accept them. After I replaced them in the original source word file (the copy I had made before starting the translation with Trados) by selecting them one by one and pressing 'enter', everything was okay.

Good luck.

Elke

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:26
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
I had some of these... Jun 11, 2009

Everything stops, realll... One time "Fix document" did the trick, other times I copied the "bad" text (the bad paragraph with its immediate neighbours) to WordPad and then back to Word and it worked.

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:26
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
No need to change applications Jun 11, 2009

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

Everything stops, realll... One time "Fix document" did the trick, other times I copied the "bad" text (the bad paragraph with its immediate neighbours) to WordPad and then back to Word and it worked.

I've encountered something similar while using Wordfast and dealt with it by forcing a desegmentation of the offending paragraph, selecting it and then cutting and immediately repasting it and choosing the option to "paste unformatted text". Then I re-segmented it and it was fine. Of course, had there been any formatting lost in this process, it would have needed to have been reinstated, but that could have been done at the end of translation, after cleaning up the document.

Alan Frankel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:26
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Copying to and from WordPad did the trick Jun 11, 2009

Copying the offending paragraph to and back from WordPad did the trick. The formatting changed slightly, so I had to reformat it, but it wasn't a big deal. I imagine that I could have copied to and from a text editor, and since I would have had to reformat in any case, the amount of work would have been the same.

Thank you, everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bad paragraph in Word doc - translation units can't be closed

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search