What's the reason for OLE/COM or file name error in Trados?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 12:27
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jun 11, 2009

Hi,

I am a new user of Trados (Version 7.0, Win XP, MS Office 2003). When I try to clean a bilingual Word file, I get this message in the Workbench:

Error 50202-Word could not convert document due to OLE/COM or file name error.

I changed the file name but the problem is persisting. How should I solve this problem as
I want to clean the file to update my translation memory.

Regards,

Chopra

Michel GAUBERT
Michel GAUBERT
Spain
Local time: 08:57
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
"Change the sheets" Jun 11, 2009

Hi,

the first thing I would do is to "change the bedsheets", i.e. open a blank Word doc and paste the contents of your document in it. Then save it to RTF and give it a simple name, like test.rtf. Thay may/will/could/might solve the problem.

If not, have a look at your log file. Sometimes, Workbench error messages do not mean what they seem. It may be that you left your log file open, or that it is on an external drive you disconnected, or... whatever.

If t
... See more
Hi,

the first thing I would do is to "change the bedsheets", i.e. open a blank Word doc and paste the contents of your document in it. Then save it to RTF and give it a simple name, like test.rtf. Thay may/will/could/might solve the problem.

If not, have a look at your log file. Sometimes, Workbench error messages do not mean what they seem. It may be that you left your log file open, or that it is on an external drive you disconnected, or... whatever.

If this does not work, you may want to check if you don't have an empty segments, or a segment containing a "special" character, like a "?", a "/" or a "*"... If you find one, just type the sign, out of the segment and delete the segment.

If that doesn't work either, you can at least manually clean the file. Go to Tools/Macro/macro, select tw4winClean.Main and click "Run". It will clean your file, but your memory will not be incremented. At least you can send the clean file to your customer. First check that there are no codes left Run a search on Hidden text.

Hope this helps.

Michel
Collapse

Agenor Hofmann-Delbor
Agenor Hofmann-Delbor  Identity Verified
English to Polish
This may be obvious... Jun 12, 2009

This may be obvious (sorry!), but are you sure you closed the bilingual file before running Clean-up in Translator's Workbench?

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Jun 12, 2009

I closed the file before trying to clean it.

Agenor Hofmann-Delbor wrote:

This may be obvious (sorry!), but are you sure you closed the bilingual file before running Clean-up in Translator's Workbench?

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Michel, thanks for detailed and informative answer, but... Jun 12, 2009

none of your valuable suggestions is working and I can't get Macro in Tools menu.

Allegro AS
Allegro AS
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Try converting to rtf. Jun 17, 2009

From my experience with this problem, it only occurs with .doc files, and it usually helps to save the original file as .rtf.

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
RTF conversion did not work because file was too big? Feb 25, 2011

Hi, in my case conversion into RTF by Word 2007 did not work and I had to change the registry to solve the problem, see http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/115958-error_50202:_word_couldnt_convert_the_document_due_to_an_ole_com_or_file_name_error.html

Matthias

Céline Débiton
Céline Débiton  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Close MS Word in Processes under the Windows Task Manager Oct 20, 2012

I know this topic is quite old now but in case it could help somebody, I've actually found a solution and I guess this is where the problem comes from: before doing your clean up, close your Word file. THEN, go to Windows Task Manager > Processes and search and stop Microsoft Word. You can now clean your file without error. Let me know if it works for you too

Céline

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your tip Oct 21, 2012

I posted this topic almost three and a half years ago. I have not faced this problem again. However, as and when I encounter again, I'll use the method explained by you.

Thanks again.

Chopra

Céline Débiton wrote:

I know this topic is quite old now but in case it could help somebody, I've actually found a solution and I guess this is where the problem comes from: before doing your clean up, close your Word file. THEN, go to Windows Task Manager > Processes and search and stop Microsoft Word. You can now clean your file without error. Let me know if it works for you too

Céline

Stefan Santuche
Stefan Santuche
Local time: 03:57
English to Portuguese
rtx format Mar 20, 2016

Just save as RTX format.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the reason for OLE/COM or file name error in Trados?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »