What is a Trados analysis of a document?
Thread poster: Susan Nicholls

Susan Nicholls  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:03
French to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2009

Hello there

I am afraid CAT tools and I are not on familiar terms, although I am learning fast. An agency is asking me to correct a document and wants to know my price for doing it plus supplying a Trados analysis of the document. The short answer to that is "can't do", but I wondered what information she was looking for from the analysis?

Any help gratefully received.
Thank you!

Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:03
Dutch to English
+ ...
In a nutshell ... Jun 12, 2009

The analysis provides a detailed breakdown of the source text word count, showing the number of internal repetitions existing in the document and any matches with the relevant TM (the translation memory created from old translations) in terms of percentages.

If you give discounts for matches, it is done on the basis of the percentages in the analysis.

Whether you should give discounts is another issue and hopefully this thread will not be hijacked to discuss the pros and cons of this practice. There are plenty of old threads on that particular topic in the archives.

Hope this helps
Debs

PS: Since you can't do the job anyhow and there is no immediate rush, you are welcome to email the analysis to me and sometime over the weekend I'll explain it in more detail, using specific figures. You can email me via my website or profile page.

[Edited at 2009-06-12 12:36 GMT]

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but still not quite clear on it. Jun 12, 2009

By the by, I don't know whether the agency will want me to do the job without Trados or not - they might, as it is such a specialized document. I hasten to say there was nothing about CAT tools at all when I applied for this (whatever happened to sitting in the garden, pen in hand...).
In fact they didn't send me an analysis, they seem to want me to produce one. They sent the TT to be corrected and the ST for reference in response to me asking to see it before quoting.
I'm not sure I understand how this works in this case, seeing that it is a correction.
Is it really just a question of getting discounts? Or do they want to see that I have actually corrected something? Or did they want me to use their TM and correct it, so they end up with a correct glossary and so forth?
How do thing usually work in these cases?

At the moment I am trying to get my head around Wordfast which I believe can use and create Trados compatible TMs, so it is not impossible that I could comply, but I need to get a clearer understanding first before offering to try!

Thank you again.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A question for Susan Jun 12, 2009

Susan Nicholls wrote:
An agency is asking me to correct a document and wants to know my price for doing it plus supplying a Trados analysis of the document.

Correct it or translate it? If "correct it", does the document look normal or is there a bunch of purple codes in it? I assume this is an MS Word file -- go to your options and enable the display of hidden text (very important). Are there purple codes all over the place?

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No purple codes Jun 12, 2009

Aren't you wonderful for trying to help me out!
No purple codes I'm afraid.
As far as I know it was a Word 2007 DocX file which I read in Word 2003. I hope the conversion wouldn't affect it.

But yes, it is correction and proofreading of a text that has already been translated.

Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:03
Japanese to English
Lack of Trados expertise all round? Jun 12, 2009

You don't actually state whether you have Trados, which would help one to understand your situation.

You can see if there are Trados tags in the document by going to Tools > Options > View and checking Hidden Text (in Word). If you see purple tags, those are Trados tags, and if you do edit the file, you'll have to be careful not to delete any of them.

It sounds as though the client doesn't really know anything about Trados either, because asking for an analysis after translation seems fairly meaningless. You can update the document directly without having Trados.

When you get a request you don't understand, it's probably best to ask the person making the request what they actually want, because they may be asking for something they don't need or can't actually get. I've had even fairly Trados-savvy clients ask me to do inefficient things because they weren't aware of their other options. So, best to ask.

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice Jun 12, 2009

Thank you - there is certainly lack of knowledge on my part: I don't have Trados, which is what I replied. I see no problem with correcting the text as it is. However, I wanted to understand what was meant by the analysis, which obviously I cannot provide as such. As it is I still don't see the point, maybe you are right and there is a lack of knowledge at the other end too - but I am in no position to comment on that!!! You are in a better position to ask questions, because you know the answers. Thank you again.

Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:03
Japanese to English
In brief Jun 12, 2009

The analysis just tells you how many characters and sentences (segments) there are in a document, how many of them match the content of a specific memory and by what percentage, and how many of the segments are repeated. This shows you how much work needs to be done, and may suggest a pricing structure. If the document has already been translated, all segments would be a 100% match (maybe give or take a few percent for oddness' sake). Hence, not much point in analyzing it. And if the client had Trados, they could do it themselves with a couple of clicks.

The analysis has nothing to do with correct glossaries or anything so sophisticated.

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, it is clear to me now! Jun 12, 2009

In fact, it looks as though I could produce such a report with Wordfast in any case were the TM made available to me.
On the other hand, I suppose that if I were to segment the TT and correct it to produce a second TT, then the report would show how many repeated segments there were, and how many 100% matches, and therefore how many corrections I had actually made. Perhaps this is what she had in mind.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I doubt it Jun 12, 2009

Susan Nicholls wrote:
On the other hand, I suppose that if I were to segment the TT and correct it to produce a second TT, then the report would show how many repeated segments there were, and how many 100% matches, and therefore how many corrections I had actually made. Perhaps this is what she had in mind.

That would be a strange request, if that is indeed what she had in mind.

I really don't understand the client's wishes here. An analysis is done prior to translation on a unilingual text, or after translation on a bilingual text. Your text is already translated but it is unilingual. I can see no value that a Trados analysis would have for the client.

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all. Jun 12, 2009

Good, well I'm not feeling so bad now about not being able to provide the analysis. All things in good time!
Thank you very much for helping out, everybody.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
If you ever need... Jun 12, 2009

If you ever need a quick analysis of a file to know how many words there are or to make your quotation to your customer, just do not hesitate to email via Proz. I'll be glad to help. Have a lovely weekend!

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very kind of you! Jun 12, 2009

Thanks a lot.
The end of the story is that the client got back to me about the job, and no more was said about Trados. But next time I will be able to handle it differently - thanks to you all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a Trados analysis of a document?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search