Thread poster: kimjasper

kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:18
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Jun 12, 2009

Some of you might be interested in this: You can only run MT 2007 or MT 2009. Trados supports MT 2007 (and only 2007) up to and including Trados Suite, Trados Studio only supports MT 2009.
That implies that you can use MultiTerm in either your Studio environment or in your older (legacy) environment, not both. Just got this confirmed from SDL support.
My customers are not migrating overnight. Some of them are still using the old Word format, others are sending ttx files plus Workbench TMs and require TagEditor as the tool. That means that up to 50% of my work is not supported by MultiTerm from now on.
I understand that SDL will migrate parts of the legacy code base to the Studio code base over the coming year. I would recommend that they prioritize making MT 2009 work with Workbench sooner rather than later. Please chip in here - am I the only one with this issue?

Kim

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can use Multiterm 2009 with SDL Trados 2007 Suite Jun 12, 2009

I'm doing that on daily basis.
Both SDL Trados 2007 Suite and SDL Trados 2009 Studio are installed on my PC and BOTH work with Multiterm 2009. So where is your problem?

Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm 2009 with Trados 2007 Suite Jun 12, 2009

That would be good news. Can you access MT 2009 from Workbench? My workbench says that MultiTerm is not running. FYI the answer from SDL support was: "You will need to uninstall MultiTerm 2009 and reinstall Multiterm 2007 to use terminology in SDL Trados 2007. "

Kim

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
SDL Trados 2007 Suite 8.3.0.863 Jun 12, 2009

The version and build are certainly very important. AFAIK only the SDL Trados 2007 Suite version 8.3.0.863 will work with Multiterm 2009.
If you have this version, it will recognise MT and work with it. This is so in case of all my three machines I have.

Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm 2009 with Trados 2007 Suite Jun 12, 2009

Jerzy, it seems you got it figured out already. I was on 863 (aka Suite) already, but after my last post I got this supplementary info from SDL - may be useful to some of you.

"Sorry for the previous mail I was incorrect. Suite SDL Trados 2007 will work with Multiterm 2009. You just need to select Trados 8 as the MultiTerm version in TWB MultiTerm options. "

I checked this and it works. I had Trados 5 as my version before. When you change to Trados 8, you have to specify the location of your termbases which by default is C:\Users\[your Windos user account]1\Documents\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\Termbases

Kim

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It is not possible to add any termbases Jun 12, 2009

Hallo Jerzy,

Firstly, I have the build 8.3.0.863.

I have the possibility to select "Multiterm 8".

Then I can browse to add the termbase.

I can find the termbase and add it to the list.

However, the "OK" button is greyed out, so I am obliged to click "Cancel" and then, of course, no termbase is added.

Result: I cannot use the 2007 Suite with Multiterm 2009.

Astrid

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can Jun 12, 2009

after you added the termbases to use to the list click each of them in the list, so that they appear selected there and press ok. That's all.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Thank you very much, Jerzy Jun 12, 2009

Yes, it has worked.

Many thanks.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2009/2007 coexistence: MultiTerm

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search