Small tip to create TTX files
Thread poster: Susan van den Ende

Susan van den Ende  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:23
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 12, 2009

I found myself sending this tip to several different translators by now, so I thought I'd share:

Creating ttx files:

This instruction was written for a ppt file, but the same procedure works with many other file types. If you only use one screen, put the programmes next to each other in smaller windows.

Creating a ttx in the fast lane:

Step 1: open TagEditor.

Step 2: drag the file from its folder into the empty TagEditor screen. It will open.

Step 3: CTRL+S, and you'll see a ttx appear under the ppt file in the folder.

You can also select multiple files in one go and drag them into the empty TagEditor screen.

Only thing to check is whether the language fits the TM. If it doesn't, you'll get a Trados error notification when you try to analyse the ttx or when you try to connect to Workbench. Here's how to solve it:

Rightclick the ttx file name. You'll get a set of options, choose "open using ..." and then "wordpad". It'll open as a txt-like file. CTRL+F "source" will get you the first instance, which is "SourceLanguage=" Change the wrong language code into the one that fits your TM. CTRL+S, ALTF4, open again using TagEditor, fixed!

Direct link Reply with quote

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
what's the point? Jun 12, 2009

Can you tell me for what should I do this?

I don't understand. What can I do with this empty TTX? or where is the difference if I send a PPT or this "empty" TTX to a translator?

I suppose I am missing something...

Regards

Fernando

Germany
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No longer empty Jun 12, 2009

After you've dragged the file into the TagEditor screen, it's no longer "empty". The text from the powerpoint is in there

Why?

Many translators prefer working in TagEditor over working in the powerpoint / Word / other file types directly. So they convert their files to a TTX file before they start their job. This method makes that conversion go faster.

Germany
German to Spanish
? Jun 12, 2009

You open a PPT in TagEditor an then you save it as bilingual. Well...

Where is the trick?

You, or someone other, open the file in Tageditor and save it as TTX (bilingual)
where is the avantage?

For me, as translator is irrelevant if I receive a PPT or his TTX, I'll open it in
Tageditor in both case.

Or you know someone that translate in Powerpoint?

It may be faster (0,3 s) for the translator but the time he save is your time making it

Regards

Fernando

[Edited at 2009-06-12 17:20 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:23
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
I don't see the point... Jun 12, 2009

You are telling about a standard Windows feature (dragging files) and a standard TagEditor feature (opening a PPT file), but you are presenting it as some great and never expected miracle only you know.
It is not a tip at all! It is standard. It is what is supposed to be.
Moreover, it IS in the manual! In the Quick Start Guide.
It sounds like 'if you stand on the stool, you'll get taller' (Don't tell anybody! Shhhh...).
Would you be so kind to familiarise yourself with at least a 'survival minimum' (or RTFM), please?

[Редактировалось 2009-06-12 19:26 GMT]

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Agree with Sergei Jun 12, 2009

Susan, I find Sergei's choice of words somewhat questionable, but the point he makes is true: I don't understand the intention of your post. What you describe should be nothing new to anyone who has ever used any simple software program on Windows.

Maybe you're being sarcastic, and I don't get it...

Edited for typos.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-06-12 19:32 GMT]

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:23
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is a tip Jun 13, 2009

In fact, there are two tips.
It is in the manual, and in the quick start guide, sure. But I know many colleagues who have never bothered to read any of them. Not all Trados users are the same, and someone might find Susan's first advise very useful: drag the file directly into TagEditor. In fact, all the colleagues I know usually open the files with File > Open and browing in their PCs.

But the most useful tip provided by Susan here that the ttx file can be opened with the notepad in order to change the languages from there.

Thank you Susan. I'm sure someone will find your tips very useful.

Have a nice weekend

Clarisa

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for the tip! Jun 13, 2009

The usefulness of this approach is not so clear unless you are involved in multilingual projects.

You can create a single TTX file and send it to each translator to translate into their languages.

This way you save some time. The TTX is created once and not twenty times.

You make sure that the TTX is created with the correct settings (if 20 people have to do the same thing, it is just statistically possible that one of them makes mistake).

Daniel

PS. Edited to add that Synergy makes this procedure even easier, I think, but I don't use it (we are on Trados 7.1).

[Edited at 2009-06-13 07:56 GMT]

Germany
German to Spanish
But, but Jun 13, 2009

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

drag the file directly into TagEditor. In fact, all the colleagues I know usually open the files with File > Open and browing in their PCs.

It is the same! You can right click the file and "Open" it too, this is faster, you don't need the mouse.

But the most useful tip provided by Susan here that the ttx file can be opened with the notepad in order to change the languages from there.

But, if you do it yourself, the TTX automatically will have the same languages as your TM, you don't need to change anything, so I am maybe wasting my time if I receive a TTX already "made" instead of the original.

Anyway, a professional should knows this kind of editors and there are better choices as Notepad.

Regards

Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:23
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Drag directly from a zip file for a quick analysis Jun 13, 2009

While we are mentioning tips about dragging and dropping:
If you receive a zip file with hundreds of files in a complex file structure, it is useful to know that you can open the zip file and drag and drop all of the files into the analysis box to run a quick analysis directly.
No need to unpack the files and select them folder by folder.

Ulf

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 11:23
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Thanks for posting, Susan Jun 13, 2009

This will be very useful - both the drag-and-drop part and the bit about changing the language code.
I will save this.
Thank you,
Sandra

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:23
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, they should. Jun 14, 2009

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Anyway, a professional should knows this kind of editors and there are better choices as Notepad.

Regards

Absolutely! But not all professionals know about that... and they might be very good translators.

Germany
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apparently not simple to everyone... Jun 14, 2009

Why I posted this: it also seemed simple to me, until I found out that quite a few (indeed very good) translators use a roundabout to create at ttx, or had trouble with the language settings. They were very happy with the tip, so I thought I'd share.

RTFM: people usually read the manual if they need to solve a problem. But creating a ttx is not a problem, it's just that it can be done a bit faster. If you don't know something exists, you don't go looking for it. But then if you stumble upon it, it can suddenly prove useful.

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:23
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Quite useful tips actually Jun 14, 2009

Fernando Toledo wrote:
But, if you do it yourself, the TTX automatically will have the same languages as your TM, you don't need to change anything, so I am maybe wasting my time if I receive a TTX already "made" instead of the original.

Fernando, I think you missed the point here. Many people do *not* create the TTX files themselves; some clients insist on performing that step, and some of these send TTX files with the languages set wrong. I have had to respond to "help calls" for this problem often enough that I can confirm the usefulness of Susan's tip, regardless of whether you or I need that information.

The dragging & dropping is, of course, "obvious" to those of us familiar with the ins and outs of GUIs, but I still encounter people with the same high-level awareness of computer technology as a secretary I once trained who kept referring to her PC as a "Word Perfect Computer" because she thought its sole reason for existing was to run Word Perfect for her. A kind hint to such people now and then is not amiss, and I am careful about statements like "... a professional should...." Ours is a very diverse profession with many approaches, some perhaps better than others for particular situations, but in the end we'll all live happier with a bit more light-hearted tolerance even of things we might consider incredibly stupid.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TTX & Notepad Jun 14, 2009

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Try to search this forum for TTX Notepad and see the number of hits. TTX is in fact XML and as any XML it can be opened in Notepad. This has been common knowledge for quite some time.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Small tip to create TTX files

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search