Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:07
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2009

Am I the only one getting the error message "Not enough RAM" when trying to add another termbase to the project in Studio 2009?

How much RAM is needed, then? I do have 3 GB. How much is necessary for Studio?

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Hardware limits... DB size... Jun 12, 2009

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Am I the only one getting the error message "Not enough RAM" when trying to add another termbase to the project in Studio 2009?

How much RAM is needed, then? I do have 3 GB. How much is necessary for Studio?

Ehm.
It's a bad question.
The good question is how much RAM is necessary to your project.

I suppose you have a 32-bit Windows, in fact, you're out of ressources.
Theorically, you can increase your RAM up to 4 GB but in most cases you'll be able to use only 3 to 3.5 GB, depending of your hardware (my IBM/Lenovo notebook adresses only 3 GB, most PC see 3.25, the desktop of my wife sees 3.5 GB, only my Fujitsu-Siemens servers are able to adress almost 3.9 GB).

So, consider it's a Multiterm bug.

Cheers
GG

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So Studio is simply too demanding on RAM? Jun 12, 2009

I have 2 RAM slots that will take 2048 MB each, but one only contains 1024 MB at the moment. Does that not mean I could arrange to have over 4 GB?

No, I do not have 32 bits; I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+, but a test this evening shows that there is something severely wrong with the RAM. Since I installed Studio it takes 1.37 GB RAM just to switch the computer on and open up the browser once, without even opening Outlook, let alone anything else, so I guess it is not surprising.

Astrid

French to Polish
+ ...
Notebook? Jun 12, 2009

I have 2 RAM slots that will take 2048 MB each, but one only contains 1024 MB at the moment. Does that not mean I could arrange to have over 4 GB?

You have a notebook?
Practically impossible now.
Few notebooks can address more than 4 GB RAM and AFAIK it's almost impossible to find 4GB RAM SO-DIMM modules on the market.
At least, for a correct price.

No, I do not have 32 bits; I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+,

You may have a 64-bit processor but if your OS is only 32-bit, you can address only 4 GB (theorically).
Sorry.

but a test this evening shows that there is something severely wrong with the RAM. Since I installed Studio it takes 1.37 GB RAM just to switch the computer on and open up the browser once, without even opening Outlook, let alone anything else, so I guess it is not surprising.

Without Studio, my Vista notebook eats 1.6 GB on start up.
3 SQL servers and a lot of "useful" shit I can't uninstall without possible serious configuration problems.
But my test machine don't seem to be affected by Studio, unlike the machines with Synergy 2007 helper megashit loaded at start up.

Cheers
GG

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
matching pairs Jun 13, 2009

I have 2 RAM slots that will take 2048 MB each, but one only contains 1024 MB at the moment.

Astrid

This should generally be avoided. You should try and buy matching pairs for best performance.

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:07
German to English
+ ...
Get an independent opinion Jun 13, 2009

Lutz Molderings (MSc, BSc) wrote:

I have 2 RAM slots that will take 2048 MB each, but one only contains 1024 MB at the moment.

Astrid

This should generally be avoided. You should try and buy matching pairs for best performance.

Lutz is right. To get an exact evaluation, run the scan here: http://www.crucial.com/eu/

It will tell you what you have (down to your computer make, model and spec., what your RAM upgrade options are and what must be avoided (shows in red). Put in too much and you'll fry everything.

For example in my case last week, in order to go to max RAM, I bought two matching singles and trashed the previous single card. Worked a treat, and newer types of RAM are much cheaper these days.

Hope this helps with the issue, ominous though it sounds from what Grzegorz says about a Multiterm bug.

Cheers
Chris

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Jun 13, 2009

Astrid

I did not know that there should be the same amount of RAM in each slot.

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I ran your scanner, Chris Jun 13, 2009

However, it did not come to any conclusions. Said there was no exact match for what I have, and confirmed what I already know, i.e. how much RAM is in each slot.

Thanks anyway.

Astrid

French to Polish
+ ...
2+1 > 2x1 :) Jun 13, 2009

I did not know that there should be the same amount of RAM in each slot.

It's not mandatory but when the RAM modules are'nt identical and paired, it affects the performance (the memory access is slower).
Although except some very special cases, it's always better to have 2+1 GB than 2x1 GBicon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG

Hellmut Kohlsdorf  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
The findings of a happy adopter of Studio 2009 Jun 13, 2009

I have installed Studio 2009 just within hours after the webinar took place and to my big surprise everything went fine! But...

I have used Studio 2009 for translating a real project for which I hoped to gain more efficiency by using Studio 2009. I was not disappointed, Studio 2009, its new editor, which resembles the one out of sdlx, is a dream and I had a very steep learning curve even as I switched from working with the TagEditor and the workbench!

Yes, Studio 2009 crashes at least once or twice within every hour working on it. Due to my professional background it looks to me that Studio 2009 has a major issue of managing the memory and this is the reason for its crashes!

By the way SDL should put the dollars on the table to solve the license restrictions that according to the feedback I have received from TechSupp are the reason why Studio 2009 cannot be used withion a 64bit operating system!

Why did I stick with Studio 2009 on this time critical project after having met some issues? My efficiency was much bigger than that using 2007 Suite, partly due to the clearer screen of the editor compared to the Tag Editor, and part due to its orthography verification. I had a much better confidence of the output resulting in much shorter review after closing. I do nevertheless find it disappointing that it did not take the "default" Grammar and Orthography tool, as set within MSWord, which is the MS Multilanguage Pack on my system. This did work within the TagEditor.

The other reason is the key combination +:
I just used this key combination to save my work every two segments, which executed within the time for glimps of my eyes and I let Studio save the segments before verification. So did Studio 2009 crash, I restarted Studio 2009, which happens very fast, and I was back were my last save took place, but plus the segments saved until the crash. So the loss of time was really minor.

The second issue I found, one of the reasons I assume it is a memory management problem of Studio 2009, that at a random time I suddenly was unable to copy and paste. Restarting Studio 2009 fixed this problem until it repeated, may be once every two hours.

At some point I found that the problem with copy and paste did not fix itself restarting Studio 2009, so I did restart the XP Pro and everything was fine again. Due to this I decided to restart my computer during my major breaks, like the 3 meals a day to make sure Studio 2009 started to mess around with the memory from a clean environment.

What I did find disappointing was that I could not use the AutoSuggest feature, as it demands to have a TM with at least 25,000 entries. As I have to work with specific TMs for the end customer of each project, none of my TMs has that size. As soon as I find a spare minute I will try to merge some to reach the magical number, but I am worried about mixing up customer specific terminology.

I was disappointed of this, as I can expect another dramatic increase of my efficiency as AutoSuggest. It seems to overcome an important weakness of the fuzzy match function. Those one to 3 word expressions that repeat themselves over and over again and which the TM does not catch, even with me setting the match rate to 50%!

Finally another feature, the real time preview of the target document only works with Word documents! This fact was successfully hidden during the webinar and is a short come that SDL will hopefully put a lot of effort into it to fix. My final review of my translations involves identifying and fixing the weaknesses of my translation left due to the "segmented view" that the segment oriented workflow of the tool imposes. A good translation needs to consider the logical structure of paragraphs and not just segments/ sentences. This is especially evident when translating i.e. PowerPoint presentations. Often two segments belong together but are separated within the list of segments due to the layout of the foil. Similar problems result from the fact that a translated text might not fit into a layout and is split by the formatting. A preview in real time would help dramatically to catch these issues and solve them during the first path!

Just this feature alone would justify to upgrade my system to have to 22" LCD displays attacheed to it.

What I have not been able to verify yet, is the improved integration of Passolo 2009 into Studio 2009. According to the Passolo team this will not take place before some months have past after the release of Studio 2009!

In summary I have to say that I had a nightmare never really solved when I upgraded to 2007 Suite and that in comparison the upgrade to Studio 2009 had no fatal implications and that I could find myself easy work around.
I do believe SDL has made a major step forward with this release and I hope this will not result in further accelerating the drop of rates we can collect for our service, but in a recuperation of a part of our lost revenues!

[Bearbeitet am 2009-06-13 13:13 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message: "Not enough RAM" as a reason for Studio malfunctioning

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search