Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados 2009 - licencing upgrade problem
Thread poster: Paul Godfrey

Paul Godfrey
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:55
French to English
Jun 12, 2009

I am having problems upgrading from Trados 2007 suite Freelance to Trados 2009. The problem is in returning the old licence in order to obtain the new 2009 licence. Licence manager thinks it has returned the licence, the Translationzone web site under "My Licences" begs to differ and persistently displays 1 licence in use and 1 available, so effectively blocking me from the upgrade.
I have been through the tortuous SDL "support" process, "chatted" to support assistants, been assured on 3 occasions that the problem has been solved, but still no success.
Before SDL took over, you could send e-mails and submit attachments and generally I found the support process must more helpful.
But now it seems we are faced with a monolith without any say or redress - you have to pay for a maintenance agreement to presumably get the treatment that we, as paying consumers, should have by right.
Where do I go from here? - I have work to do, I can't spend hours just trying to upgrade a product I have paid for - no other software is as difficult.
I shall try to get a refund for the £106 I have paid for the upgrade but I'm not very hopeful. I shall presumably need to look around for a Trados-compatible alternative in the future since I'm now blocked from upgrading - and this after being a regular customer since 2002.
I'd be interested to hear others points of view or even ways of cracking this problem!

Valerie35 (X)
Local time: 03:55
German to English
Same idea here Jun 12, 2009

I haven't tried to get a refund - I doubt that once they have my money they are going to give it back.

But that's the last penny they will get out of me. I've already switched over to a different CAT tool and have not even bothered to activate 2009 Studio.

Valerie35 (X)
German to English
Just to add ... Jun 13, 2009

I also went through several hours of trying to activate on my own, then talking to a service representative, then realizing that she just wasn't reading what I was writing, she was giving me canned phrases back.

I didn't want to feel like I was totally swindled out of my money - that I could maybe use 2009 Studio in some way down the road if I could activate it - but I eventually realized the time wasn't worth it any more.

Really sickening.

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
Common problem Jun 13, 2009

A lot of us have had this!. There are a few complicated threads about it. Assuming you don't have a support contract, start here:
http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/_index1.aspx?tab=opt4&r=0.4870467

Work through the questions to notify SDL of the problem and they will get back to you.
Gillian

Paul Godfrey
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 13, 2009

Thanks for your support "Valberlin" and Gillian. I will try the link Gillian has suggested but like Valberlin I shall start looking for another CAT tool which the agencies will accept as being a reasonable substitute for Trados (able to produce compatible TMs etc.). Does anybody know of such a tool? What's Wordfast like these days?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Flash demo Jun 13, 2009

Hi Paul,
You may want to have a look at the Flash demo published by SDL Trados.

HTH - Ralf

Paul Godfrey
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Did all that Jun 13, 2009

Thanks Ralf. No I've done all that many times over (in desperation I reassigned my licence and released it again using Licencing Manager over and over again). No it looks as if I'll run with T2007 Suite Freelance as long as I can while looking around for alternatives. Like ValBerline said - they're not getting any more of my money!
Kind regards to all
Paul

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:55
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
is it a "replacement"? Jun 13, 2009

Hello Paul,

out of (personal) curiosity, is the license you are trying to upgrade a "replacement"? I've read there are upgrade issues with those replacements (one of my licenses is a replacement, that's why it's also personal curiosity).

I fully agree with you that once we have paid for something we ought to have access to it any time and if we don't we ought to have a pretty client-friendly contact without headaches, as this has nothing to do with "technical problems with the use of the software" (for which I'd be ready to pay for support).

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-06-13 07:36 GMT]

Paul Godfrey
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure Jun 13, 2009

Hello Giuliana. Thanks for your reply. To be perfectly frank, I'm not sure. Over the years I've been upgrading (I started with the prehistoric Trados5) and happily obtaining licences etc. until today. You could be right - how would I know?

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:55
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
xxxxx_replacement Jun 13, 2009

Hello Paul,

you can see it on your "my licenses" page: next to (underneath) the activation code there is a note about the order number

xxxxxx_replacement

(to my horror under these circumstances, I have just checked, my bought upgrade is bound to a replacement)

Giuliana

Paul Godfrey
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not a replacement Jun 13, 2009

Hello Giuliana

No - I just checked, none of my licences have been replacements - obviously an added complication in a confused situation! How can anyone make licencing such a fraught issue?! No other software in my experience is so paranoid!

Kind regards

Paul

Paul Godfrey
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Agree completely Jun 13, 2009

Hello ValBerlin

Yes I fully agree with your second comment above. That was exactly my experience - canned e-mails from canned staff who really don't care

As you say - sickening.

Paul

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:55
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

I agree Jun 13, 2009

Paul Godfrey wrote:
But now it seems we are faced with a monolith without any say or redress - you have to pay for a maintenance agreement to presumably get the treatment that we, as paying consumers, should have by right.

Absolutely. Trados is the only software I own which boasts a combination of:

1. a multitude of bugs, which get seldom fixed, although customers keep complaining about them. There is a reason for that: when you sell buggy software and you does not patch it up, and instead you release new versions where some of the issues actually get addressed (while others are introduced), people will go on buying your new versions just to be able to continue working.
2. user-unfriendly interface to the point it simply defies human logic. I keep asking myself: who are the programmers of this thing, and what is their thinking; how can a simple task be made so difficult?
3. costs an arm and a leg, however you do not get support unless you pay extra (?!);
4. most, if not all patches, if and when they get finally released, are called "upgrades" (instead of patches or updates as they should be). And do you know why? Because patches and updates must be provided free of charge, and if it is an upgrade, then, well, you can still squeeze some more juice out of the same lemon.

SDL are just a greedy, greedy, GREEDY company.

Maurice Devroye
United States
Local time: 21:55
English to French
Humble Response from SDL Jun 13, 2009

Hello Paul and All,

SDL has responded to our comments and feedback. Here is the official announcement:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/49464

Pointing to this policy change in his 142th tool kit newsletter, Jost Zetzsche writes that "... while the new version is superior in many ways to the old, users of the old Trados will have to sit down and learn some new tricks -- and those can be learned on the Trados Studio or one of its competitors... "

I would appreciate some explanation on those "many ways" and "new tricks". I am perfectly happy so far with Trados 2007 (working fine on both my laptop and PC) and I am wondering if the upgrade is worth the $250 SDL is asking for.
Thank you,
Maurice

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 - licencing upgrade problem

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search