How can I get a separate copy of the source text?
Thread poster: Αlban SHPΑTΑ
Αlban SHPΑTΑ
Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Jun 13, 2009

I have already translated a file from source to target. I have arranged for a good proofreader to take a look at it, but unfortunately she doesn't use Trados. Therefore, I need to have a separate copy of the source text for her, but I can't find a way how to do this... Is there a way to get this done? I am sure there should be something... I already have the unclean file and the TM.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Αlban SHPΑTΑ
Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation Jun 13, 2009

Sorry, forgot to mention that I was first provided only with the unclean file of a translation that supposedly needed only proofreading, but found out it was so horrible that it had to be translated from the beginning (that's why I don't have the source file). Now all I have is the unclean file of my work and the TM.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:52
Spanish to English
A couple of suggestions Jun 13, 2009

I'm not a Trados expert, but as far as I know you can reverse the direction of a tm

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/37176-a_revelation_about_trados_tm_how_to_reverse_tm_direction-.html

Then maybe you could retranslate the translated file?

Or then again, you could ask your c
... See more
I'm not a Trados expert, but as far as I know you can reverse the direction of a tm

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/37176-a_revelation_about_trados_tm_how_to_reverse_tm_direction-.html

Then maybe you could retranslate the translated file?

Or then again, you could ask your client to send you the original file.

Good luck
Collapse

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:52
English to Latvian
the best way Jun 13, 2009

Although I have Trados and use it whenever it's appropriate, I must say that one doesn't need the tool for reviewing an unclean file.
This is how I always proceed with unclean files which have to be reviewed:
Simply open the Word file, switch on the Hidden Text option (either pressing the ¶ button or ticking the option Tools > Options > View > Hidden Text [whichever one prefers]) and start reviewing. She will be able to see the original text as a hidden text and will be able to make
... See more
Although I have Trados and use it whenever it's appropriate, I must say that one doesn't need the tool for reviewing an unclean file.
Simply open the Word file, switch on the Hidden Text option (either pressing the ¶ button or ticking the option Tools > Options > View > Hidden Text [whichever one prefers]) and start reviewing. She will be able to see the original text as a hidden text and will be able to make any necessary corrections in the respective translated sentence, one by one. She just has to make sure not to delete any tags or hidden text, but I suppose you can explain this factor to her as you are familiar with Trados.
I hope it helps!

P.S. A small piece of advise: actually, she even MUST switch on the Hidden Text because if she reviews the text without switching it on, she might accidentaly delete tags or even passages of hidden text (simply because she won't see them).

[Edited at 2009-06-13 17:15 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
English to Hungarian
+ ...
the best indeed Jun 13, 2009

Evija Rimšāne wrote:

Simply open the Word file, switch on the Hidden Text option (either pressing the ¶ button or ticking the option Tools > Options > View > Hidden Text [whichever one prefers]) and start reviewing. She will be able to see the original text as a hidden text and will be able to make any necessary corrections in the respective translated sentence, one by one. She just has to make sure not to delete any tags or hidden text, but I suppose you can explain this factor to her as you are familiar with Trados.
I hope it helps!

P.S. A small piece of advise: actually, she even MUST switch on the Hidden Text because if she reviews the text without switching it on, she might accidentaly delete tags or even passages of hidden text (simply because she won't see them).

[Edited at 2009-06-13 17:15 GMT]

I suggest that you don't give the proofreader the original text, just to make sure they don't mess up your bilingual file.
If you're sending a monolingual file for some reason, then perhaps export the TM, create a new, reverse direction TM and import. Now you have a reverse TM you can use to translate (ALT-*) a copy of the cleaned target language document. Clean it up and presto! Source language doc.

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
English to German
+ ...
PlusToyz Jun 14, 2009

Hello,

PlusToyz should do the trick. Try it on a copy of your file. Just click on the link in the Word document. You can download it here:

http://www.geocities.com/avvysotsky/PlusToyz.zi

or here
... See more
Hello,

PlusToyz should do the trick. Try it on a copy of your file. Just click on the link in the Word document. You can download it here:

http://www.geocities.com/avvysotsky/PlusToyz.zi

or here

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AMiiSYUlruwmG3Zu7Vny6QKxV9M_OfUq_YcfMegnbVkT2Zq
98zo4sgMbQU1SSArzFJOjnp_MVUxD7CVa7PeUt0JK2f-qIWNrNXxx61Y5/PlusToyz.zip

Regards

Noe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I get a separate copy of the source text?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »