Getting Started with SDL Trados Studio 2009...
Thread poster: SDL Community

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:15
English
Jun 15, 2009

Hello,

The SDL Support team are holding another Getting Started with SDL Trados Studio 2009 presentation on 16th June at 15:00 BST (GMT +1) which will cover the basics on installing and licensing your new SDL Trados Studio 2009 software. We will also be answering the most common licensing questions mentioned on this forum.

If you would like some more advice on installing and licensing SDL Trados Studio 2009 then please feel free to attend. I understand that some of you were experiencing some sound issues in the last webinar which I would like to apologise for. We have now resolved these issues so please feel free to come again.

If you would like to join this meeting then please visit the following link:

http://lspzone.com/en/news/events/june-09/installing-and-activating-sdl-trados-studio-2009-16-06-09.asp

Please enter your contact information and you will then be sent the details required to join the meeting.

I hope you can attend.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Direct link Reply with quote

Olav Karlsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Thanks for the offer, but... Jun 15, 2009

Thank you for the offer, but after suffering from the aftermath of uninstalling Studio 2009 and reinstalling Trados Freelance 2007 again because of a lot of problems with Multiterm database compatibility and SDL support still not getting it right I have decided not to touch that version again until all the wrinkles have been ironed out. How can CAT software possibly be made this difficult to manage? After having worked with Deja Vu 3 and Deja Vu X for years I hoped for a real Rolls Royce changing to Trados, but alas. I just hope to be able to limp along with the 2007 package if my support engineer can get it back on again.

Jorge Aguilar Juarez  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:15
German to Spanish
webinars Jun 16, 2009

Hi Gareth,

Would it be possible to integrate the registration process into everyone's account at https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/ so I can register directly from it?

Having to enter my info every time I want to register for a webinar is kind of time consuming... besides this way you can avoid some trolls saturating the servers.icon_cool.gif

(except for webinars intended for new customers of course)

cheers,
Jorge

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
There is always something... Jun 16, 2009

Olav Gregers Karlsen wrote:
Thank you for the offer, but after suffering from the aftermath of uninstalling Studio 2009 and reinstalling Trados Freelance 2007 again because of a lot of problems with Multiterm database compatibility and SDL support still not getting it right I have decided not to touch that version again until all the wrinkles have been ironed out.

Indeed every time we install a new version of Trados there is some problem with our previous stuff or something does not quite work as expected (it was the case with Trados 7 and Trados 8). I always have to look for information on something that does not work because you have to install things in a certain order or preparing things in some way but nobody tells you, etc.

I have had a demo of the product and indeed it looks very promising, but we are waiting until we have nothing to do for a couple of days in the team so that we can overcome any problems without affecting our customers.

[Edited at 2009-06-16 03:52 GMT]

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Problems signing up for session Jun 16, 2009

Hi Gareth,

I signed up for last week's webinar on installing Suite 2009 but did not receive the promised email with instructions on how to join the happy band. Again this week, I have had no link despite signing up for this afternoon's session.

Should I take this personally?

Best,

Giles

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Manuals Jun 20, 2009

Where can we find real manuals of the products? The online helps installed with the programm are useless, they're completely unfinished, most pages are blank, it just says "Type topic text here" (that's the whole "Add a Term to SDL MultiTerm" entry, "Type topic text here" and it's the same for most entries).

I have big compatibility issues between Multiterm 8 and Trados 2007, the knowledge base only says that the option wouldn't be available in Synergy anymore, which isn't a problem since I've never used that part of the programm, but I need MultiTerm to work properly with TagEditor.

Where can I find a decent manual of MultiTerm and Studio?

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Getting started <i>with</i> SDL Studio...<i>without</i> the manuals! Jun 21, 2009

Françoise Périgaut wrote:
The online helps installed with the programm are useless, they're completely unfinished, most pages are blank, it just says "Type topic text here"

I hope you're joking: I can't belive the CAT Leader is actually selling its commercial version of the software equipped with "Type topic text here" manuals...

When I deliver a translation before the proofreading stage, I don't tell my client it has been reviewed in order to collect the whole payment: I'm afraid they could sense this, and I would then lose my client...

...Ok, probably I am a very bad entrepreneur! But, I can improve: if Françoise is not joking - and I'm terribly afraid she is not! - I'll pay SDL the half price by means of some genuine banknotes and the other half by means of a cheque with "Drawer sign goes here"!

Honestly, I feel treated like a piggybank at the moment!

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Screenshots Jun 21, 2009

I am not joking! Most entries of my online help in MultiTerm are empty, and no minor topics. I made a few random screenshots and I'm not kidding, all the topics I clicked to make the screenshots were like that.
I use the commercial version, I'm not part of the beta testing programme, this is the application I downloaded last week after having purchased Studio 2009. I have migration and installation manuals for MultiTerm, but I can't find the full manual of the application itself.

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Online help Jun 22, 2009

Apparently other people get a proper online help, I was contacted by somebody from SDL who saw my post and they don't understand why my online help is looking like that. It shouldn't in the commercial version. It does, though.

Edit: They helped me to solve it and I can access the full help now!

[Edited at 2009-06-22 17:31 GMT]

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Easter Egg Jun 22, 2009

Françoise Périgaut wrote:

Apparently other people get a proper online help, I was contacted by somebody from SDL who saw my post and they don't understand why my online help is looking like that. It shouldn't in the commercial version. It does, though.

They helped me to solve it and I can access the full help now!

[Edited at 2009-06-22 17:31 GMT]

This sounds good!
...I'm going to buy my upgrade right now, and I'll see what my Easter Egg containsicon_smile.gif

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Strange indeed Jun 23, 2009

Since my help has a structure completely different from yours in the first place. Françoise, did you use any of the Beta versions in the past?

United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Getting Started Webinar... Jun 23, 2009

Hello,

We are holding two more Getting Started webinars this afternoon, one in English and one in German. If you are interested in attending then please sign up under your preferred language:

English
15:00 to 16:00 BST (GMT+1)
http://lspzone.com/en/news/events/june-09/installing-and-activating-sdl-trados-studio-2009-23-06-09.asp

German
15:00 to 16:00 CEST (GMT+2)
http://www.translationzone.com/de/news/events/june2009/support.asp

Please enter your contact information and you will then be sent the details required to join the meeting.

I hope you can attend.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Michael GREEN  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Is this a forum or a CAT software marketplace? Jun 23, 2009

This topic was started by a promotional message from SDL Support (where did they find THAT name?)

It prompted a dozen or so posts from disgruntled Trados users : the least that could be expected is a response to those comments from the guy who started the topic - it's HIS software, after all! - but all we get for our trouble is ANOTHER promotional message.

Who's kidding who here ?!

[Edited at 2009-06-23 12:09 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Technical, not Promotional, Messaging Jun 23, 2009

Michael GREEN wrote:

This topic was started by a promotional message from SDL Support (where did they find THAT name?)

It prompted a dozen or so posts from disgruntled Trados users : the least that could be expected is a response to those comments from the guy who started the topic - it's HIS software, after all! - but all we get for our trouble is ANOTHER promotional message.

Who's kidding who here ?!

[Edited at 2009-06-23 12:09 GMT]

Hi Michael,

I would like to say that we do try to ensure we do not post promotional material into this forum. In this case the webinar is technical – not promotional – it is designed exclusively and specifically to help people technically get their software installed and activated.

I did see the posts, and I know we resolved the "Help Guide" issue. A more detailed explanation to that problem was that our online version was configured incorrectly on our server. The local version provided with the software was correct, and now the online version is too.

I think the problem Giles mentioned may be more of a one-off that we can't really change as this is probably an internet/email related problem. We have had hundreds of people successfully managing to access the webinars. However, if this is still a problem for anyone I would be very happy to ensure we can provide any missing information in another way, perhaps with a link to the recorded session?

If the posting of details to these educational webinars by the Support Team are causing offense to the users of this forum I will ensure that they are stopped.

Regards

Paul Filkin
SDL Support

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
One-off problem Jun 23, 2009

SDL Support wrote:

I think the problem Giles mentioned may be more of a one-off that we can't really change as this is probably an internet/email related problem.

Hi Paul,

The link to this afternoon's webinar came through this morning, as indeed did all the other webinars I have followed in the past, so it was probably just a one-off glitch.

I hope Michael will bear with me but I would actively encourage all CAT suppliers to post details of *free* training sessions, and to continue to offer *free* troubleshooting advice, in appropriate public forums.

What's not to like?

Giles

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting Started with SDL Trados Studio 2009...

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search