Studio 2009 - Can't do unit conversions like in 2007 Freelance... or can you?
Thread poster: Tapsa

Tapsa
Local time: 15:06
English to Finnish
Jun 16, 2009

In SDL Trados 2007 Freelance you can do unit conversions (imperial/metric) without a calculator. Eg. if there is "6 mile" in source text, you can add "9,66 km" in target text just by clicking the "Get Current Placeable" button.

I can't find the same command in Studio 2009. There is this Quickplace command that only gives me the option to add "6 mi" (no conversion and no metric unit).

I haven't found an option to select imperial to metric or metric to imperial conversion like in Workbench. There is only "Recognize measurements" check box in Translation memory settings dialog box, but that doesn't seem to do conversion.

If SDL has forgotten to include this time saving function in Studio 2009 it is a major drawback for me. It will considerably slow down many of my translation projects, because now I have to do all conversions with a calculator.

Ulf Norlinger  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:06
English to Swedish
+ ...
Add a gadget Jun 17, 2009

If you have Windows Vista you can add a "unit conversion gadget" (On the net [some of them] they are called: 1a) Instant Unit Conversion Gadget (Google), 1b) Unit Converter Gadget).

When you are on it. These are also useful gadgets for translators:
2) Currency gadget (exchange rates get updated often) (Microsoft)
3) Language translator (43 languages) (http://photo-bon.com/en/)
4) Latest used Microsoft Office 2007 documents (Microsoft)
5) Notes (Microsoft)

(They are all free)

[Redigerad 2009-06-17 05:22 GMT]

Tapsa
Local time: 15:06
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Gadgets Jun 17, 2009

Actually, I use my mobile phone's (N97) unit conversion program. But that Unit conversion gadget for Vista sidebar seems a little bit handier as you can use clipboard functions. Thnx for the tip Ulf!

But, in heavy use it's still a litte bit far from the convenience of the conversion function in Freelance 2007 (no need to type/copy numbers, and it formats the number and adds appropriate unit automatically - of course, the source unit must be present in proper format with the source number to have the function work at all).

Tapsa

[quote]Ulf Norlinger wrote:

If you have Windows Vista you can add a "unit conversion gadget" (On the net [some of them] they are called: 1a) Instant Unit Conversion Gadget (Google), 1b) Unit Converter Gadget).

When you are on it. These are also useful gadgets for translators:
2) Currency gadget (exchange rates get updated often) (Microsoft)
3) Language translator (43 languages) (http://photo-bon.com/en/)
4) Latest used Microsoft Office 2007 documents (Microsoft)
5) Notes (Microsoft)

(They are all free)

rad 2009-06-17 05:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 - Can't do unit conversions like in 2007 Freelance... or can you?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search