United Kingdom
Local time: 01:14
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2009

SDL Trados: Version 8.3.0.863, build 863
Problem: Multiterm

I had the java-related issue with Multiterm whereby I could not add/edit terms due to a java incompatibility and the Java.lang.NullPointerException ... error.

1. I deactivated the "enable next generation plug in" option.
= DID NOT WORK

2. I deleted Java versions 6.10, 6.11 and all the other versions recommended by this forum.
= THIS WORKED!

3. A couple of weeks later, it stopped working. When I try to add/edit an entry, upon clicking "save" I get the error message "null". I DO NOT get the error message "Java.lang.NullPointerException". Multiterm then "stops working" and closes down.

I thought perhaps I had accidentally accepted a Java update, but could not see any that had been installed.
a) The "enable next generation" is still unchecked
b) I do not have version 6.10 or 6.11. All i had was 6.14 and 5.10.
c) I tried uninstalling ALL java versions. Upon opening Multiterm it forced me to download Java 2 Runtime Environment v1.4.2_19.

I still get the same error message, only now it also says that there is a program incompatibility, the colour scheme is temporarily changed...

For the love of my hair - which is being ripped out in chunks as I write - can anyone help!

Wendy

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:14
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You MUST have JRE 1.5 update 10 and 12 Jun 17, 2009

Without this Java versions nothing will work properly.
Please install those versions, then register Trados and register Multiterm (using a program with "selfregister" in its name, located in the installation directory of Multiterm).

BTW, the deactivating "use next generation plugin" option (for Java 6) should really be sufficient. If it wasn't and only the deinstallation helped, there is something different on your PC, what makes trouble. Do you use Internet Explorer 8?

PS
Leave your beautiful hair on you head, there must be a different solution for this problemicon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2009-06-17 09:28 GMT]

Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Installing specific Java versions Jun 17, 2009

Hi Jerzy,

I have Internet Explorer 7.

If i go to the Java site it offers me version 6.14. Where can i go to find JRE 1.5 update 10 and 12?

//scratch that - i've just seen the link on the java website.

[Edited at 2009-06-17 09:30 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You have them in the folders, where you unzipped Trados Jun 17, 2009

When you install Trados, the software is per default unzipped in your TEMP directory. Unfortunately I do not know Vista, but you certailny will be able to locate those files:
jre-1_5_0_10-windows-i586-p.exe (used for Trados Workbench)
jre-1_5_0_12-windows-i586-p.exe (used for Multiterm)

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
update Jun 17, 2009

I have reinstalled java 5.10 and 5.12 (for other readers: I downloaded them from the java website, since I had not seen Jerzy's advice).

I now have the following Java versions installed:

J2SE 5.10
J2SE 5.12
Java 2 Runtime Environment v1.4.2_19.

I hate to say it but.... the problem with Multiterm is still there. Namely: "null" error message when trying to save changes, followed by Multiterm closing itself down.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you please try to register Multiterm? Jun 17, 2009

Go to Multiterm program folder. You'll find there a small program (a *.bat file) with "self register" in its name. Please double click on it and let it run.

Do you know how to modify registry in Windows?

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
self registering Jun 17, 2009

Sorry, i had overlooked that step.

I have two batch files with "self register":
#_selfregister_not_silent_desktop.bat
#_selfregister_desktop.bat

I have modified the Registry before, but only following explicit instructions on these Forums.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use "#_selfregister_desktop.bat" Jun 17, 2009

Should that not help, we will try to modify the registry and start over again.
After registering MT please restart your PC.

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
next Jun 17, 2009

I ran the .bat file - which was too quick for me to see what messages it was giving. I have restarted the computer but the problem with Multiterm persists.

In the meantime - thank you for taking the time to help me with this, Jerzy, it is greatly appreciated.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please close all applications Jun 17, 2009

Run the "regedit" function (in Win XP this means go to Start, chose Run, type "regedit" and press Enter). In Vista it may differ.
After the registry editor opens, open the tree for "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" (this is from WinXP, but I strongly hope Vista is at least similar).
Then open the "Software". Locate the keys for SDL International and Trados. Open them and check, where you find entries for "MultiTerm". When you find such entry, right click on it and chose "Rename". Insert an underliner in front of its original name, ie change "MultiTerm" to "_MultiTerm". Do not DELETE those entries. Changing their name is safe, as you can rename them again, if something goes wrong.
Repeat the same procedure for the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".
Restart your PC.
If Multiterm works now, everything is fine. If not, try again to register it.
If this still does not help, do a repair installation of Multiterm (from Control Panel - Software).
If all this does not help, so I'm afraid that was everything I could think of - you will then need to contact SDL support.

Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
dot file? Jun 17, 2009

Just a thought - the null message (without Java) often rings the 'dot file' alarm bell. Have you tried removing MultiTerm7dot from c/users/your name/app data/roaming/trados/multiterm?

(I also had the other Java null message, which I also resolved by doing what you initially did, i.e. removing all Java programmes and allowing MT to install the Java program it felt most comfortable with°.

K

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
file or folder Jun 17, 2009

Should I rename the folder "Multiterm" (in the left-hand folder list) or should I be trying to find a file/key called "multiterm" and rename that (in the right-hand file view screen)?

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Katherine Jun 17, 2009

I just tried removing multiterm7dot (an .xml file), but it hasn't helped.

icon_frown.gif

[Edited at 2009-06-17 11:20 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In the left pane Jun 17, 2009

So you rename the whole "key", not its entries.

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grrrrr Jun 17, 2009

I have renamed the two keys and rebooted.

When i try to open Multiterm, it asks for a username and password, trying to log me on to a remote server. I only use local servers and therefore I am not aware of having any username or password. i can't see how to get past this problem in order to check whether the other problem has resolved!

I presume because i have renamed things, it cannot find my local termbases (Workbench term recognition and Word cannot find them either).

[Edited at 2009-06-17 11:32 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm, java, same-old problem on a new background

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search