Studio 2009 - Excel 2003 vs 2007
Thread poster: Stefan Keller

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:04
English to German
Jun 19, 2009

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to make Studio 2009 accept XLS files (Excel 2003 format) without having installed MS Office 2003?
I have only Office 2007 on my machine, and for some reason, Word files work fine (both doc and docx), but Excel files don't. When trying to open an XLS file in Studio, I receive an error saying that I don't have Office 2003 installed (which is correct) and therefore cannot process XLS files.
Is this a bug or a feature? After all, Excel 2007 does perfectly handle files created in Excel 2003, so why would I have to install Office 2003 just to translate them in Studio?

Puzzled regards,
Stefan

Jorge Aguilar Juarez  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:04
German to Spanish
from online help Jun 19, 2009

"NOTE

To process Microsoft Excel 2000-2003 files, you need Microsoft Excel 2003 installed on your computer.

If you have Excel 2007, but not Excel 2003, installed on your computer, open the Excel 2003 file in Excel 2007, save the file in Excel 2007 format and translate the saved file."

ed

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:04
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Well, yes, but ... Jun 19, 2009

Jorge Aguilar Juarez wrote:

"NOTE

To process Microsoft Excel 2000-2003 files, you need Microsoft Excel 2003 installed on your computer.

If you have Excel 2007, but not Excel 2003, installed on your computer, open the Excel 2003 file in Excel 2007, save the file in Excel 2007 format and translate the saved file."

ed

Of course, this is the workaround I used. But still I don't understand why this is the case.

Ok, thanks for directing me at the online help. So it *is* a feature thenicon_frown.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 - Excel 2003 vs 2007

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search