Thread poster: anelape

anelape
Argentina
Local time: 14:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2009

Hi everyone;
I need to know if there´s a way to print the glossary after completing a translation . Can I open the TM and get the words from there?
Thanks in advance
Annie

ymmt
English to Japanese
+ ...
my idea Jun 20, 2009

Hi Annie:

I know if you want to get the whole translate file you can get it by the workbench.
You can find 'Export' from the file menu. The exported file is txt file.

And I also know you can use the extract function from multiterm. Because the extract function must be instralled by yourself, and must be setted. I didn't use the function.
You can try if you are interested in it.

Wait for your good news!

-yamamototky

[修改时间: 2009-06-20 01:07 GMT]

Birgit Holst  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
You can make an export of your TM Jun 20, 2009

By going to the Files menu in Translators Workbench - choose Export - and Save the export as a txt file.
This way you can open it up and print it out

FarkasAndras
Local time: 19:56
English to Hungarian
+ ...
glossary, TM Jun 20, 2009

First, decide what you want to do and describe it in a meaningful way.
Do you want to print an existing Multiterm glossary? Do you want to create a new glossary? Do you actually want to print the TM (doubtful)?

I suspect you want to create and print a glossary, in which case it's obvious that the first step is going to be the tougher one... Assuming a Word file as the source, I'd probably use the bilingual text and either copy-paste into a spreadsheet or upload into a Multiterm termbase right from the Word doc. If the source is not convenient to handle, just do the export like Birgit Holst suggested.

anelape
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TRADOS; retrieving a glossary. Jun 20, 2009

Thank you very much for the answers. As a matter of fact, I was able to export the TM and save it as a txt file - so far everything ok - but I couldn´t figure out how to print it from there. Is there a way to copy paste it? Maybe with the keyboard?
Thanks again.

FarkasAndras
Local time: 19:56
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TM is is then Jun 20, 2009

No idea why you called it a glossary... Glossaries have pairs of terms, TMs have pairs of translation units (usually sentences)... if you mix them up, we don't get what you meant to say.

Anyway, if you have a txt export and you want to print it you can do so right from Notepad. Or you can copy it wherever you want to. Ctrl-a to select all, Ctrl-c to copy, switch to MS Word or whatever software you wish to use and Ctrl-v to paste. These shortcuts work systemwide; they are the most often used shortcuts along with alt-tab and alt-F4... I can't believe this is news to you.

Birgit Holst  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
Print Jun 21, 2009

When you have a txt file it always opens in Notepad or Wordpad. You can easily print it out from any of these programs by:

1. Go to the Files menu
2. Choose Print

But you should be aware of the size of the TM txt file. It can contain hundreds of pages.

You can also mark what you want to print out and choose print Marking or Actual page.

But as others here write, I'm not sure that you'll be satisfied with this solution.

Do you know that if you export a TM from a file, you can import the TM in another TM, or in a new TM.
This can be useful if you translate a text with similar content to another text you previously translated.

anelape
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glossaries - Termbases Jun 21, 2009

Dear Birgit;
Your answer was very useful. Together with some other ideas I could finally learn the process of creating and retrieving glossaries and feeding termbases in Multiterm. Now I just need more practice.
Thanks a lot!
Annie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Retrieving a glossary

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search