https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/138137-studio_2009_error_exception_has_been_thrown_by_the_target_of_an_invocation.html

Studio 2009 Error: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
Thread poster: Transdiction (X)
Transdiction (X)
Transdiction (X)
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 20, 2009

If I didn't know what the context was (alas, many hours of staring at side-by-side Editor View) I would think this was a particularly inventive haiku. Or a poignantly existential Zen koan.

Unfortunately it comes up every time I click on a particular target segment. I've been able to translate the row, save it and move on, but the error dialogue window pops up with a ding every time I go back to the segment. And others as well.

Does anyone know if this error is fatal or
... See more
If I didn't know what the context was (alas, many hours of staring at side-by-side Editor View) I would think this was a particularly inventive haiku. Or a poignantly existential Zen koan.

Unfortunately it comes up every time I click on a particular target segment. I've been able to translate the row, save it and move on, but the error dialogue window pops up with a ding every time I go back to the segment. And others as well.

Does anyone know if this error is fatal or just annoying? Will it cause problems in generating the target document?

WHAT THE HECK DOES IT MEAN?

Thanks anyone out there.
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:02
English to Polish
+ ...
Well... Jun 20, 2009

Zakiya Hanafi wrote:

The target of the invocation did not like the prayer and rejected it

I'm sorry, I know it doesn't help at all, but I just couldn't resist it.

Regards

Piotr

Transdiction (X)
Transdiction (X)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-D Jun 21, 2009

he he he...

Maybe SDL should consider hiring a few poets to spice up their error messages in a more systematic way. Or add a random semantic generator to make translators' lives more Dada-istically surreal when things go wrong with their software..(as if our lives weren't already randomly surreal enough...)

No, it didn't help, but thanks for the smile, Piotr!

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
I think that ,,, Jun 21, 2009

An application refused to answer a SDL request
may be that a security option of this application prevents the application itself to follow a SDL order?
it should be useful to analize a SDL studio error log, if available

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2009-06-21 20:03 GMT]

Transdiction (X)
Transdiction (X)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Possibility: an application refuses to respond to an SDL request Jun 22, 2009

Hmmm....this is a Word document I'm working on. Thanks for your suggestion, Claudio. Have you received this error message? I'll take a look at the error log.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
invocation Jun 22, 2009

Zakiya Hanafi wrote:

Hmmm....this is a Word document I'm working on. Thanks for your suggestion, Claudio. Have you received this error message? I'll take a look at the error log.

no, as I still remains cautiously on SDL Trados 2007 .....
;-D
but I found this type of mistake with many other applications and when you are so lucky to have a readable error log, sometimes you can find the culprit

BTW, I think to remember something about MS Word Macro protection level ....
if you have a good and updated antivirus, you can lower this level to Low (the lowest level) and see if it works then

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2009-06-22 23:51 GMT]

Transdiction (X)
Transdiction (X)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This error comes up in every row that is in a footnote Jun 23, 2009

I've now realized that this error repeats consistently and reliably (!!!) whenever I put the cursor in a row of text with an "FN" document structure.

I've tried to tweak the macro security settings in Word 2007, as you suggested Claudio, but when I go under "Word Options"-->Trust Center, as instructed in the Help files, these are no "Disable/Enable macro settings" as they say there should be. So I'm stuck.

I also tried looking at the log, but I couldn't understand a th
... See more
I've now realized that this error repeats consistently and reliably (!!!) whenever I put the cursor in a row of text with an "FN" document structure.

I've tried to tweak the macro security settings in Word 2007, as you suggested Claudio, but when I go under "Word Options"-->Trust Center, as instructed in the Help files, these are no "Disable/Enable macro settings" as they say there should be. So I'm stuck.

I also tried looking at the log, but I couldn't understand a thing. I really don't know what I'm looking for, and frankly, I would rather spend my time doing what I'm good at (translating) and leave these things to the folks who are supposed to be good at their job (developing functional software).

The more I use SDL Trados Studio 2009 the more I get the impression that it was released without adequate testing and that you and I are doing the testing for the company, without being compensated.

Final note: to get support, I would have to pay 199 USD for an annual PMSA. It's really galling considering all that I've spent in upgrades over the past three years...

Collapse

Transdiction (X)
Transdiction (X)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Red herring, sorry Jun 23, 2009

The error now comes up in every single segment...regardless of the document structure.

Sigh.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
studio 2009 Jun 24, 2009

at least, with Trados 2007, one had the option to use Tageditor and/or SDLX, but now?
;-D

anyway, rumormongers say that Studio 2009 is a crippled Trados 2007 (without Tageditor and SDLX), released helter-skelter to thwart the forthcoming release of another rival CAT ...
if it's true it should explain a lot of things ....

Claudio

P.S. AARGH! Office 2007! I bought it, installed, used for a month, then uninstalled unremorseful

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 Error: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »