Proofreading in TagEditor
Thread poster: Papillonbleu9

Papillonbleu9  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:51
English to French
Jun 21, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I need to proofread .ttx files in TagEditor , with workbench open (for the TM provided by the outsourcer).

I have 3 questions: (Please don't refer back to the manual, I need practical answers)

1- How do I update the provided TM with my corrections as I go?
2- How do I see my corrections in TagEditor?
3- How do I use the spell-check function? (It's grayed out).

Thanks for any help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Open each segment individually Jun 21, 2009

With Workbench running, you need to open the segments that need correction. Closing the segment will update both the segment and the TM. Under "Tools" select the spell checker to be used. You can also select various options to check the spelling as you close each segment and/or to run the spell check when you save the file.

Irene Koukia  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:51
Member (2008)
German to Greek
+ ...
Same questions from my side! Jun 21, 2009

Good morning from Athens,

I have the same questions, since spell checker does not work with Tag Editor.

Concerning TM update, I think it is automatically done when you clean the document with TW.

Thank you & have a nice day,
Irene

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
One method Jun 21, 2009

Copy and past the whole ttx file in Word. Correct your file but implement any changes in the ttx file instead of the Word file. This way you can see everything and use the spell checker. Update your memory when you finish by selecting Translate in the Workbench and Update TM (deselect Segment unknown sentences).

Irene Koukia  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:51
Member (2008)
German to Greek
+ ...
thank you! Jun 21, 2009

Thank you very much, it should helpicon_smile.gif

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:51
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Working with TagEditor Jun 21, 2009

You can work wit TE in two ways:
The simple one is to read the text, open a segment wchich needs correction exactly in the same way, as would you translate it, apply the correction and close the semgent. This way both TM and your document do have the final status. A cleanup (this name is wrong, when it comes to ttx files - it should read "finalize translation" or better "update the TM") is NOT necessary at all. After you're ready with the proofreading save target document with File -> Save target as... and you're done.

Second possibility: switch document protection off. Read the text and apply corrections WITHOUT opening the segments. You can also use Search&Replace. This way you will be faster. After you've done the proofreading, save the TTX file. Save target file as above. Close TE. In your project folder create a new folder, called for example "TM update". COPY the corrected TTX to this folder. In Workbench chose the cleanup function and use this copy of TTX to update TM. This way you can avoid overwriting the original file in your project folder.

For both proofing methods: use QA tools, which are offered in Tageditor.

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Spell Checker Jun 21, 2009

In the Tag Editor menu, click Tools > Plugin and check Spell Checkers. Choose one of the spell checker available (I have WTree e Word). Click OK. Sometimes my spell checker get stuck even if selected; in this case select a different spell checker and re-select the former, it should go back to normal status.

Hope this helps
Gianni

Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
That's what I do, too Jun 21, 2009

Marijke Singer wrote:

Copy and past the whole ttx file in Word. Correct your file but implement any changes in the ttx file instead of the Word file. This way you can see everything and use the spell checker. Update your memory when you finish by selecting Translate in the Workbench and Update TM (deselect Segment unknown sentences).

I find proofreeding in TagEditor awfully laborious and not very clear. I prefer working in Word. So I usually copy the text into Word, try to delete most of the tags (search & replace) and have a better view of my text. The Word spell & grammar checker usually points out mistakes I didn't see in TagEditor. I need to apply my changes in TagEditor, however.

Armando Tavano  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Member (2006)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Changes control Jun 21, 2009

When you have finished your proof reading select and copy the whole text of the final ttx and past it in a blank word document. Do the same thing with the content of the original ttx, save both files, go to tools and compare both documents. You'll see exactly the changes you made to the original document and the exactly localisation of the segments that have been changed.

Papillonbleu9  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
A big Thank you! Jun 21, 2009

Thank you all for the detailed answers. I appreciate every single one of them. I too prefer word to do the proofreading.....

Thanks Elke for suggesting to delete all the tags. I had previously pasted the document to word and it just looked like a big mess:) but now I know that I can (duh) just delete those ugly tags..

Gianni, thanks for suggesting how to get to the spell-checker on the TE menu.

Even if I didn't mention your name, dear colleagues, please know that you really helped me greatly and that I am for ever grateful. I know it takes special caring people to take the time to reply to these questions, and you are these special awesome people.

Have a good-weekend everyone or maybe a good week wherever you are!

Tomasz Swiderski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2011)
Spanish to Polish
+ ...
TRADOSStagger viewer Jun 24, 2009

1) Open the TTX files.
2) Select "TRADOSStagger viewer " plug in from the plug in list.
3) Click on "Properties" and choose "Table view" from the "Stylesheet" menu and confirm.
4) Click on "Preview" and you will see the source and target segments in a new window.

Now you can see source and target text and compare it easily. On this basis you might introduce changes in TagEditor manually.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading in TagEditor

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search