how to open unclean files in Word?
Thread poster: kamyczeczek

kamyczeczek
Local time: 13:28
English to Polish
Jun 23, 2009

Hi everybody,

I've never had to proofread unclean files so I'd like to get some information on how to open unclean files in Word.
Basically, I received two folders from the agency; one with clean files in Word and the second one with unclean files in Word. When I open any of the unclean files they look exactly the same as the clean ones.I understand they should differ, shouldn't they?
I will appreciate any responses.

Thanks in advance,

Kamila

Direct link Reply with quote

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
Local time: 09:28
English to Spanish
Use Translator's Workbench Jun 23, 2009

Hi Kamila,

The only difference between clean and unclean files is that clean files don't contain the source text. In unclean files the source text is saved as hidden text. That's why the unclean files look exactly the same as the clean ones. If you want to have a look at the original text in unclean files, you have to turn on the Show Hidden Characters function in the Edit menu.

If the files were translated in Trados, you have to open them in Word and run Translator's Workbench at the same time to have access to the original segments.

Hope it helps. Good luck

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
display hidden text Jun 23, 2009

For the unclean files, you need to display hidden text. It's the toolbar icon that looks like a backwards paragraph mark, or you can use the shortcut Ctrl + comma + s

Does the agency expect you to edit the clean files, or the unclean files? If the latter, be extremely cautious with the purple delimiters, they should not be modified in any way.

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Word and Display Hidden Text Jun 23, 2009

This is how I do it, or used to do it, all the time. To me it is too cumbersome to use TWB for this task. Actually, I currently do not display the source unless I need to ascertain the accuracy of the translation as dictated by my experience and my gut feeling. And so far I have never ever deleted a tag (those purple delimiters Lori mentioned). After finishing proofreading and making changes, if your client did not send you a TM, return the unclean document so they can update their TM.

Some other times clients send me clean and unclean files and ask me to activate the track changes feature to do the proofreading. That way, they can compare the proofread file with the clean file they received from the translator.

kamyczeczek
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
It all works fine now Jun 23, 2009

wow you guys have been so helpful! it all works fine so thank you!
it's the first time I've used the forum and I must say it works extremely efficient!
I am impressed!

Thanks again everybody,

Kamila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to open unclean files in Word?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search