Urgent about cleaning uo word file in Trados
Thread poster: Katarina Andersson

Katarina Andersson  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:29
Member (2006)
Italian to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 24, 2009

Am new to this Trados thing and so far do not like the tool at all, now I have a stupid question...but having translated in Word using the Translator's Workbench for TM, how do I clean up the word file afterwards. Have nor found any info about how to clean up the file!

Katarina.

Butinge  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:29
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
How to clean files Jun 24, 2009

On workbench there is TOOLS, click on it, you'll see CLEAN UP, click on it and then you'll get CLEAN UP FILES. Click on ADD and select the file you need to clean and press open. Then click on CLEAN UP.
I hope it helps.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Tools > Cleanup... Jun 24, 2009

Hello Katarina,

I am a little bit surprised that you have a somehow formed opinion about a tool without having, as it seems, read about some of its most basic functionsicon_wink.gif

However, all you need to know is described & available directly in TWB, menu point "Help", tab "Content" - Translation Memory Options (library, so click on the book option) and then click on the last point "Tools". In the first line you can read: "Use this tab to define the settings for the Analyse, Translate and Clean Up batch utilities on the Tools menu of Translator's Workbench" where the word Clean Up links to a further page with following over-complete explanation of how to proceed / what Clean Up does I quote directly from TWB Help > Help Topics.

The Clean Up command (Tools menu)
Use the Clean Up command to compare your translation with all segments in translation memory and to remove all source segments from your target text. Clean Up restores the original file extension during processing.

Note: When working with server-based translation memories, you must have Power User or TM Administrator access rights to use the Clean Up command.

Translation Memory Update
The Update TM option in the Clean Up dialog box allows you to update the translation memory in accordance with the latest changes in the translated documents. During this update process, the following considerations apply:

If you have changed the source text of one or more document translation units, Translator's Workbench automatically creates a new translation unit in translation memory.

If the target text of one or more document translation units has changed, Translator's Workbench checks the relevant text and attribute field settings before deciding whether to create a new translation unit or overwrite the existing one.

In translation memories that support multiple translations, use the Always add new TU when target segments differ setting in the Tools tab (Translation Memory Options dialog box), to add changed translations in your document to the translation memory as new translation units rather than updating existing ones.

Using the Clean Up Command
To clean up one or more texts:

From the Tools menu, choose Clean Up. The Clean Up Files dialog box is displayed.

Prepare the clean up operation as follows:

Click Options > Translation Memory Options to open the Translation Memory Options dialog box where you can check that the relevant settings for clean up are defined. For instance, to clean up XML, HTML or SGML files, you must specify the correct Tag settings files on the Tools tab.

If you are working with project and filter settings, click Options > Project and Filter Settings to open the Project and Filter Settings dialog box where you can check the current settings. These settings affect the clean up process.

Add files to the Files to Clean up list by doing one of the following:

Click Add. The Files to Clean dialog box opens. Select the required file format from the Files of type list. Locate the files you wish to clean up and click Open to add them to the Files to Clean up list.

Drag and drop the file(s) from Windows Explorer to the Files to Clean up list.

Select the required option under Changed Translations. These options only apply to documents that meet the following requirements:

The documents for clean up have been translated with Translator's Workbench. As a consequence, they contain translation units (hidden source text with target text translation). The translation memory being used for the clean up function is the same as the one that was used for the translation of the documents.

Translation units in the document have been edited without using Translator's Workbench. As explained above, this means that there are differences between the revised translation units in the document and the corresponding translation units in memory.

Select Don't Update, Don't Clean Up, Update TM and Update Document as required.

Use the Log File control to specify the log file(s) in which statistical information about the clean up operation is saved. Translator's Workbench creates two log files, one in text format with a *.log extension, one in comma-separated form with a *.csv extension. The CSV format can be directly imported into spreadsheet applications such as Microsoft Excel and presents the pre-translation results in tabular form. By default, the log files are located in the same folder and have the same file name as the current translation memory. For example, the logs for the translation memory Demo.tmw are written to files called Demo.log and Demo.csv.

To create a new log file or locate an existing log file, click Log File > Browse.

To view the log file that is currently specified, click Log File > View.

To delete the log file that is currently specified, click Log File > Delete.

Click Clean Up to start the cleaning and updating process. Translator's Workbench displays its progress on two indicators, one for the current file and one for the total number of files. When cleaning up, Translator's Workbench performs the following tasks:

It compares the translation units of your text with segments stored in translation memory. Depending on the setting under Changed Translations, Translator's Workbench may update your translation memory in accordance with changes in your document.

Unless you chose the Don't Clean Up option for Changed Translations, it removes all hidden source segments and delimiting marks from your documents. If you chose the Don't Clean Up option, all changed translation units are still in the document, with hidden source segments and delimiting marks.

If you have used the Translated Text Colours option to change the colouring of already translated parts of text, the clean up function also restores the original colouring of your text during the cleaning process.

After Clean Up
After cleaning, click View Log File to look at the log file that contains the statistical information of the cleaning process (number of updated segments and words, characters per word, number of placeables). You can open 'clean' documents themselves in Word, TagEditor or any other target application that supports the format of your clean target files.

When finished, the clean files are stored back to disk. Because Translator's Workbench removes the source text during clean up, the link to translation memory is irreversibly lost. As a result, you cannot make corrections to the cleaned up version in interactive mode — that is, using Word or TagEditor and Translator's Workbench to update the document and translation memory at the same time. For this reason, it is a good idea to make copies of the files to be cleaned up for future reference. By default, Translator's Workbench automatically makes a backup copy of each file processed during the clean up process. The backup copy has the same name as the original version with the extension .bak. If you do not wish to have an automatic backup facility, clear the Keep Backup option in the Tools tab of the Translation Memory Options dialog box.

Note: When translating content for a SDL GXT or SDL TeamWorks project, we recommend that you do not use the clean up feature on translated files. Translated files should be returned to the project originator or system in bilingual format. The translated files are cleaned automatically by the system at a later stage in the project life-cycle.

In short: click on Tools > Cleanup... add your file check the settings (according to what you wish to perform) and than on OK. In case you need to deliver the uncleaned version of the translated file, either save a copy of it with a slightly different name before cleaning it up or use the *.bak file (which appears in the same folder where you bilingual file is located after cleaning up).

Giuliana

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:29
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Read the manuals Jun 24, 2009

SDL TRADOS is a complex, powerful, complicated tool. It is not always appropriate to use it but, when it is, it can do wonders for you. Reading first how a translation memory works, and then reading the manuals, will prepare you to make it advantageous to you to use this program. These are ineludible tasks. And while you are at it, practice with old documents you have.

It is a miracle that you got to the clean up phase without experiencing any other problem; and there could be many, most of them solvable if you know what you are doing, but nerve racking nonetheless.

I am sure it would not cross your mind to attempt to save someone who is drowning if you do not how to swim and you think the sea is full of monsters. Maybe you misjudged the extent of this software. It is not easy, unless you understand it.

My well intended advice is do not accept any other job requiring TRADOS until you have read the manuals.

Katarina Andersson  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Italian to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Jun 24, 2009

As I had a document they wanted done in Trados and have only just bought and find their help manuals rather confusing, I did not have time to sit and try and find out in which help document they happened to mention about clean up of files etc.

Anyway, thanks all of you for your help and sorry for the stupid question that some of you surely thought I asked.:-)

So far I must say Wordfast and Transit are much easier CAT tools, Trados I do not really think is worth the high prizes they set as they are monopolizing the market.

Anyway, thanks again to you all!!

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:29
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Retrospective Jun 25, 2009

My advice was dictated by my experience. Same as you, I thought TRADOS was not worth the trouble. I still think that, for some types of jobs, it is not.

I never read a software manual. I always learned by intuition and imagination, and sheer guts, until TRADOS. After a few missteps I decided to dive into the manuals and ever since I have never ever had a problem that stopped me from completing my work.

I must add that, be it TRADOS or any other program, I would not have dared to accept a job if I were "new to this TRADOS thing".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent about cleaning uo word file in Trados

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search