Installing hotfix for the 'multiple translations' problem broke Studio for me
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:52
Spanish
+ ...
Jun 25, 2009

After installing the hotfix from this article (Article # 2714), Studio can't open any file. I was working on a simple Word document last night (*.doc), this morning I installed the hotfix and now I can't open any file. I created a new project from scratch but I got the same result.

But that's not the only problem, many of the dialogs are grayed out, all the options: Open project (Editor), Batch edit (Translation Memories), etc. I'm re-installing Studio right now, I hope that fixes the problem.

Has anybody else installed it?

Edit:

This is the error:
errorafterhotfix.jpg

[Edited at 2009-06-25 04:09 GMT]

Update: Uninstalling and re-installing it again fixed the problem!

[Edited at 2009-06-25 04:46 GMT]

julienwp
France
Local time: 03:52
English to French
Also had the same problem Jun 25, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

After installing the hotfix from this article (Article # 2714), Studio can't open any file. I was working on a simple Word document last night (*.doc), this morning I installed the hotfix and now I can't open any file. I created a new project from scratch but I got the same result.

But that's not the only problem, many of the dialogs are grayed out, all the options: Open project (Editor), Batch edit (Translation Memories), etc. I'm re-installing Studio right now, I hope that fixes the problem.

Has anybody else installed it?

Edit:

This is the error:
errorafterhotfix.jpg

[Edited at 2009-06-25 04:09 GMT]

Hi Claudia. I also had this problem, but it was temporary. Everything went back to normal after a restart. Anyway, this will probably make you mad, but this hotfix doesn't fix anything! I'm still experiencing this random duplicate problem. I've contacted SDL. They are looking for a solution.

The only way for you to get back on your feet is to uninstall/reinstall Studio. Your project should remain in your Documents folder.

Good luck!

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
same here, no hotfix installed (yet) Jun 25, 2009

Hi Claudia,

it has nothing to do with the hotfix from what I can tell, got to see the same corrupted window while trying to perform any of the tasks under "Batch-Tasks". Pretty non-problematic *doc, one TM opened, no MT at all (BTW, MSOffice 2007 upgrade from 2003, Suite installed), a good chance to experiment with Studio.

- work saved perfectly, next day saved file wouldn't open. Closed & restarted, file opened. It happens almost every time I open Studio the first time for the day. (Annoying and: what if in the middle of an urgent trans or large job after many days of trans the file won't open definitely?! OK, restart all, but Jesus....)

- analyse / wordcount: the first time the dialogue was created correctly with all buttons. Later on could see exactly the windows you have display here. Clicking on the document icon with the red x on the left side I could see some system.xml.xls.something.something listed various times where I was also told that I had got not enough memory (duh, 4GB, almost no programms on that PC, clean install so-to-say: FW, AV, MSOffice, Suite & Studio, and surely I had already allocated enough memory). Closed & restarted Studio: dialogue was created perfectly.

- after moving from the editor to the analysis, instead of the nice log I could see the same syste.xml.xls.etc, failed to create etc... something about Excel (MSOffice 2007 causing the trouble?!?!). Again, closed & restarted: everything fine. Performing (experimenting with) those batch-tasks (OK, and then why "batch"?! You can't actually perform more than one task at a time and even if you have only one file, you have to use that command to have - say - analyse dialogue displayes), I also realized that part of messages/error messages/dialogues (can't remember exactly to be perfectly honest) were not fully localized: I'm using the German interface and got to read some English (which is not a problem per se... but is it for the smooth functioning of the program?!)

I haven't had the time to gather more experiences (more error messages, crashes?) with Studio yet, but all these unexpected problems simply slow my working routine too much, a shame as translating in Studio is per se a pretty simple and fast operation (OK, I'm also an SDLX, DVX & Transit (NXT) user, so perhaps I'm simply used to work in similar interfaces and find my way in the editor faster than non-SDLX/Transit users).

Giuliana

Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Microsoft Office Diagnose Jun 30, 2009

Hi all,

for the record, I have just had the pleasure to see this MS tool start assessing the problem after failed-to-create-dialogue no. x hundred time. (To be honest, I had also tried a very home-made kill-Excel from task manager, once I realized that the reports are Excel youngs, hoping it'd work as it used to for MS Word & TE opening issues to no avail).

At the end, the tool told me that 1 problem was identified and 1 repaired. In case of further issues I'll be presented with further solutions.

Let's see. It seems to be an Office issue, but it has to work error-free in Studio otherwise it's a pure nightmare.

Giuliana

Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Workaround: Open Excel 2007 Jul 16, 2009

Hi,

it seems to be some sort of Vista-MSOffice 2007 issue. Whenever a previous analysis/count translated words is opened or a new one is run, Vista pops up a window "Excel is not working any longer" close it or look for a solution online.

Workaround: open Excel 2007 and then perform the task.

This issue is not to be reproduced under XP (sys)

Giuliana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing hotfix for the 'multiple translations' problem broke Studio for me

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search