Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:35
Spanish
+ ...
Jun 25, 2009

After installing the hotfix from this article (Article # 2714), Studio can't open any file. I was working on a simple Word document last night (*.doc), this morning I installed the hotfix and now I can't open any file. I created a new project from scratch but I got the same result.

But that's not the only problem, many of the dialogs are grayed out, all the options: Open project (Editor)
... See more
After installing the hotfix from this article (Article # 2714), Studio can't open any file. I was working on a simple Word document last night (*.doc), this morning I installed the hotfix and now I can't open any file. I created a new project from scratch but I got the same result.

But that's not the only problem, many of the dialogs are grayed out, all the options: Open project (Editor), Batch edit (Translation Memories), etc. I'm re-installing Studio right now, I hope that fixes the problem.

Has anybody else installed it?

Edit:

This is the error:

[Edited at 2009-06-25 04:09 GMT]

Update: Uninstalling and re-installing it again fixed the problem!

[Edited at 2009-06-25 04:46 GMT]
Collapse

julienwp (X)
julienwp (X)
France
Local time: 17:35
English to French
Also had the same problem Jun 25, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

But that's not the only problem, many of the dialogs are grayed out, all the options: Open project (Editor), Batch edit (Translation Memories), etc. I'm re-installing Studio right now, I hope that fixes the problem.

Has anybody else installed it?

Edit:

This is the error:

[Edited at 2009-06-25 04:09 GMT]

Hi Claudia. I also had this problem, but it was temporary. Everything went back to normal after a restart. Anyway, this will probably make you mad, but this hotfix doesn't fix anything! I'm still experiencing this random duplicate problem. I've contacted SDL. They are looking for a solution.

The only way for you to get back on your feet is to uninstall/reinstall Studio. Your project should remain in your Documents folder.

Good luck!

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:35
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
same here, no hotfix installed (yet) Jun 25, 2009

Hi Claudia,

it has nothing to do with the hotfix from what I can tell, got to see the same corrupted window while trying to perform any of the tasks under "Batch-Tasks". Pretty non-problematic *doc, one TM opened, no MT at all (BTW, MSOffice 2007 upgrade from 2003, Suite installed), a good chance to experiment with Studio.

- work saved perfectly, next day saved file wouldn't open. Closed & restarted, file opened. It happens almost every time I open Studio the first time
... See more
Hi Claudia,

it has nothing to do with the hotfix from what I can tell, got to see the same corrupted window while trying to perform any of the tasks under "Batch-Tasks". Pretty non-problematic *doc, one TM opened, no MT at all (BTW, MSOffice 2007 upgrade from 2003, Suite installed), a good chance to experiment with Studio.

- work saved perfectly, next day saved file wouldn't open. Closed & restarted, file opened. It happens almost every time I open Studio the first time for the day. (Annoying and: what if in the middle of an urgent trans or large job after many days of trans the file won't open definitely?! OK, restart all, but Jesus....)

- analyse / wordcount: the first time the dialogue was created correctly with all buttons. Later on could see exactly the windows you have display here. Clicking on the document icon with the red x on the left side I could see some system.xml.xls.something.something listed various times where I was also told that I had got not enough memory (duh, 4GB, almost no programms on that PC, clean install so-to-say: FW, AV, MSOffice, Suite & Studio, and surely I had already allocated enough memory). Closed & restarted Studio: dialogue was created perfectly.

- after moving from the editor to the analysis, instead of the nice log I could see the same syste.xml.xls.etc, failed to create etc... something about Excel (MSOffice 2007 causing the trouble?!?!). Again, closed & restarted: everything fine. Performing (experimenting with) those batch-tasks (OK, and then why "batch"?! You can't actually perform more than one task at a time and even if you have only one file, you have to use that command to have - say - analyse dialogue displayes), I also realized that part of messages/error messages/dialogues (can't remember exactly to be perfectly honest) were not fully localized: I'm using the German interface and got to read some English (which is not a problem per se... but is it for the smooth functioning of the program?!)

I haven't had the time to gather more experiences (more error messages, crashes?) with Studio yet, but all these unexpected problems simply slow my working routine too much, a shame as translating in Studio is per se a pretty simple and fast operation (OK, I'm also an SDLX, DVX & Transit (NXT) user, so perhaps I'm simply used to work in similar interfaces and find my way in the editor faster than non-SDLX/Transit users).

Giuliana
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Microsoft Office Diagnose Jun 30, 2009

Hi all,

for the record, I have just had the pleasure to see this MS tool start assessing the problem after failed-to-create-dialogue no. x hundred time. (To be honest, I had also tried a very home-made kill-Excel from task manager, once I realized that the reports are Excel youngs, hoping it'd work as it used to for MS Word & TE opening issues to no avail).

At the end, the tool told me that 1 problem was identified and 1 repaired. In case of further issues I'll be prese
... See more
Hi all,

for the record, I have just had the pleasure to see this MS tool start assessing the problem after failed-to-create-dialogue no. x hundred time. (To be honest, I had also tried a very home-made kill-Excel from task manager, once I realized that the reports are Excel youngs, hoping it'd work as it used to for MS Word & TE opening issues to no avail).

At the end, the tool told me that 1 problem was identified and 1 repaired. In case of further issues I'll be presented with further solutions.

Let's see. It seems to be an Office issue, but it has to work error-free in Studio otherwise it's a pure nightmare.

Giuliana
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Workaround: Open Excel 2007 Jul 16, 2009

Hi,

it seems to be some sort of Vista-MSOffice 2007 issue. Whenever a previous analysis/count translated words is opened or a new one is run, Vista pops up a window "Excel is not working any longer" close it or look for a solution online.

Workaround: open Excel 2007 and then perform the task.

This issue is not to be reproduced under XP (sys)

Giuliana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing hotfix for the 'multiple translations' problem broke Studio for me

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »