Multiterm 2009 - Editing and adding terms is slow
Thread poster: julienwp

julienwp
France
Local time: 17:28
English to French
Jun 25, 2009

Hi there,

Adding and editing terms in Multiterm 2009 is real slow. I've noticed MT launches two instances of Java (appearing in the system tray). Both are 1.6.0_13 version.

Anyone experiencing the same? Is there any way I can tell Java to start just once?

Direct link Reply with quote

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I have the same problem Jun 25, 2009

I have gotten addicted to adding terms on the fly, but with the new 2009 version, this is really inconvenient due to slow speed. It seems also impossible to add terms to Multiterm 2009 through Trados 2007 (neither through Word nor TagEditor environment).

I am now seriously considering uninstalling Multiterm 2009 and reinstalling Multiterm 2007...

Kim Booth
German to English
Incredibly slow Jun 26, 2009

Making new entries in Multiterm 2009 is so slow that it is almost unusable. I like the way that existing terminology entries are entered by just entering the first letter, but for short jobs, it is practically useless as you would spend more time waiting for the software than actually doing any work. Why on earth they use Java for this is beyond me. I suspect that is the main reason for its treacle-like performance.

julienwp
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Same on a fresh install of Windows Jun 26, 2009

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem

I thought this might come from keeping different versions of Java on my computer. Installing Multiterm on a brand new Windows system results in the same problem. Too bad! I really need to add words during translation...

English to Norwegian
+ ...
Workaround Jun 26, 2009

The only thing I can propose at the moment (except going back to MultiTerm 2007) is to have an open Excel-sheet while you are working, filling it with terms and convert it regularly to a MultiTerm-database.

It is not convenient, but better than waiting for ages...

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
SDL are working on the problem Jun 26, 2009

They are going to fix it in Service Pack 1, so I have been told.

Thanks for the idea about the Excel sheet, Bjørnar. I will do that in the meantime.

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
MultiTerm 2009 and Trados 2007 Jun 26, 2009

Same here, it's incredibly slow, I always have two instances of Java launched too and it takes ages to add or edit anything in MultiTerm. It is simply useless.
It seems also impossible to add terms to Multiterm 2009 through Trados 2007 (neither through Word nor TagEditor environment).

I am now seriously considering uninstalling Multiterm 2009 and reinstalling Multiterm 2007...
It should work in Word, even if I need a couple of attempts every day to get it to work.
As for TagEditor, it is impossible to add terms on the fly with MT 2009 indeed, which I find absolutely unacceptable as it wasn't stated anywhere when I installed it - the Knowledge Center only said it wouldn't work in the Synergy environment anymore.

[Edited at 2009-06-26 11:05 GMT]

partial workaround Jun 27, 2009

I have been battling the slow edit/add problem for a couple of days: adding a new term would take 50 to 60 seconds and the Java Control Panel would spew reams of gobbledygook. Obviously, if it takes 60 seconds to add to the term base, one is not going to get much translation work done.

I deinstalled Java 1.5._10.

Miraculously, the separately run Multiterm 2009 program came back to life: fast, responsive. New additions only taking 6 seconds instead of 60. In the Java Control Panel, a short list of terse code appears, rather than dozens of lines of code interspersed by hopelessly long delays which had being the earlier experience.

However, attempting to invoke a Termbase edit from within Trados Studio now generates Java errors ( the same ones that have been reported for years with Trados). First "the java runtime environment cannot be loaded" , (OK), followed by "several Java virtual machines running in the same process caused an error " (OK) at the second invocation.

According to the SDL website

" * SDL MultiTerm 2007 requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.5.0_10
* SDL MultiTerm 2007 SP1 requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.5.0_12"

and on this basis, I tossed Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.5.0_10.

I currently I have Javas 1.6.0_14, 1.6.0_12, and 1.5.0_12 installed. Only 1.5.0_12 is "Enabled" in the "java runtime environment settings.".

I have tried literally dozens of the suggested solutions to get rid of the Java errors mentioned above including everything suggested by Jerzy elsewhere on this site, and none of them have worked.

Since the Multiterm 2009 program is at least usable now, as a freestanding program, I am going to run it this way until SDL fix it. Wordfast has had their glossary engine integrated with the translation environment working smoothly for several years now. Still looking forward to Trados attaining this landmark.

[Edited at 2009-06-27 00:09 GMT]

julienwp
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jun 27, 2009

Thanks Tobias!

Uninstalling JRE 1.5.0_10 solved the problem for me (+using update 14).
Weird thing is I still have this issue on another computer where 1.6.0_13 is the only JRE.
My guess is 1.5.0_10 and 1.6.0_13 don't go well together. 1.6.0_13 only doesn't work, but update 14 solves everything. Hope this makes sense...

Cheers!

workaround Jun 27, 2009

[quote]JulienP wrote:

Are you now able to edit/add to /delete terms from the termbase from within Studio 2009, or was your success limited to running Multiterm 2009 as a separate application?

julienwp
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Works like a charm Jun 29, 2009

[quote] Tobias wrote:

JulienP wrote:

Are you now able to edit/add to /delete terms from the termbase from within Studio 2009, or was your success limited to running Multiterm 2009 as a separate application?

Yep! Everything seems to work perfectly. The only thing that can't be done is deleting a term from within Studio. But I think this is by design...

English to Norwegian
+ ...
A charm Jun 30, 2009

I can confirm that it work like a charm after uninstalling JRE 1.5.0_10. Multiterm and Autosuggest is a very powerful combo. The guys at Maidenhead are finally about to win me over to their side...

like a charm Jul 1, 2009

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:

I can confirm that it work like a charm after uninstalling JRE 1.5.0_10. Multiterm and Autosuggest is a very powerful combo. The guys at Maidenhead are finally about to win me over to their side...

How wonderful! I can only get Studio 2009 and Multiterm 2009 to work together intermittently and am still futzing with Java parameters to try to get them to work together consistently; however, when they do work, it is possible to add terms to the termbase directly from the studio 2009 edit window in about 10 seconds and this is about the length of my patience for what should be a simple operation.

The fastest way I have found is as follows:

Prepare by having the manually-done translation ready in the right column of the Edit window. Double-click (or Select, if more than one word) on the word to add to the termbase in Editor window left column. Double-click on its counterpart in Editor window right column. Right-click mouse; add term; quick check of termbase window; Hit F12; get on with your life.

N.B. You can select the terms in the two languages in any order: it makes no difference; they wind up populating the correct fields in the termbase.

[Edited at 2009-07-01 16:57 GMT]

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:28
Spanish
+ ...
Shortcut Jul 1, 2009

Tobias wrote:

Prepare by having the manually-done translation ready in the right column of the Edit window. Double-click (or Select, if more than one word) on the word to add to the termbase in Editor window left column. Double-click on its counterpart in Editor window right column. Right-click mouse; add term; quick check of termbase window; Hit F12; get on with your life.

You can use a shortcut to Add a new term (F11 works for me).

English to Norwegian
+ ...
Also 10 sec - any better? Jul 4, 2009

I am positive I was down 2 to sec sometimes, but now I am up to 10 sec waiting time for adding terms through Studio (like Tobias described).

Does anybody out there have shorter waiting time? Could you let me know exactly what Java versions are installed on your computers?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 2009 - Editing and adding terms is slow

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search