Bilingual file without trados tag
Thread poster: La Classe

La Classe  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:27
French to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2009

Hello!

I am trying to translate a document from English to Hindi by using Trados. The client has requested me to provide a bilingual file (English and Hindi). If I use Trados, then we get the bilingual file including Trados tag.

Is there any procedure to remove the tag to retain both source (English) and target (Hindi) text?

Please assist me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Manohar ROSHAN

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:57
Member (2008)
English to Czech
keep the tags there Jun 25, 2009

You have to keep the tags in there! (If you mean the small violet tags between sentences.)
They separate the source and target segments, i. e. are perfectly needed for a bilingual file.
Otherwise you would end up with a long useless English/Hindi/English/Hindi... mixed text with no option (for the client) to clean the file up (to use only the Hindi text).

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:57
Dutch to English
+ ...
We need more information Jun 25, 2009

What are you trying to achieve? What do you mean by bilingual file? Does your customer know you are using Trados?

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Response Jun 25, 2009

Actually, I want to give the final document to the client in the bilingual format.

Could you guide me how to remove those violet tags and yet keep the file bilingual?

The requirement for the customer is that both the source (English) and target (Hindi) should be visible at the time on the same document.

Therefore, I am searching some method by which I can remove the violet tags and not to clean the file, so that I can retain the document as bilingual.

[Edited at 2009-06-25 09:10 GMT]

Michael79  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:57
Member (2009)
English to Chinese
+ ...
there is a way,of course! Jun 25, 2009

to remove these violet tags.

Step 1:

Word('s Tool bar)--"Edit"--"Select All"

Step 2:

Word('s tool bar)--"Format"--"Font"--"Effects"--remove ticker(if any) beside "Hidden"

Step 3(important!):

Word('s tool bar)--"Edit"--"Replace"--"Find what":{0>,

Michael79  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:57
Member (2009)
English to Chinese
+ ...
quote my own post because the original content was incomplete somehow Jun 25, 2009

[quote]Michael79 wrote:

to remove these violet tags.

Step 1:

Word('s Tool bar)--"Edit"--"Select All"

Step 2:

Word('s tool bar)--"Format"--"Font"--"Effects"--remove ticker(if any) beside "Hidden"

Step 3(important!):

Word('s tool bar)--"Edit"--"Replace"--"Find what":{0>,

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:57
Dutch to English
+ ...
Michael is right Jun 25, 2009

Make sure no text is hidden.

Remove the purple tags by find and replace (replace them all by nothing except

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Jun 25, 2009

Dear Michael,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, it works perfectly.

Regards,
Manohar ROSHAN

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
why? Jun 25, 2009

Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose/effect of having bilingual file (sentence by sentence) without tags? Or is the text structured somehow?

Armando Tavano  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 05:57
Member (2006)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Another way to get rid of tags Jun 26, 2009

You can also put your cursor upon one tag, press the right button of the mouse and choose "select text with similar format". So you'll have all tags selected, at this point press backspace and voilà, all the tags have disappeared!

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 04:57
English to Spanish
For those who didn't get the idea... Jun 26, 2009

Manohar Roshan's client requests a bilingual document. That's why tags must be eliminated and the source text can be viewed. This way the customer will view just a bilingual file, with no tags and not hidden text.

PS: Octavano's tip is new to me. That's a good one! Thanks.icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2009-06-26 03:45 GMT]

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jun 26, 2009

Yes, Tadzio is right.

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unable to get the result Jun 26, 2009

I tried to follow the steps which is provided by "Actavano", when I click on the backspace, it gives me a message "Protected tag".

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
yes Jun 26, 2009

when I click on the backspace, it gives me a message "Protected tag".

In Word, click on Trados in the top menu and choose "Toggle Tag Protection" (or use ALT+CTRL+P). Now?

This way the customer will view just a bilingual file, with no tags and not hidden text.

I understand that, but I'm not sure what good it makes to see something like (replace each next pair with a different content):

Good morning! Bon giorno! Good morning! Bon giorno! Good morning! Bon giorno! Good morning! Bon giorno! Good morning! Bon giorno! Good morning! Bon giorno! Good morning! Bon giorno! Good morning! Bon giorno! Good morning! Bon giorno!

- in one endless stream...?icon_smile.gif How easy it will be to navigate through that for whatever purpose? Or is there some structure? Well just curious.icon_smile.gif

Armando Tavano  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 05:57
Member (2006)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Cut and copy Jun 26, 2009

Try it with cut and copy instead of backspace. It works for sure!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual file without trados tag

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search