Thread poster: Nigel Greenwood

Nigel Greenwood  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:45
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2009

I am trying to save a target file in TRADOS 2007, (TAGEDITOR) and it says: "IT CANNOT FIND THE SOURCE FILE" (which is in the same directory).

What can I do? I need to save the target file to comply with my deadline, (in about 2 hrs.)

If possible, can you give me your phone number and I will call you (in Spain, if possible).

Regards,

Nigel.

Direct link Reply with quote

Kobe Vander Beken  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:45
English to Dutch
+ ...
Source file has to have the same file name Jun 25, 2009

Hello Nigel,

When you try to save a target file, the source file has to have the same file name as the ttx file (without the ttx extension of course) and it has to be in the same directory.

If this is the case and it still doesn't work, I suggest you pretranslating the source file again. (open the source file in TagEditor and translate to fuzzy). That normally does the trick.

Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but ... Jun 25, 2009

I already tried that, and it doesn't pick up the TM. It was as if the file is not translated, but it is and (luckily) I have the bilingual file .ttx.

But it will not convert to Word.

Nigel.

Armando Tavano  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 21:45
Member (2006)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Changes in the source track Jun 25, 2009

Probably you have changed in some way the source track. In this case Tag Editor doesn't save the target file. You should make the same changes in the source file.
Best regards.

Carolyn Denoncourt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:45
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Could you perhaps clean the file through the Translator's Workbench? Jun 25, 2009

If you are translating for an agency, you may want to alert them now to the problem by sending them your translated file along with your source file and ask them if they are able to clean it while you continue to try to solve the problem yourself.

First make a copy of your translated file, then try things.
It sounds like you are trying to clean the file within TagEditor by saving the file there -- which should work. You can also try to clean the file by using the Translator's Workbench, (the TM) under the Tools menu.
If this does not work, you may want to run a "Repair" on the Trados program. This is explained in the documentation. You do it by going to the Windows Control Panel, then Add/Remove Programs. Find your SDL Trados 2007 Freelance program in the list (alphabetical). Then click on Click here for Support. Then click on Repair.

Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now the error message changes, Jun 25, 2009

Now instead of saying that it cannot find the source file, it says "Error while converting fields to word document", and it does not save the Target file.

I tried the Workbench Clean Up but, of course, there is no file.

Now, I'll try to repair the program.

Nigel.

Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Same problem Jun 25, 2009

I had the same problem when I worked with a TagEditor file I had created but that had been proofread by another translator.

Actually, the transaltion agency solved the problem for me and I never found out what they did to solve the problem. It would be interesting to hear what you did and what can remedy the problem.

Elke

Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is a complete disaster, it just refuses to file the traget in Word file Jun 25, 2009

I have repaired TRADOS as you suggest. But it still gives back the same message.

Does anyone know how I can use a TRADOS 2007 TM in Wordfast?

I am very desperate, and will do anything.

Nigel.

Pompeo Lattanzi
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
SDL could at least say where it does find a difference... Jun 25, 2009

actavano wrote:

Probably you have changed in some way the source track. In this case Tag Editor doesn't save the target file. You should make the same changes in the source file.
Best regards.

I'm using Trados 2007 and I get a similar phenomenon, probably due to the same reasons: updating the TM doesn't work, because "start of mainsegment is missing". Ah well, it can happen with all those invisible characters and tabs, but it is a stupid program one that doesn't accept the change or at least signals WHERE the difference/mishap has occurred.
In fact I'm on this forum exactly because I'm looking for a remedy (I'm sure plenty of people had the same problem).
The only reason for using TMs in any case is to retain memory of work done (although I would have a lot to say about how Trados segments...), if it doesn't do at least that... I doubt I'll put some more of my hard earned money on "Studio"....

AdamsTransSC  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Error while converting fields to word document Aug 4, 2009

Just had this problem myself. To rectify, open the source file again, go to Tools - Options - Verification and select "Strict". Deselect "Don't check tabs when translating to fuzzy". Then go to the Protection tab and make sure "Protect tabs" - "All tabs" and "Show warning..." are selected. If you now run through the file on fuzzy, you will get a warning for the segments with incorrect field tabs - this is what was preventing the save. Once you've corrected them, the document should save back to Word as normal.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help, I cannot save the target file in TRADOS 2007

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search