A few practical questions on installing SDLT 2009
Thread poster: Antoní­n Otáhal

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 08:37
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Jun 25, 2009

I bought the SDL Trados Studio 2009 some time ago. It does not seem critical for my immediate working needs to actually install it, but I have a few questions about the installation:

(1) Is it a good time to install it now, or should I wait a little longer?

(2) I received the AutoSuggest licensing data, but there is no extra AutoSuggest download available on my account. Is that as it should be, i.e., perhaps it is always installed and only activated if you have the special data, or should AutoSuggest be downloadable as an extra component?

(3) Can I keep SDLT Studio 2007 on my working computer and have SDLT 2009 on the experimental computer (i.e., each of them on a separate machine)?

TiA

Antonin


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:37
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is not a general answer Jun 25, 2009

As for 1) - if you don't need Studio for working, wait.
As far I know you, you would prefer working with Transit. If you are good in Transit, Sudio will not bring you much - maybe even nothing - in your workflow.

2) I do not know, sorry - I've got everything in place I think. Here I would contact SDL sales people.

3) I do not know the official statement, but I was told, that Studio will work without Trados 2007. However I did not test that.
On the other hand Studio needs Trados 2007 Suite (8.3.0.863) for updating Trados TMs. If your TMs are available as TMX, you can create new TMs and use TMX to fill them.
OTOH Studio and Trados 2007 do very well coexist on one machine.
From my personal point of view, upgrade to Studio makes sense for someone like me, working mainly with Trados.

Best regards
Jerzy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:37
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
One more thing Jun 25, 2009

Uninstalling the existing software seems to be an important step.

It took me a long time to be able to activate the Studio 2009 licence. I followed the instructions provided everywhere, but returning the SDL Trados 2007 Freelance licence did not work. It was until I uninstalled the software after returning the licence when I could be able to get the Studio 2009 licence at the Trados Website in My Account page. I don't know if uninstalling the existing software was in the bunch of instructions; the fact is that with so much ado I had (as many colleagues did) a hard time to activate Studio 2009.

Regards,

ES


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 03:37
English to Portuguese
Yes to all, IMHO... Jun 25, 2009

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:
(1) Is it a good time to install it now, or should I wait a little longer?

(2) I received the AutoSuggest licensing data, but there is no extra AutoSuggest download available on my account. Is that as it should be, i.e., perhaps it is always installed and only activated if you have the special data, or should AutoSuggest be downloadable as an extra component?

(3) Can I keep SDLT Studio 2007 on my working computer and have SDLT 2009 on the experimental computer (i.e., each of them on a separate machine)?


Hello Antonín

(1)In my opinion yes. Will not do any harm and you can get acquainted with it... I keep it along 2007 to translate small files, but use Suite Freelance 2007 because of client's demands (bilingual Word files etc.);

(2)Yes, the option stays greyed out until you activate the specific license. It is already there (Main Menu: "Tools"> "Generate AutoSuggest Dictionary...")

(3)Both activated on the same or in separate computers: they have individual licenses.

Rgds

Edric


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 08:37
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So far so good Jun 26, 2009

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

From my personal point of view, upgrade to Studio makes sense for someone like me, working mainly with Trados.



You are of course right, but only as long as agencies do not begin request work in the SDLT2009 format. This may actually happen and, from contributions elsewhere on this forum, I got an impression that a general xliff tool will not help me for such jobs, or will it?

A more general question therefore is: are there tools which will enable me working on SDLT2009 jobs without actually using SDLT2009? Perhaps it is too early and I will have to wait until other CAT tools include this format into their processing capacity.

Antonin


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:37
French to Polish
+ ...
Third party tools... SDLX... Jun 26, 2009

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:


You are of course right, but only as long as agencies do not begin request work in the SDLT2009 format. This may actually happen and, from contributions elsewhere on this forum, I got an impression that a general xliff tool will not help me for such jobs, or will it?[/quote]
SDL XLIFF is not a classic XLIFF, so a standard XLIFF tool will probably corrupt your SDLT 2009 file (tested on Swordfish some time ago).

A more general question therefore is: are there tools which will enable me working on SDLT2009 jobs without actually using SDLT2009?

For a moment, no, AFAIK.

Perhaps it is too early and I will have to wait until other CAT tools include this format into their processing capacity.

I suppose some filters will be available shortly.
I think Swordfish and MemoQ will be the first ones.
As both generate standard and/or "industry standard" files (XLIFF and/or Trados bilingual), you'll be able to use 'em as converters

PS.
You should take a look on SDLX.
It behaves surprisingly well with XLIFF like files with custom extensions.
I didn't test it but it may work.

Cheers
GG


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:37
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Certainly there will be others Jun 26, 2009

reading SDLXLIFF, as they can read TTX.
It will just take a few weeks.

But working in Studio itself is not a horror

Best
Jerzy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:37
French to Polish
+ ...
CAT hops... Jun 26, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

reading SDLXLIFF, as they can read TTX.
It will just take a few weeks.

But working in Studio itself is not a horror


And of course, too many CAT hops may be painful

E.g. you open a non standard XLIFF in SDLX, then you convert it to TTX (easy) and juggle with the TTX with your preferred CAT.
I used this kind of workflow mainly for Logoport XLIFF.

For larger projects you need some automation...

Cheers
GG


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
Local time: 08:37
German to French
+ ...
AutoSuggest license Jun 26, 2009

Edric Barbosa Filho wrote:
(2)Yes, the option stays greyed out until you activate the specific license. It is already there (Main Menu: "Tools"> "Generate AutoSuggest Dictionary...")
I have the license in my account, I haven't activated it yet, but the option you mention is not greyed out, I can use it.
I was wondering about that too, I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the AutoSuggest license in my account.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Studio 2009 import filter for DVX Jun 26, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Perhaps it is too early and I will have to wait until other CAT tools include this format into their processing capacity.

I suppose some filters will be available shortly.
I think Swordfish and MemoQ will be the first ones.
As both generate standard and/or "industry standard" files (XLIFF and/or Trados bilingual), you'll be able to use 'em as converters


Some time ago, I heard through the grapevines that some amateurish but working import filter for Studio 2009 has been created by a DVX user. Maybe worth asking in the Atril forums.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 03:37
English to Portuguese
My version is less tolerant... :) Jun 26, 2009

Françoise Périgaut wrote:
I have the license in my account, I haven't activated it yet, but the option you mention is not greyed out, I can use it.
I was wondering about that too, I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the AutoSuggest license in my account.


Funny, Françoise, that menu option was greyed out in my installation until I activated the specific license. Only after that it became "clickable"...

Rgds

Edric


Direct link Reply with quote
 

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:37
English to French
+ ...
No, this still isn't in the instructions - what are they waiting for??? Jun 27, 2009

Elías Sauza wrote:

It was until I uninstalled the software after returning the licence when I could be able to get the Studio 2009 licence at the Trados Website in My Account page. I don't know if uninstalling the existing software was in the bunch of instructions; the fact is that with so much ado I had (as many colleagues did) a hard time to activate Studio 2009.

I just read all of the instructions, and they mention absolutely nothing about actually having to uninstall the software before the licence can be returned. I just returned my 2007 Freelance licence, the software works in demo mode, but SDL's website says I still have the licence (which is not true). What are they waiting for to add this small albeit extremely important information to the upgrade instructions???

In any case, thank you for reporting your experience. I was just about to flip at the process. I had a hard time bringing myself to upgrade. What I am doing is upgrading this time around, but this will most likely be my last upgrade. Until the new upgrade comes out, I will be shopping for a new CAT tool (Déjà Vu seems to be the one in my case) and learning to use it. By the next upgrade, I will hopefully be up and running on a new CAT tool, and my clients will hopefully understand that it is compatible with what they do. Since TagEditor is being cycled out, the compatibility gap between different CAT tools is narrowing. All this to say that I had a myriad of reasons not to upgrade, and when I finally decided to do so, it took less than five minutes for things to go terribly wrong (returned licence SDL refuses to acknowledge). Things aren't starting out too well...

Thanks for your tip - I will go try it out now!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Carmen Cross  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:37
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Thanks for Your Info!! Jun 27, 2009

Dear Elías,

I, too, would like to thank you for this information!! This is going to sound daft, but in what order did you do the procedure-I assume first install Trados 2007 (or whatever version you have), return the license, uninstall the product, download Studio 2009 and then install it. I am having so much trouble with this process I am about to go crazy!!

Carmen


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:37
English to Czech
+ ...
Activate Jun 28, 2009

Françoise Périgaut wrote:

Edric Barbosa Filho wrote:
(2)Yes, the option stays greyed out until you activate the specific license. It is already there (Main Menu: "Tools"> "Generate AutoSuggest Dictionary...")
I have the license in my account, I haven't activated it yet, but the option you mention is not greyed out, I can use it.
I was wondering about that too, I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the AutoSuggest license in my account.


You can activate it over the License Manager to create AutoSuggest dictionaries.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A few practical questions on installing SDLT 2009

Advanced search







Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search