How do I update my TM with a clean target file?
Thread poster: Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer

Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:26
English to German
+ ...
Jun 26, 2009

I translated a huge file a while ago (English-German) and got the proofread file back. The corrected file is the German file (not bilingual) with tagged corrections. I also have the original source file. Now I have to update my TM. I know that I have to turn the track marks off.

Is there any way to include the new German file into the TM without rewriting the corrections? When I open it with Trados, I only get the German as the source file. Can I change the file back to an unclean bilingual file? Or what else could be done?

Thank you,

Hildegard

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:26
English to French
+ ...
WinAlign Jun 26, 2009

The only solution I can see in this case is to align the source and target files using WinAlign. However, the segments will not perfectly match, as WinAlign doesn't always segment files the way Workbench does (it would be wise to read the relevant sections of the manual for setting segmentation rules in WinAlign - this could help you replicate Workbench's segmentation rules in WinAlign as faithfully as possible).

What I would do in your situation is to align the source and target documents to create a separate TM (let's call it TM B). Then, I would open a copy of the original source file, open the first segment and use the Translate to Fuzzy command with TM B. It will implement all 100% matches and will stop at the first segment that does not have a 100% match in TM B. At this point, you would implement the corrections in the files sent by the reviewer. You will probably not need to implement every single correction - TM B should already present lots of 100% matches with corrections already implemented. So, this would be less work than correcting your original TM by hand.

Once you are done with the entire file, export TM B. Then, open the original TM and import TM B into it. Make sure you specify in the import settings that existing translations should be overwritten (this will have the effect of replacing your original translation with the updated one proposed by the reviewer).

If your file is fairly large (more than 10,000 words), make sure you have at least a few hours to do this. Either way, this will not be a 15-minute activity, unless there were very few corrections (in which case I would simply implement them by hand).

I would also suggest to the client to have their reviewer make corrections directly in the bilingual file. That would help you save a lot of time. If your client expects you to work using a CAT tool, then it is very likely that the reviewer can also use it. If you worked in TagEditor, you can use ApSic Comparator to spot changes implemented by the reviewer. If you worked in Word, the reviewer only needs to use tracked changes so you can easily spot the corrections.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is worth a try Jun 26, 2009

If I don't get an easier solution I will try this over the weekend with a copy of my files. It sounds complicated and time consuming and you are right, life would be sooo much easier if translator and proofreader would use the same tools. But who said life should be easy. Thank you for your suggestions.

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Perhaps this will work, but I have not tried Jun 27, 2009

Make az Excel table (1st column – source sentences, 2nd column – the new corrected target sentences (each line must be a translation unit);
make a Trados termbase from this;
open the original source file in Tageditor, open the termbase and create a new (empty) translation memory;
I think Trados will recognize that the source sentence is in the termbase and will display the target sentence in the term recognition window, so after pressing the "Get current term” button, the target sentence goes to the right place;
go through the whole text quickly by alternatively pressing the „Get current term” button and the „Set/Close next Open/Get” button.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:26
English to French
+ ...
Word files? Jun 27, 2009

I wonder if you worked on Word files. If that is the case, then even if the reviewer doesn't use a CAT tool, they can use tracked changes on the bilingual version (they can deactivate the Show hidden text setting in Word so as not to be distracted by the source segments). Just make sure the reviewer is careful not to touch the segment delimiters.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Jun 27, 2009

ViktoriaG wrote:

... they can use tracked changes on the bilingual version...

That is exactly the problem. They did not use the bilingual file but the final German text.

@ Istvan: I don't think this is a solution with such a large text.

I think I will have to make the correction in the German file, send that back to the client, and ask them to update the TM on their side and send it back to me. They should have the necessary tools to do it faster than I can.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I do it my way ... Jun 27, 2009

1. I convert the original bilingual file to a two-column table in RTF (using the ever-green named PlusToyz)
2. I can then either
2a) fill the target column with the new accepted/acceptable version, or
2b) add a third column (old vs new) to allow or disallow the suggested changes etc
3. Once done, I convert the 2-column table back to TRADOS-readable form to update TM

Regards

Vito

[EDIT]Probably one can just as well forget 2b) - it is an issue, that does not have much to do with updating the target segments in your TM.

[Edited at 2009-06-27 17:51 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I update my TM with a clean target file?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search