Studio 2009 working on 64-bit Windows
Thread poster: Edric Barbosa Filho

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 22:18
English to Portuguese
Jun 27, 2009

Since Beta there were issues with 64-bit Windows systems, but now the last MTerm incompatibility was fixed, and both Studio and MTerm 2009 are working on my Windows Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit (build 7232 and later). Even the Preview is working OK so far...

The MTerm patch should be available anytime soon, I guess, after QA tests by SDL.

Now I can use it along with Suite Freelance 2007 on the same machine, switching as needed when my clients demand Word bilingual files.

Edric

Jaakko Heikkila  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:18
Member (2006)
English to Finnish
Good news Jun 29, 2009

Thanks, Edric. This is good news.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why 64-bit? Jun 29, 2009

I wonder now: why 64 bits? Is there any significant performance advantage? Looks interesting!

Jaakko Heikkila  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:18
Member (2006)
English to Finnish
64-bit systems Jun 29, 2009

Tomás,

Basically, a 64-bit operating system allows the CPU to handle memory more efficiently, so in theory it should allow for performance gains as well. I thought about this when I purchased my latest Windows license, and decided to go 64-bit. In hindsight, I should have known better: many software makers still focus mainly on 32-bit systems and some don't even provide support for 64-bit systems (QED).

You can find more information at http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/41531554-d5ef-4f2c-8fb9-149bdc5c8a701033.mspx

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
64-bit allows more than 3 GB of RAM... Jun 29, 2009

For me, the basic advantage of 64-bit systems is the memory management beyond 3 GB. Running Windows has always demanded large memory, and you can really see the difference of, say, 6 GB of RAM.

The main reason is that Windows need lots of memory and, when it does not have it in RAM, it uses the hard drive as a "temporary RAM", a thing called "paging". When it needs more RAM, it stores data it's not using at the time in the hard disc, frees that RAM, uses it, get it back when needed and so forth. That takes time...

You can see the results of a big RAM available when you reorganize a large Trados memory, or makes a conversion in MTerm. Its much faster.Besides, Windows 64-bit is the same price as Windows 32-bit and, with RAM prices so low nowadays, you just put some more for a motherboard and a 64-bit CPU.

Anyone who uses Intel CoreDuo and later has the "power" of 64-bit. The main complaint is that it does not recognize some old hardware, something pretty hard on companies, because they have to make huge upgrade investments, but for an individual, I don't think so...

Rgds

Edric

Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Does SDL confirm that? Jun 29, 2009

Edric Barbosa Filho wrote:

Now I can use it along with Suite Freelance 2007 on the same machine, switching as needed when my clients demand Word bilingual files.

Edric

Hi Eric,

Is that with some pre-release Beta version of SDL Studio, or the final release SDL Studio version?

The reason why I'm asking is because SDL says in its website that Studio (or maybe just MultiTerm) does NOT run in 64 bit systems...

I, same as you, though, very much wish it did run in 64 bit OS systems, so I could use as much RAM as I like.

Best,
Jose

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
It is the very one available... Jun 29, 2009

Jose Ruivo wrote:
Is that with some pre-release Beta version of SDL Studio, or the final release SDL Studio version?
The reason why I'm asking is because SDL says in its website that Studio (or maybe just MultiTerm) does NOT run in 64 bit systems...

Olá José

No, it is not another version, it is the very one available. SDL would be totally crazy now if they said Studio 2009 would work in 64-bit systems ...icon_smile.gif

Fact is the software IS compiled on (and specifically for) a 32-bit development environment. Windows Vista 64-bit AND Windows 7 64-bit emulate a 32-bit system to run 32 bit programs, if not those applications could not be run: most are developed on 32 bit environments (C++, VBA, C#, .NET etc). The 64-bit OS detects that and acts accordingly. There is even a dedicated folder on Windows 64 for 32-bit applications ("/Program Files (x86)") AND a compatibility wizard to run legacy apps.

SDL cannot say Studio 2009 works because the problems must be ironed out first for 32-bit OS before QA Studio on 64.

Why not having both? You have 2 licenses... Try iticon_smile.gif

Forte abraço

Edric

[Edited at 2009-06-29 14:24 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 working on 64-bit Windows

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search