SDL Trados Workbench 2007 v.8.0 crashes - Memory Maintenance
Thread poster: motuzik
motuzik
Slovakia
Local time: 09:06
Jun 29, 2009

Hi all,

I am a bit at a loss with Workbench. I have a small TM (not more than 3000 units) that crashes each time I try to do some basic maintenance ops, e.g. use Find & Replace to change the author,

or,

Sometimes just listing the units inside the maintenance window causes Workbench to crash.

Formerly it happened after viewing around 800 units, then I exported and reimported the TUs with the result of Workbench crashing after I list through around 2000 units.
Repeating the export import tricks does not do the job.

I cannot really imagine how am I going to use the program when the memory grows large, when there is basically nothing it can do with managing a couple thousand TUs now.

I am using the good ole WIN XP with SP3, PC has got a 3.0Ghz Intel and 2 Gigs of RAM.

Could anyone shed some light upon this issue?

I would be eternaly grateful,

Best Regards,

Matus

P.S. I searched the forum for crashes during maintenance and did not find anything close to my topic. I envy all the happy users of the software, more so as I am having problems with it more often than not.

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Reorganise Jun 29, 2009

Hi Matus,

Have you tried reorganising the TM (from the File menu in Trados)?

It's a good idea to do this on a regular basis.

HTH

Giles

motuzik
Slovakia
TOPIC STARTER
YES Jun 29, 2009

Hi Giles,

the answer is yes, unfortunately. I have imported a part of the TUs from Winalign and reorganized then and also a while ago when trying to get the memory back to normal. The problem is I do not know how old the issue might be, as the first time I have tried the maintenance commands was yesterday...

Thanks for posting it helps to keep my spirits high

Matus

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
crashes Jun 29, 2009

Hi

I remember something similar but a lot of time ago
I think to remember that some TUs contained conversion tags that interfered with Trados memory engine

if you like, you can send me this fault memory (in txt export format) and I'll examine it

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2009-06-29 14:33 GMT]

motuzik
Slovakia
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 30, 2009

Hi Claudio,

that sounds terrific! Thanks for your offer to help. I will send you the file right away.

The memory crashes (when listing 99 segments per page) at the position 2079, in case you would want to replicate my problem.

Thanks again for helping.

Regards,

Matus

[Edited at 2009-06-30 15:50 GMT]

Italy
crashes Jul 1, 2009

as I said to Matus in my e-mail:

the first thing I see is that a half of "target language tag" is missing
see here:
< Seg L=EN-US >
< Seg L=SK >

in my italian memories, the couple is
< Seg L=EN-US >
< Seg L=IT-IT >
may be the second "SK" lack is the problem

so, try first to change (with Notepad) all occurrencies of < Seg L=SK > with < Seg L=SK-SK >
see if it helps and let me knows
***BUT NOTE*** that to show these piece of code in this forum window I had to put " a space after < " and " a space before > ", so you must remove that spaces!

Notepad is perfect for this kind of work, as long as the memory is < 1 MB or so; otherwise, is better to use ConTEXT or similar advanced text editors

furthermore, I see many pieces of text included in braces } and may be it is another issue as this kind of bracket is used by Trados to enclose TUs

las but not least, something is lacking before
< RTF Preamble >

Alll my export txt files have here a text with the Trados export utility ID
< TWBExportFile version="7.0" generator="TW4Win" build="8.2.0.835" >

I don't know if this deficiency is important, but you can try it, as a second line

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2009-07-01 14:03 GMT]

Italy
position 2079 Jul 1, 2009

I see now the position 2079 issue, but I can't localize it in Notepad
can you select and copy-paste this TU and send it to me or put it in the forum so I can do a look?

Claudio

motuzik
Slovakia
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Claudio, Jul 1, 2009

thanks for some ideas as to where to look for problems within the tm export.

as to the specific issues:

1. < Seg L=SK> - seems to be a correct segment tag for Slovak as it does not have any regional varieties (actually it has, but none worth including in a CAT software), so there is no need to suffix the language code as in e.g. for the American variety. At least it works in all previous 2000+ TUs.

2. the formatting brackets "{" and "}" do not seem to be the core of the problem, at least not their occurrence in the segments, as they are virtually in each segment, while Workbench crashes at segment No. 2193 I think..., but they certainly are a problem. I assume it has definitely not been the best idea to translate within Word directly, because of the messy way Word works with Styles and Formatting, that has caused occurences of more than 80(!) font types ranging from basic ones to Thai and Vietnamese versions within the target text.

3. With the help of your ideas I have searched the text and identified the "breakpoint" or rather the break-down point.. When viewing the TUs one by one, this is the last one that displays:

< TrU>
< CrD>01062009, 12:09:08
< CrU>MM
< Seg L=EN-US >Copy the {\b ekrnSmonBL.dat} and {\b ekrnSmonWL.dat} files to the same directory on the target computer.
< Seg L=SK>{\f54 Skopírujte súbory }{\b\f50 ekrnSmonBL.dat}{\f50 a }{\b\f50 ekrnSmonWL.dat }{\f50 z tohto a}{\f54 dresára do toho istého adresára na cieľovom počítači, na ktorý chcete tieto zoznamy exportovať.}
< /TrU>

while when trying to open the following, Workbench crashes:

< TrU>
< CrD>01062009, 12:09:08
< CrU>MM
< Seg L=EN-US>{\f50 (If you cannot see the Application Data folder, click }{\b\f50 Start} {\b\f53 \uc1\u8594 ?} {\b\f50 Control Panel} {\b\f53 \uc1\u8594 ?} {\b\f50 Folder Options} {\b\f53 \uc1\u8594 ?} {\b\f50 View}{\f50 tab }{\b\f53 \uc1\u8594 ?}{\f50 select }{\b\f50 Show hidden files and folders}{\f50 .)}
< Seg L=SK>{\f54 (v prípade, že sa Vám nezobrazil adresár "Dáta Aplikácií", kliknite na }{\b\f54 Štart} {\b\f54 \uc1\u8594 ›} {\b\f54 Nastavenia \uc1\u8594 › Ovládací panel} {\b\f54 \uc1\u8594 ›} {\b\f54 Možnosti priečinka} {\b\f54 \uc1\u8594 ›}{\f50 karta }{\b\f54 Náhľad} {\b\f54 \uc1\u8594 ›} {\b\f54 Zobraziť skryté súbory a priečinky}{\f54 (označte pole)}
< /TrU>

I cannot see what is causing the crashdown. Yet.

What I will try to do is glue all source files into one, remove all extra formatting in Word, then update the current memory to get rid of all the \f tags, and other garbage.

I will write as soon as I have something.

Thanks for your support.

Matus

[Edited at 2009-07-01 14:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-07-01 14:16 GMT]

motuzik
Slovakia
TOPIC STARTER
Probably the chars.. Jul 1, 2009

I think it is caused by special characters that are not available within all fonts trados uses. They are the slovak special charsets of letter as e.g. ľščťžýáíé etc...

this is an another TU causing the problem:

< bpt i="1" type="font">{\f61 Ako vytvorím Mirror adresár }{\f62 s aktualiza่nmi s๚bormi pre ESET NOD32 Antivirus/ESET Smart Security na po่ํta่i s Windows za použitia ESET Security pre Linux/FreeBSD verzie?}

If this is true, then "only" a question of how to efficiently clean up the memory remains...

I will try the way I descibed in my preceding post.

let you know...

Italy
Probably the chars.. Jul 1, 2009

...mmm may be
indeed Trados recommends to handle all Word files with a Cleanup before translating, so the memory doesn't fill with unuseful garbage
;-D
the only problem is that removing unused fonts and unused styles can corrupt complex layouts

Claudio

motuzik
Slovakia
TOPIC STARTER
FONT TAGS Jul 3, 2009

Hi Claudio,

seems we were sniffing in the right direction after all.

I have removed all font tags from the memory. With some difficulties and the help of Olifant (a free TM editor supporting regular expressions, that I highly recommend). I assume the problem was caused by too many font tags within the TUs.
I have been using Arial Unicode MS, but Trados decided it would replace the font at any occurrence of diacritics by Times New Roman. This resulted in a mess.

Just for the sake of an example here is one simple sentence:

ENGLISH:
You can renew your ESET security product's license online starting 60 days prior to the expiration date.

SLOVAK:
< seg>< bpt i="1" type="font">{\f50 < /bpt>Licenciu k}< /ept> < bpt i="2" type="font">{\f50 < /bpt>V}< /ept>áš{\f50 < /bpt>mu bezpe< ept i="3">}< /ept>č< bpt i="4" type="font">{\f50 < /bpt>nostn< ept i="4">}< /ept>é< bpt i="5" type="font">{\f50 < /bpt>mu produktu ESET si m< ept i="5">}< /ept>ôž< bpt i="6" type="font">{\f50 < /bpt>ete obnovi< ept i="6">}< /ept>ť< bpt i="7" type="font">{\f50 < /bpt> online a< ept i="7">}< /ept> < bpt i="8" type="font">{\f50 < /bpt>to po< ept i="8">}< /ept>čí< bpt i="9" type="font">{\f50 < /bpt>naj< ept i="9">}< /ept>ú< bpt i="10" type="font">{\f50 < /bpt>c obdob< ept i="10">}< /ept>í< bpt i="11" type="font">{\f50 < /bpt>m 60 dn< ept i="11">}< /ept>í< bpt i="12" type="font">{\f50 < /bpt> pred vypr< ept i="12">}< /ept>š< bpt i="13" type="font">{\f50 < /bpt>an< ept i="13">}< /ept>í< bpt i="14" type="font">{\f50 < /bpt>m licencie.< ept i="14">}< /ept>< /seg>

I just guess this multiplied by thousands was too much for Workbench to chew on?

Anyway, grazie Claudio!

Matus

P.S. The maintenance tool in Workbench is a joke.

[Edited at 2009-07-03 13:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-07-03 13:24 GMT]

Italy
font tags Jul 3, 2009

thank to you Matus
you taught me a lot of useful things!
for example, the Olifant tool
I'll try it for sure

Claudio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Workbench 2007 v.8.0 crashes - Memory Maintenance

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search