Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:15
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jun 29, 2009

How much sense does it make to translate in Tag Editor documents which could be translated in Word?

Do you find Word environment more friendly or prefer to translate everything in Tag Editor?

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Helen Matthews
Helen Matthews  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:15
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Depends on type of text, but.... Jun 29, 2009

This is sth I've come up against very recently, in fact...

I have to admit I absolutely loathe translating texts of a more 'literary' nature in tag editor. The way I usually work (draft version then re-read hiding the original text to make it sound natural), tag editor is an absolute nightmare, and I'm sure the end result isn't as good.

On the other hand, I have on the odd occasion chosen to translate a word document with tag editor, where it's contained lots of text b
... See more
This is sth I've come up against very recently, in fact...

I have to admit I absolutely loathe translating texts of a more 'literary' nature in tag editor. The way I usually work (draft version then re-read hiding the original text to make it sound natural), tag editor is an absolute nightmare, and I'm sure the end result isn't as good.

On the other hand, I have on the odd occasion chosen to translate a word document with tag editor, where it's contained lots of text boxes, tables, odd formatting etc... and generally speaking we're talking about more technical documents in this case.

From what I gather, the new version of Trados isn't going to let us translate word documents directly in word any more so we're going to have to use tag editor.... and this is 'progress'?

Perhaps someone out there can explain the benefits to me of using tag editor for 'normal', more 'literary' translations? (novels, press releases etc. etc.)
Collapse

Inga Jakobi
Inga Jakobi  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:15
Member (2006)
Chinese to German
+ ...
TagEditor for word files with complex formatting Jun 29, 2009

Hi,

I actually prefer the word environment, but (like Helen) I choose TagEditor for word files that contain many text boxes, tables, enumerations etc. just because complex formatting can cause a lot of trouble when translating in word. Although it may take some time to get used to TagEditor, it makes translation faster and less complicated when it is not just a plain text without any special "features".

Cheers,

Inga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Word with Tag Editor

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »