Imported a txt file into the wrong TM by mistake
Thread poster: Andrea Riffo

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:54
English to Spanish
Jun 29, 2009

Hi all,

I imported a trados txt file into the wrong TM by mistake (i.e., Project A's txt into Project B's TM). Is there any way to delete the imported segments from Project B's TM??

Thanks a million for your help.

Andrea

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Export with filter? Jun 29, 2009

I believe the way to do it is another export, but filtered by "Created on". I have never done it so you will have to search a bit or read again the documentation about TM management to know exactly how.

"Use the Export command to export some or all of the contents of a translation memory to a text file. This is particularly useful when you want to create a secure backup of your translation memory or when you want to invert the source and target languages.

Note: This command is subject to access restrictions. When working with file-based translation memories, the Export command is only available when you open the translation memory in exclusive access mode with a super user password. When working with server-based translation memories, the Export command is only available when you have TM Administrator access rights.

To export translation memory data to an external text file:

Open the translation memory you want to export.

From the File menu, choose Export. The Export dialog box is displayed.

The Constraints list specifies which fields will be used to identify translation units for export.

To export the entire translation memory, leave this list empty.

To export a subset of translation units only, define export constraints by selecting items as required from the Fields list..."

[Edited at 2009-06-29 23:50 GMT]

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:54
German to Spanish
Filtering Jun 30, 2009

Hi Luisa,

In another place I have made a little tutorial for export parts of a TM.

It is in spanish.

http://www.ndet.org/foro/showthread.php?tid=640&highlight=exportar

Regards

Fernando

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 12:54
German
+ ...
No need to export Jun 30, 2009

Just use the maintenance function, set the filters there, display 99 matches at once (the maximum) and "delete translation units from current list".

If you have significantly more than a couple of hundred wrong units in your TM, then the idea of exporting, creating a new TM and importing the right units again might be faster, though.

HTH,

Benjamin

P.S.: Be sure to reorganize the TM afterwards.

[Edited at 2009-06-30 10:44 GMT]

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Thanks, Fernando Jun 30, 2009

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Hi Luisa,

In another place I have made a little tutorial for export parts of a TM.

It is in spanish.

http://www.ndet.org/foro/showthread.php?tid=640&highlight=exportar

Regards

Fernando

Thanks a lot Fernando. Excellent! So far I have not found myself in that predicament but I figured it had to be possible.

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 30, 2009

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Turns out, I had a txt backup file of Project B's TM (the one into which I imported a wrong file) from before the incident, in my pendrive. The last project I did with that TM is missing from the backup, but it's only a 5,000 word translation and I have the uncleaned files, so I can easily update the TM. So, I ended up doing somethin akin to Benjamin's suggestion: I deleted the whole TM, created it again from scratch, and imported the backup file.

This makes me incredibly lucky, since the file I mistakenly imported has 25,000+ units (and Project B's TM has about 10,000 in its own right), so it would've been a titanic job to filter them out either way (maintenance function or the export function).icon_razz.gif

Greetings all!

Andrea

(Fernando, long time no see)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Imported a txt file into the wrong TM by mistake

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search